Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

8 year old up till 4.30 am is unreasonable?

357 replies

keepsane · 26/06/2022 12:07

Just picked up my 8 year old DD from a sleepover at her friend from schools house and it turns out she and her friend were up until 4.30 am. The mum came into the room and said it was time to calm down and go to sleep...at 4.30 am!!

I'm really unhappy, in what world is letting 8 year old girls stay awake till that time unaccompanied may I add as the mum was in her bed, okay? 12 am - fair enough, maybe 1 am at a push if excited but 4.30 am is ridiculous and my DD is knackered.

I don't know whether to text the mum. She certainly won't be back there for a sleepover. AIBU?

OP posts:
Please
or

Easilystartled · 26/06/2022 12:59

You are being so unreasonable.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 26/06/2022 12:59

I'm surprised the mom didn't mention it when you picked DD up to be fair, but I have no idea why you would complain.

Please
or

DemelzaandRoss · 26/06/2022 13:00

YABU!!
This is totally normal!!
Years ago when my DS had sleepovers, the first ones to go to sleep, were waking up just as the final ones were going off to sleep!!
We thought it was hilarious & gave them cooked breakfasts as & when they surfaced!
Sleepovers were only allowed in the holidays though!!

Please
or

ilovesushi · 26/06/2022 13:00

I stopped letting my DD go to sleepovers as she wasn't sleeping and would spend the next day almost hung over from exhaustion. There seemed to be a trend of a whole bunch of girls sleeping over at someone's house and lots of dramas and tears with some girls falling out and some feeling homesick. Too few positives and too many negatives. So she didn't miss out, I'd pick her up in the evening at 9pm or 10pm or whenever was convenient for the hosts.

Please
or

Workwork21 · 26/06/2022 13:02

Sleepovers are meant to be challenging to stay up all night. It is all part of the fun!

Please
or

wellyelliebee · 26/06/2022 13:05

The correct response is "oh gosh, I'm so sorry they played you up like that, I did tell him to behave and try to sleep. Thanks so much for having him."

Please
or

adorablecat · 26/06/2022 13:06

unaccompanied may I add as the mum was in her bed, okay?

Where else would the mum be?

Please
or

GetThatHelmetOn · 26/06/2022 13:10

keepsane · 26/06/2022 12:11

No they were no dads present as she is a single mum. It just wouldn't have been allowed at my house. When my DD has had sleepovers they are always in bed at reasonable hour

I couldnโ€™t help but smile at the โ€œI wouldnโ€™t have allowed itโ€ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

As If, you can send them to bed every hour and, if they are having a good time, the only thing they would do is to keep playing but lowering their voices. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

It is not as if you are going to ruin their bedtime routine forever, donโ€™t allow your DD more than a half an hour nap today and send her to bed at the usual time. Simples!

Please
or

Marmite17 · 26/06/2022 13:12

thaegumathteth · 26/06/2022 12:11

This is normal tbh!

This. Children were excited and bonding. As an occasional thing is fine.
Should add that I'm guilty of all nighters as an adult. Especially on holiday.
Which is it probably is to the children.
Just be glad that they enjoyed themselves!

Please
or

User6761 · 26/06/2022 13:12

I found sleepovers unbelievably exciting at that age (and older). We used to save up any treats we'd been given that day (sweets/chocolate) and hide them under our pillows to have a midnight feast (think I read too much Enid Blyton ๐Ÿ˜‚). Anyway, the point is those nights have stayed in my memory all that time - am now in my 40s. Your daughter may remember last night for the rest of her life.

Please
or

FlipFlopShopInHawaii · 26/06/2022 13:12

letting 8 year old girls stay awake till that time, unaccompanied may I add as the mum was in her bed
Unaccompanied??? What was the mum supposed to do, stay in the room with them the whole time?
While I do agree 4.30 is very late, I think you're being completely unreasonable to even consider texting the mum.

Please
or

Littletitty · 26/06/2022 13:14

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Fishandchipbutty · 26/06/2022 13:15

Sleepover is a misnomer - they don't sleep as its exciting! They're best kept to friday nights (so 2 days to recover before school) or school holidays! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Please
or

keepsane · 26/06/2022 13:15

Oh trust me, my DD is grounded after that.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cornettoninja · 26/06/2022 13:16

Thatโ€™s a good compromise @ilovesushi.

Please
or

onesailwait · 26/06/2022 13:16

It's just after 5am where I am. I got up early with the dog. My middle has 4 friends camping out in the yard. They've just come in for a warm drink & so far no one has slept. What they have had is lots of fun. They'll be grumpy by mid-afternoon. Nothing an early night won't fix. If one of the parents text me to complain I'd think twice before the next invite.

Please
or

Rachie1973 · 26/06/2022 13:16

Lmao. Poor kid. Punished for being a kid

Please
or

trevthecat · 26/06/2022 13:18

Grounded?? For what?

Please
or

Littletitty · 26/06/2022 13:18

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Madmax1992 · 26/06/2022 13:19

๐Ÿ˜ณ grounded for being a kid? You need to lighten up, seriously. You sound horrible

Please
or

Chikapu · 26/06/2022 13:19

Where did you expect the mum to be if not in bed?

Please
or

amusedbush · 26/06/2022 13:19

You've grounded her for being excited, having fun, and doing something most kids do at sleepovers? That's so bloody miserable.

Please
or

Tothepoint99 · 26/06/2022 13:20

What is the reason for the grounding?

Please
or

Paddingtonthebear · 26/06/2022 13:20

Yup this happened to us at same age, DD then a month of insomnia. ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿ˜†

Please
or

Crimsonripple · 26/06/2022 13:21

Jeez you sound like a right dick. Just let your child chill and nap today. I don't understand the problem!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?