Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I'm shitting myself, I've lost £400

268 replies

jazzyoldjim · 15/09/2022 20:23

So every 2y I get a new phone upgrade, except I have young kids so I CBA to have a snazzy phone so I usually sell the phone on eBay or FB marketplace and then have a little bit of treat money (usually goes on kids!)

Listed phone on eBay, iphone12. Sold it for £450. Bought postage from DPD (who might I add I have always seen as the safest most reputable courier, with tracking, delivery windows etc) for about £8. Dropped it off at DpD parcel shop which happened to be an Argos near me. It was really busy when I dropped it off and the girl taped the label to the top and put it in a pile. I got a tracking card receipt thingy.

Yesterday I got a notification that it had been delivered. It was meant to be next day but I dropped it off last Sunday so seems slow but ok - checked tracking and it had been left at Argos for 3 days before it was collected. I messaged my buyer on eBay to check all ok - he hadn't received it, although it is a business so says he will check tomorrow to see if it's been left. The business name is a man's name think EDWARD JONES and the tracking is saying signed for by Edward.

Anyway he messages me this morning to say nothing has been delivered. Then 10mins later I got another email from DPD to say my parcel has been delivered. I messaged the buyer again thinking maybe it just got held up. This time he has received a parcel - but inside is a Lego kit not an iPhone!

I haven't sold or posted any Lego kits. The parcel had my label and return address on it - he has shown me photographs.

So that means my iPhone is off out delivered to some person somewhere. I am devastated. Can anyone suggest anything I can do. I have asked DPD to look into it for me and they are calling me tomorrow morning.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

604 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
11%
You are NOT being unreasonable
89%
Sneezesthrice · 15/09/2022 21:12

thinking of it though…. I wonder if the guy ordered lego and a phone and that’s part of the scam? They delivered both parcels, he has your phone but has another DPD parcel sent by same service and shows you that pretending that’s what he got instead….

winterchills · 15/09/2022 21:13

Hopefully they have switched parcels by mistake, fingers crossed if that's the case the Lego buyer is honest!

Lotts123 · 15/09/2022 21:14

Check the DPD tracking online, you should be able to click for detailed info. See if there is anything that says it has been held anywhere - I had a Sherpa blanket sent out to a customer who received a pack of biscuits. Labels and tracking info matched. Bizarre, but tracking showed that the parcel had been held en route. Some damage had been caused and parcels were relabelled, incorrectly at the DPD depot.

NightfeedsandNetflix · 15/09/2022 21:15

She wants advice not lectures. Hindsight is a wonderful gift.

Paigeworkerx · 15/09/2022 21:16

I sold an iPhone on eBay and the seller claimed never to receive it despite having roof he picked it up from the shop. PayPal refunded him as they agreed I had no proof despite DPD providing clear proof.

Reported it to the police, they were useless.

Took the cheeky MF to small claims court and won as he had clearly signed for it and provided ID. Also blocked the phone so he couldn’t use it

dottypencilcase · 15/09/2022 21:19

If he raises a case with eBay, eBay will side with the buyer and refund him (they ALWAYS do) and ask you to chase compensation with the courier company. So, you need to go into your Dpd shop tomorrow and kick up a fuss. They'll try to pin in on being a scam and not having anything to do with it so be prepared for a fight.

My thoughts are that there's nothing stopping the buyer from sending you staged photos of Lego next to your supposed parcel. Or it's a rogue DPD employee.

User354354 · 15/09/2022 21:19

jazzyoldjim · 15/09/2022 20:58

I know about the contract being expensive btw. But I never have large sums of money and don't have access to them so this is one way I can.

Right but you pay over the same price of the new phone, spread over 24 months. To sell for less than new price. It makes no sense. You can get sim only with unlimited text and calls. 10gb of data for around £12 pm

dottypencilcase · 15/09/2022 21:20

Paigeworkerx · 15/09/2022 21:16

I sold an iPhone on eBay and the seller claimed never to receive it despite having roof he picked it up from the shop. PayPal refunded him as they agreed I had no proof despite DPD providing clear proof.

Reported it to the police, they were useless.

Took the cheeky MF to small claims court and won as he had clearly signed for it and provided ID. Also blocked the phone so he couldn’t use it

Really not surprised by this. I'm sorry it happened to you but we'll done for dragging the fucker through court!

bringbackneighbours · 15/09/2022 21:22

SpotlessMind88 · 15/09/2022 20:33

You should be covered by DPD for any loss. You Should be able to get compensation. When you filled out the courier form did it ask what the contents were and how much it was worth? They should have let you know how much compensation you were covered for or the option to take out extra insurance.

Guaranteed she wont get any compensation. Exact same thing happened to me between amazon and the post office. Amazon claimed they received an 'incorrect item' which they signed for, disposed of it according to their policy and never told me what it was. I sent back a dud Laptop to amazon, returned it and claimed through the insurance I bought via the post office. The post office also didn't want to know either as there was 'no evidence of theft'. I lost the money.

AloysiusBear · 15/09/2022 21:24

I'm sorry for the cock up OP but things like this make me sad, it's a crap way to do it financially and from what you sau you can least afford to waste money.

Get a sim only contract on a much lower tariff and bank the difference. All you are doing is borrowing expensively the way you are doing it now. You could get a credit card with an interest free period and borrow for less.

Mfsf · 15/09/2022 21:25

That parcel is not your responsibility the moment it’s dropped at Argos . DPD should refund

LemonadePockets · 15/09/2022 21:25

If it’s a different size box then your receipt should state the weight of what you posted

LuckyLil · 15/09/2022 21:27

I can't see how this is a scam. He paid you for a phone and received Lego, so the worst case is you refund him. So how has he scammed if he didn't receive the phone? However this pans out, learn that with expensive items to always have buyer collect.

deedledeedledum · 15/09/2022 21:27

OP as others have said, do you realise you can not get an upgrade and instead pay for sim only once your initial contract runs out. Your initial contract pays off the first phone so after this contract ends, you no longer are paying off a phone so you just go sim only and keep your old phone. You end up paying buttons. You are paying over the odds for each month for an upgrade phone and then selling it on at a lower price on eBay. This is foolish.

SeasonFinale · 15/09/2022 21:28

Definitely block the phone

LemonSwan · 15/09/2022 21:28

DPd are a fucking nightmare. I have never actually received a single high value item from them ever. The last one was a tommee tippee full set worth about £500 with bottles, sterilisers and the formula machine. How that can go missing and say delivered is beyond me.

Breakfastisjustporridge · 15/09/2022 21:29

How do you know someone in your village posted lego around the same time using DPD.
Do you have access to something on Ebay that I don't ?
If its a legit mistake then the weight of the lego should be different, to the one declared by you.

AlmostAJillSandwich · 15/09/2022 21:38

I really hope it is a case of mistakenly switched parcels which gets resolved.

If they open an ebay not received dispute, your tracking will close the case in your favour. If they open not as described then ebay will make you pay for a postage label for him to return for full refund, at which point, he would return the lego. If you refuse to send a label for him to return, they will close the case in his favour and refund him from your funding source with no return at all.

Bpdqueen · 15/09/2022 21:38

I don't have an iPhone so don't know how it works but isn't there a find my iPhone app you can use

AlmostAJillSandwich · 15/09/2022 21:41

Bpdqueen · 15/09/2022 21:38

I don't have an iPhone so don't know how it works but isn't there a find my iPhone app you can use

Surely that won't work unless you've left your apple account active on the phone, which you would wipe to factory settings before selling?

Ugzbugz · 15/09/2022 21:44

Total scam. BiL had similar. And ebay said he should refund and he found loads of other complaints so see if you can find anymore and close your account.

Maytodecember · 15/09/2022 21:50

Do DPD take a photo of parcel being delivered? All the delivery companies do when delivering to me.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

KosherDill · 15/09/2022 22:03

Tangentially, it's not necessary to upgrade every time you pay off the old phone. I'm a high earner and still on an iPhone 6, I think. It's been paid off for years and thus my monthly bill is lower.

If I were so skint that 500 was make-it-or-break-it sum of money, I would be economizing on the phone and other gadgets.

Blueblell · 15/09/2022 22:06

Sounds like a label issue to me- especially as it was delayed at Argos. The buyer would know you could block it so unlikely he would scam you. Get onto DPD with the Lego sale info

Aubriella · 15/09/2022 22:06

So every 2y I get a new phone upgrade, except I have young kids so I CBA to have a snazzy phone so I usually sell the phone on eBay or FB marketplace and then have a little bit of treat money (usually goes on kids!)

I’m a bit confused, sorry, do you sell the brand new upgraded phone or the old 2 year old phone?

If you’re selling the brand new phone then that’s such waste, given you can get a SIM only deal with unlimited calls and text and lots of data for £10pm.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.