Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I'm shitting myself, I've lost £400

268 replies

jazzyoldjim · 15/09/2022 20:23

So every 2y I get a new phone upgrade, except I have young kids so I CBA to have a snazzy phone so I usually sell the phone on eBay or FB marketplace and then have a little bit of treat money (usually goes on kids!)

Listed phone on eBay, iphone12. Sold it for £450. Bought postage from DPD (who might I add I have always seen as the safest most reputable courier, with tracking, delivery windows etc) for about £8. Dropped it off at DpD parcel shop which happened to be an Argos near me. It was really busy when I dropped it off and the girl taped the label to the top and put it in a pile. I got a tracking card receipt thingy.

Yesterday I got a notification that it had been delivered. It was meant to be next day but I dropped it off last Sunday so seems slow but ok - checked tracking and it had been left at Argos for 3 days before it was collected. I messaged my buyer on eBay to check all ok - he hadn't received it, although it is a business so says he will check tomorrow to see if it's been left. The business name is a man's name think EDWARD JONES and the tracking is saying signed for by Edward.

Anyway he messages me this morning to say nothing has been delivered. Then 10mins later I got another email from DPD to say my parcel has been delivered. I messaged the buyer again thinking maybe it just got held up. This time he has received a parcel - but inside is a Lego kit not an iPhone!

I haven't sold or posted any Lego kits. The parcel had my label and return address on it - he has shown me photographs.

So that means my iPhone is off out delivered to some person somewhere. I am devastated. Can anyone suggest anything I can do. I have asked DPD to look into it for me and they are calling me tomorrow morning.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

604 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
11%
You are NOT being unreasonable
89%
Bubblebubblebah · 16/09/2022 08:07

I have never had dod delivery without photo. Ever.
The photo will show which box was delivered.

TwinGirlsOnTheWay · 16/09/2022 08:10

jazzyoldjim · 16/09/2022 07:23

So the Lego seller has replied this morning and his buyer does not have the phone. Or is not saying they have it. Going to phone DPD today and see if they have photos of the delivery because there is nothing on the tracking. Just says signed for by "EDWARD" on both delivery confirmations.

I have looked up my buyers place of work but I can't see him on the staff list, can't find him on fb.

Because it's a scam. Sorry but it's a life lesson. You don't do this, next time just trade it in for a gift card or money off a new handset

Paigeworkerx · 16/09/2022 08:20

hedgehogscrossing · 16/09/2022 08:03

@Paigeworkerx Well done you! More details please!

@hedgehogscrossing

I had to put in writing an action that I was taking him to small claims court if he didn’t re send me the money as he was refunded on false claims. You have to give them time to respond which is obviously didn’t as he thought he’d get away with it.

Filled online, you give them all your details and the other persons. Explain what happened and money you’re seeking back.
DPD provided a written statement along with evidence the guy had signed for the parcel. They also highlighted their process’s as well as including that the buyer swapped the address from his home to the shop.

The person has 14 days to respond, I think their send it tracked via the post office. He didn’t respond again. So then they action court proceedings. It took 6 months to go to court. (If they don’t turn up you automatically win)

He turned up with the actual phone he said he didn’t receive. I presented my evidence and asked the court if they’d check the ID or whatever it is for his phone and they agreed.

He had to pay me the full amount, plus costs including travel. I did end up sending it to bailiffs to get it off him.

MrKlaw · 16/09/2022 08:21

Because it's a scam. Sorry but it's a life lesson. You don't do this, next time just trade it in for a gift card or money off a new handset

or cancel the contract down to sim only for £10 or less (shop around, transfer providers if they won't drop your price); and pay the difference for yoru normal contract into a savings account (they're easy to set up so you can have a dedicated 'phone' one). That way you can keep prestending to pay the contract but you're getting all the beneift when you check in a couple of years.

You'll be likely losing hundreds using an operator contract as a savings scheme

hedgehogscrossing · 16/09/2022 08:26

@Paigeworkerx you have hopefully put him off pulling that stunt in the future.

Bubblebubblebah · 16/09/2022 08:31

Tbh this is what delivery deivers do when they just leave ot somewhere or deliver to god knows who.
I had something company accidentally send stuff to totally different address and yet it showed as signed my name. Mind me, I know for a fact there is no more than 5 of us of our name here and none of the other 4 live on that address. Yet "signed NonEnglishName"

That's why photos if ront oor are there. Or at least part

sausageandbeansx · 16/09/2022 08:33

Do you have sizing/weight on the label? You could prove to eBay that you’ve sent a parcel that weighs less than a Lego set?
It sounds like he is a scammer. Just keep going with it

MrKlaw · 16/09/2022 08:40

jazzyoldjim · 16/09/2022 07:23

So the Lego seller has replied this morning and his buyer does not have the phone. Or is not saying they have it. Going to phone DPD today and see if they have photos of the delivery because there is nothing on the tracking. Just says signed for by "EDWARD" on both delivery confirmations.

I have looked up my buyers place of work but I can't see him on the staff list, can't find him on fb.

can the lego seller confirm to you waht they sold, and you can ask 'Edward' for photos showing what he received exactly so you can compare? That'd help understand if he's scamming and just put some loose bricks in a box or not

ButterOllocks · 16/09/2022 08:47

Such a awful thing to happen, I agree with the OP it does not sound like the Ebayer - but could his account have been used by another family member with no morals ? If you have a signature surely it's DPD's responsibility - but as you have no full insurance you will at least get some of the money back if you cannot resolve the situation - definitely a hard lesson to learn in trust and using Ebay to sell. So sorry OP you must feel wretched

NKFell · 16/09/2022 09:19

I had this but had a very honest buyer, I sold a Reel Big Fish tour T-Shirt for £15.00 and the buyer received a fully working iPad! With my label on I might add! The buyer contacted me saying I'd got mixed up, I hadn't though- it wasn't my iPad!

prh47bridge · 16/09/2022 09:19

knittingaddict · 16/09/2022 08:05

Of course it could be a scam. The op only has the buyer's word for it that he received lego instead of a phone. Not saying that it is a scam and could possibly be a mistake, but it could be a scam quite easily.

The OP has a photo of the Lego with the label fixed to the box. She has found that it was sold by someone else in her village at about the same time. I therefore think it is highly unlikely to be a scam by the buyer. Far more likely that DPD messed up.

clowerina · 16/09/2022 09:36

DPD are a complete nightmare - had so many issues with them lately! Dumping parcels back at the depot claiming they'd been "delivered" with a blank photo. Not bothering to deliver three days running then making me collect! Broken items. I would say it could be a DPD issue.

mam0918 · 16/09/2022 09:37

Going against the grain but it was next day delivery that didnt get dispatched for 3 days and showed up a week later with incorrect tracking updates... this sounds 100% on the delivery service NOT the buyer.

Why would people jump to the conclusion that a buyer who has waited patiently would randomly scam the OP when all the dodgy facts point to the delivery.

Puzzledandpissedoff · 16/09/2022 09:44

is the PO inefficient or is there a stolen passport racket going on??

Potentially both
Passport theft is nothing new and there's an obvious nice little earner for PO staff who passs on which packages have come from the passport office

nachoavocado · 16/09/2022 09:46

mam0918 · 16/09/2022 09:37

Going against the grain but it was next day delivery that didnt get dispatched for 3 days and showed up a week later with incorrect tracking updates... this sounds 100% on the delivery service NOT the buyer.

Why would people jump to the conclusion that a buyer who has waited patiently would randomly scam the OP when all the dodgy facts point to the delivery.

Not against the grain, there's a fair few of us that think this.

Nadal · 16/09/2022 09:48

Do the contents of the Lego match with what the Lego seller sold?

mam0918 · 16/09/2022 09:48

Also I had a massive issue with yodel recently, they 'delivered' my package and I told them I didnt have it. They responded saying they delivered it and have GPS proof, I inisted I didnt have it.

They accused my other family member of stealing it or my neighbors of stealling. I pointed out my baby did not steal anything and my little old lady neighbor who has always popped round instantly with mail mix ups was not lying and harboring my DD swimsuit for which she would have zero use.

They then sent their 'photo proof' of the package sticking half out of a door. Except it WASNT my door, or any door on my long street.

They kept insisting the photo was proof, I sent the google street earth links, photos of my door and explinations of how that clearly could be my house and they still insisted they delivered it to me.

In the end I had to report them to get my money back, I still have no idea where they actually delivered my item too but it was a month long pain in the ass and we had to buy a last minute not as nice and more expensive replacement so even with money back it cost us more.

• clearly could NOT be my house
PainPainGoAwayToday · 16/09/2022 09:49

I’m sure others have already said this but I’ve only read your updates- but if you got 2 delivery updates then it’s more likely the Lego AND the phone went to your buyer, isn’t it? So a mix up when the labels were put on. You’re unlikely to get two delivery notifications for one item, I never have. So if I had to guess I’d say “Edward” has received both, which is why he can send photos of the packaging and labels. Maybe he opened the Lego first, thought you were scamming him, opened the phone and decided to scam you!

Did the other seller say their buyer received the Lego or hasn’t received their parcel yet?

nachoavocado · 16/09/2022 09:51

Also I had a massive issue with yodel recently, they 'delivered' my package and I told them I didnt have it. They responded saying they delivered it and have GPS proof, I inisted I didnt have it.

They accused my other family member of stealing it or my neighbors of stealling. I pointed out my baby did not steal anything and my little old lady neighbor who has always popped round instantly with mail mix ups was not lying and harboring my DD swimsuit for which she would have zero use.

They then sent their 'photo proof' of the package sticking half out of a door. Except it WASNT my door, or any door on my long street.

They kept insisting the photo was proof, I sent the google street earth links, photos of my door and explinations of how that clearly could be my house and they still insisted they delivered it to me.

In the end I had to report them to get my money back, I still have no idea where they actually delivered my item too but it was a month long pain in the ass and we had to buy a last minute not as nice and more expensive replacement so even with money back it cost us more.

I've had similar. It went on ages.

tulips27 · 16/09/2022 09:56

If the phone can be blocked by the seller, what do the scammers get out of it?

XelaM · 16/09/2022 10:07

Had the exact same scenario with Evri and it was also my daughter's bikini that didn't arrive (and we had to buy more expensive less nice replacement!)

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

2under2howscary · 16/09/2022 10:13

PainPainGoAwayToday · 16/09/2022 09:49

I’m sure others have already said this but I’ve only read your updates- but if you got 2 delivery updates then it’s more likely the Lego AND the phone went to your buyer, isn’t it? So a mix up when the labels were put on. You’re unlikely to get two delivery notifications for one item, I never have. So if I had to guess I’d say “Edward” has received both, which is why he can send photos of the packaging and labels. Maybe he opened the Lego first, thought you were scamming him, opened the phone and decided to scam you!

Did the other seller say their buyer received the Lego or hasn’t received their parcel yet?

This is what I'm thinking too.

Doingprettywellthanks · 16/09/2022 10:15

Oh op I really feel for you.
I AS your name to see if any info re your financial situation and I see that you really really could do without this.OP when all this is sorted as hopefully it will be - I find think you need to get yourself to citizens advice for some much needed financial guidance otherwise you are going to get yourself in to some serious financial hardship

Doingprettywellthanks · 16/09/2022 10:20

The op has not blocked the phone and may well be too late now

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.