Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I'm shitting myself, I've lost £400

268 replies

jazzyoldjim · 15/09/2022 20:23

So every 2y I get a new phone upgrade, except I have young kids so I CBA to have a snazzy phone so I usually sell the phone on eBay or FB marketplace and then have a little bit of treat money (usually goes on kids!)

Listed phone on eBay, iphone12. Sold it for £450. Bought postage from DPD (who might I add I have always seen as the safest most reputable courier, with tracking, delivery windows etc) for about £8. Dropped it off at DpD parcel shop which happened to be an Argos near me. It was really busy when I dropped it off and the girl taped the label to the top and put it in a pile. I got a tracking card receipt thingy.

Yesterday I got a notification that it had been delivered. It was meant to be next day but I dropped it off last Sunday so seems slow but ok - checked tracking and it had been left at Argos for 3 days before it was collected. I messaged my buyer on eBay to check all ok - he hadn't received it, although it is a business so says he will check tomorrow to see if it's been left. The business name is a man's name think EDWARD JONES and the tracking is saying signed for by Edward.

Anyway he messages me this morning to say nothing has been delivered. Then 10mins later I got another email from DPD to say my parcel has been delivered. I messaged the buyer again thinking maybe it just got held up. This time he has received a parcel - but inside is a Lego kit not an iPhone!

I haven't sold or posted any Lego kits. The parcel had my label and return address on it - he has shown me photographs.

So that means my iPhone is off out delivered to some person somewhere. I am devastated. Can anyone suggest anything I can do. I have asked DPD to look into it for me and they are calling me tomorrow morning.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

604 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
11%
You are NOT being unreasonable
89%
Twilightimmortal · 15/09/2022 22:13

Paigeworkerx · 15/09/2022 21:16

I sold an iPhone on eBay and the seller claimed never to receive it despite having roof he picked it up from the shop. PayPal refunded him as they agreed I had no proof despite DPD providing clear proof.

Reported it to the police, they were useless.

Took the cheeky MF to small claims court and won as he had clearly signed for it and provided ID. Also blocked the phone so he couldn’t use it

Sorry to be nosey but could you go into more details about how you took him to court. What did paypal do after that aswell?

allboysherebutme · 15/09/2022 22:17

I'd message him and say it will be sorted asap, say I've contacted the police and Argos and they're dealing with it.
The phone may miraculously turn up. X

LimboLass · 15/09/2022 22:19

Slightly OT.

Could you reducr the price of your contract to save you money, rather than having to sell a phone every 2 years?

vroom321 · 15/09/2022 22:20

Bpdqueen · 15/09/2022 21:38

I don't have an iPhone so don't know how it works but isn't there a find my iPhone app you can use

That only works if you have the find my iPhone app registered to you on that phone. I think this is a brand new phone. No apple ID will be registered to it.

TwinkleChristmas · 15/09/2022 22:21

Sounds like something happened while at Argos.

Saju1 · 15/09/2022 22:26

Unless he is able to prove that the package was tampered with, he received the phone.

There are scammers like these all the time, don't take their word for it.

willithappen · 15/09/2022 22:27

LuckyLil · 15/09/2022 21:27

I can't see how this is a scam. He paid you for a phone and received Lego, so the worst case is you refund him. So how has he scammed if he didn't receive the phone? However this pans out, learn that with expensive items to always have buyer collect.

It's a scam because the buyer has the phone and will also get the refund back via PayPal. OP is scammed out of money and the phone

Also another that thinks this is a strange way to get money for yourself for treats.

FastandLoose · 15/09/2022 22:28

Did you do dpd print in store? They put a small barcode on the parcel which presumably should have been used later to print the label, but then sent my parcel to me a something completely random
to the person i was sending to. Presumably labels got confused at some stage.

prh47bridge · 15/09/2022 22:29

Given that someone in the same village sold the Lego on Monday, they only way this is a scam by the buyer is if they bought the Lego as well, which is an unlikely way to conduct a scam. This sounds like DPD got the labels mixed up.

Puzzledandpissedoff · 15/09/2022 22:34

how has he scammed if he didn't receive the phone?

I think the suggestion is that he may have received the phone, but has put a few bits of Lego nect to a parcel for a photo which is supposed to convince OP he hasn't

EndTheMonacyNow · 15/09/2022 22:38

EfficientDynamics · 15/09/2022 22:44

The only way to sell is for somebody to come to you and give you cold, hard cash in your hand

Absolutely anything else nowadays is open to abuse

Blowthemandown · 15/09/2022 22:45

@jazzyoldjim message the lego seller and ask them to message the buyer and see if they have the phone. If they also are a well rated ebayer they will likely be honest. I would be if I received a phone even if worth more than what I ordered.

jazzyoldjim · 15/09/2022 22:55

@Blowthemandown yes I have done. The Lego seller has been very helpful and has messaged their buyer so waiting on that now.

I appreciate all the well meaning comments about the upgrade - I know and realise this is a ridiculous way to borrow money but it is all I have. I can't have credit any other way.

OP posts:
RelentlessForwardProgress · 15/09/2022 22:55

Contact DPD and tell them the buyer says he received a different parcel. They will probably have a picture of the parcel being delivered, which will show if its the size of a phone or big enough for lego

piegone · 15/09/2022 22:57

Are you saying you take an upgrade then sell the new phone straight away? That's surely going to be costing you more than the £450 over the course of a 2 year contract?

justasking111 · 15/09/2022 22:59

DS needed his passport he was at university. Wrapped it up carefully put in a large envelope. Went to PO had all the tracking, first class etc. It was delayed and delayed when it finally turned up despite needing a signature postie put it in the box they had a key to. When his partner opened the box there was an opened empty envelope. It meant it had to be reported lost he had to catch trains to Durham to get a new one ordered. The PO lost that one in transit. After a big hoo ha it was found apparently and sent back to a different passport office. So more train travel then a row in the passport office who couldn't find it and told him they'd post it. He was flying the next morning. Someone else in the office took pity on him and found it.

So tell me is the PO inefficient or is there a stolen passport racket going on??

LimboLass · 15/09/2022 23:12

I know and realise this is a ridiculous way to borrow money but it is all I have

Get off the contract that gives you upgrades. Move to sim only for £10 or less a month.

Very simple OP

CrikeyPeg · 15/09/2022 23:39

@jazzyoldjim glad the Lego seller is being helpful. In the meantime, until this is sorted, block the phone so whoever has it can't use it.

LimeTwists · 15/09/2022 23:42

Has he bought the lego (you can search for items by postcode) and had two parcels delivered, then sent you pics of the Lego?

I’m a bit tired so sorry if I’ve misunderstood.

LimeTwists · 15/09/2022 23:44

^ I can see I totally misread bits. Sorry!

Mxyzptlk · 15/09/2022 23:52

When you drop parcels off at a DPD drop shop they give you a little card receipt and they stick an identical one to the parcel, then I believe the driver brings the labels and sticks them to the corresponding parcels.

That sounds sketchy. Something could have gone wrong at that point.

The two delivery notifications you got, I'd say, show that DPD messed up somehow.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

kateandme · 15/09/2022 23:53

What were these photos actually showing.
couldn’t he have got the right box and iPhone
taken iphone out
tiok picture of Lego with the box
voila he’s scammed you

kateandme · 15/09/2022 23:55

RelentlessForwardProgress · 15/09/2022 22:55

Contact DPD and tell them the buyer says he received a different parcel. They will probably have a picture of the parcel being delivered, which will show if its the size of a phone or big enough for lego

They have to take photo.but the buyer could easily get a Lego the same size if he’s a scammer this would be the easiest part of him to pull off.

Bubblebubblebah · 15/09/2022 23:58

kateandme · 15/09/2022 23:55

They have to take photo.but the buyer could easily get a Lego the same size if he’s a scammer this would be the easiest part of him to pull off.

It wouldn't since the box is different size to what OP posted outAnd yes, lots of it could be solved by looking at the delivery photo

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.