Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Liz Truss - why didn't we realise?

261 replies

ARoyalSubject · 28/09/2022 11:06

Turn the clock back a month, and we knew she was stupid, and that more than likely she was the wrong choice for a sensible, responsible prime minister - but did people join the dots and realise that she was such an ideologue / so in thrall to ideologues?

AIBU to say that the media didn't spell out exactly what a Truss premiership meant?

She and Kwazi have written a book on exactly what's happening now for god's sake! Why wasn't the possibility they would act on it examined in more detail?

I'm not a member of the Tory party - did they realise what they were voting for?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

469 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
45%
You are NOT being unreasonable
55%
MolliciousIntent · 28/09/2022 11:07

Yes, and that's why they voted for her!

Icanstillrecallourlastsummer · 28/09/2022 11:08

when you say we, are you one of the people who voted for her?

But yes, I think it was clear as day that she was an idiot.

namechange30455 · 28/09/2022 11:09

This, I'm afraid!

Sprogonthetyne · 28/09/2022 11:10

It's not like we actually voted for her, so what would you have done differently if it had been "spelled out". The tories who voted for her will have been vary aware, and in favour Angry

Stripyhoglets1 · 28/09/2022 11:11

I realised she'd do this.
Don't know why others didn't.
Also members wanted a tax cutter. Although generally I don't think they wanted her to destroy the economy they do really believe in the low taxes = growth mantra

midgetastic · 28/09/2022 11:11

I was told I was misogynistic for saying I didn't expect she'd have good policies

Mischance · 28/09/2022 11:12

People are at last beginning to listen to Labour whose courage in fighting to take over this poisoned chalice I admire.

flamingogold · 28/09/2022 11:13

This. Sadly it was clear but the media stopped looking at her too closely when she became the front runner

Sciurus83 · 28/09/2022 11:13

Yes, they wanted it. A small number of people will make a fortune. Her biggest donor was the wife of someone high up with her old employer BP. Instead of a windfall tax public money is used to plug the gap and public services cut again. Scrapping environmental planning and the land management nature schemes puts enormous amounts of public money into the hands of a small number of private businesses. Bankers knew it would short the pound, they will have made a fortune on it. They all knew, they wanted it, there was no ignorance.

TiredButAlive · 28/09/2022 11:14

If you are a member of the Conservative Party you're hardly going to be an intellectual giant to start with. I suspect about half of them were utterly clueless and protected by age, wealth and privilege and the other half actively wanted to see what's happening and still to come from having these people in charge.

Haus1234 · 28/09/2022 11:14

Perhaps the general public didn’t dig into the options, but they had no say in the decision so what would have changed if they had? The electorate were the Tory membership, and their interests are likely not aligned with yours!

Zilla1 · 28/09/2022 11:17

What you are perceiving as an error would appear to be a feature of the product.

Sweetpeasaremadeforbees · 28/09/2022 11:17

I have no idea why any Conservative members voted for her. I think about 81000 people voted for her so we have them to blame for the current shitshow. She wasn't popular with Conservative MPs. I don't know anyone who thinks that tax cuts for the well off are a good idea so consequently most people knew that Liz Truss would be a disaster. When you say 'we' are you referring to being one of the 81000 people OP?

Sciurus83 · 28/09/2022 11:19

Jacob Rees-Mogg's father wrote a lot on disaster capitalism, have a read if you think any of this is an accident. It isn't.

SleeplessInEngland · 28/09/2022 11:19

A lot of the media did. But right-wing papers are still very powerful and the PM was decided by 0.3% of the country.

blackpearwhitelilies · 28/09/2022 11:23

Good luck with daring to suggest that people may not have been fully informed about what they were voting for, OP. I'd don your hard hat.

I think a lot of people expected the worst, but perhaps not quite so quickly. As you say there's the book penned by Truss, Kwarteng and Raab. And the, um, experts were warning prior to the referendum that a leave vote would usher in the most far-right ideologues that the UK has seen. So, this is not entirely a surprise.

Sometimessometime · 28/09/2022 11:25

Yes lots of people did. Lots even predicted it. Sunak even predicted it. But it was a tiny minority of the country that actually voted her in - people like my mother in law who makes decisions based on whether she seems like a "sensible" woman (and by sensible she means someone like her, who shops at waitrose, and her club approves of.)

bringincrazyback · 28/09/2022 11:29

Sadly, other recent threads on MN have borne out that some people are actively welcoming what she stands for and the measures that have been brought in so far. I think a lot of those who voted for her were probably hoping for a return of Thatcherite rhetoric tbh.

DesMoulinsRouge · 28/09/2022 11:36

They knew what she would do, it's what they wanted.
It's not a surprise.
They don't care about ordinary people, it's about making the rich richer.

Confuciusornis · 28/09/2022 11:36

I think she was pretty clear about what her plans were, and people either liked what she said or decided to believe it was bluster/rhetoric for the campaign and that more substantial and rational policies would appear once she was elected. I find both groups hard to forgive.
Frankly I just hope that it turns out that she’s more useless than dangerous.

Gysophilla · 28/09/2022 11:36

Rishi Sunak was very vocal about the risks of Trussonomics.

WimpoleHat · 28/09/2022 11:37

Sometimessometime · 28/09/2022 11:25

Yes lots of people did. Lots even predicted it. Sunak even predicted it. But it was a tiny minority of the country that actually voted her in - people like my mother in law who makes decisions based on whether she seems like a "sensible" woman (and by sensible she means someone like her, who shops at waitrose, and her club approves of.)

Exactly. What needs to change is the - fundamentally undemocratic - system of party leaders being elected by party members.

Rosehugger · 28/09/2022 11:37

I did realise! Even the parliamentary party wanted Sunak.

The leadership of the country was decided by 100,000 thick selfish cunt Tory boomers.

astarsheis · 28/09/2022 11:37

Yes I did...KK is my MP 😩...I do not vote tory...but round here you could stick a blue rosette on a donkey and people would vote for it

Brefugee · 28/09/2022 11:38

lots of us shouted things like "Read Britannian Unchained" for a long time. If people didn't listen, that's on them. She (and her cronies) have been hiding in plain sight for years.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.