Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

8 year old up till 4.30 am is unreasonable?

357 replies

keepsane · 26/06/2022 12:07

Just picked up my 8 year old DD from a sleepover at her friend from schools house and it turns out she and her friend were up until 4.30 am. The mum came into the room and said it was time to calm down and go to sleep...at 4.30 am!!

I'm really unhappy, in what world is letting 8 year old girls stay awake till that time unaccompanied may I add as the mum was in her bed, okay? 12 am - fair enough, maybe 1 am at a push if excited but 4.30 am is ridiculous and my DD is knackered.

I don't know whether to text the mum. She certainly won't be back there for a sleepover. AIBU?

OP posts:
Please
or

Monr0e · 26/06/2022 13:31

You have grounded your daughter for having fun at a sleepover????

I wouldn't worry about it happening again, I can't see her getting many invites, or wanting to attend any more sleepovers if this is your response to a perfectly normal childhood experience.

Please
or

JanglyBeads · 26/06/2022 13:31

I'd be very unimpressed too OP.

Please
or

Fizbosshoes · 26/06/2022 13:31

My DS had a sleepover for his last birthday. From the sound of it some of the boys were awake all night. I didn't sleep at all , but I couldn't physically make them be quiet or go to sleep but I did give lots of reminders after about 11.30pm!

Please
or

Notanotherwindow · 26/06/2022 13:32

Life and soul of the party, you are.

Why don't you send the kid to military school, she'd probably have more fun.

Please
or

WeRTheOnesWeHaveBeenWaitingFor · 26/06/2022 13:33

Your poor DD. Grounded for having fun. The Mum likely went to sleep herself and only realised they were still up then. Be grateful they had a fab time and apologise to your DD for over reacting.

Please
or

ventreàterre · 26/06/2022 13:35

As long as they were safely inside the house, that's what a sleepover is! I would never have been able to stay awake that long at 8, but the whole point of a sleepover is the intoxicating freedom of staying up late talking with your friends.

I do agree that 4:30 is quite late, and I'd have encouraged them to go to sleep at least a few hours earlier, but as PP said, she may well have thought they were asleep until they became noisy and woke her up. It's not the end of the world. She'll be groggy today, so a nap may be in order, but staying up very late one night won't hurt a child. It's not as though they were drinking alcohol or sneaking out of the house.

Please
or

Tohaveandtohold · 26/06/2022 13:37

Why is she grounded though. That’s the point of sleep overs, they do what they don’t normally do at home, chit chat, eat sweets, stay up late, etc. I think 4am is quite late but for your child, she’ll remember it fondly, she just goes to bed earlier tonight, that’s all

Please
or

liveforsummer · 26/06/2022 13:37

I developed a trick that worked for a few years. Kids would arrive. Whilst they were having tea out of room sleepover was going to be happening in, I’d go in and put clock forward by 1 hour. And then I’d alter other clocks they’d see.

This wouldn't work in 2022 unless you could find a way to get Alexa to lie 😆

Please
or

ladycarlotta · 26/06/2022 13:37

keepsane · 26/06/2022 13:15

Oh trust me, my DD is grounded after that.

holy crap, this is way off the deep end

Please
or

Somethingsnappy · 26/06/2022 13:40

I hope you are taking these comments on board, OP, and I hope you will now go and do the following two things:

Text the mother to say 'thank you so much for having my child. She had so much fun. I hope you're not too exhausted.. My turn next time!'

Then go and speak to your daughter and apologise for overreacting, tell her she's not actually grounded, and use the opportunity for a quick reminder of good behaviour at other people' s houses.

Please
or

GrazingSheep · 26/06/2022 13:40

Why have you grounded her?

Please
or

BellePeppa · 26/06/2022 13:42

The rule when my children were younger was no sleepovers during school term as they are notorious for going to sleep late. Often when mine did go (during school holidays) they’d say they didn’t sleep or slept really late, it didn’t occur to me to be annoyed.

Please
or

yikesanotherbooboo · 26/06/2022 13:42

@cardibach
We also called them wakeovers.I must admit I didn't allow them in term time.

Please
or

Somethingsnappy · 26/06/2022 13:42

JanglyBeads · 26/06/2022 13:31

I'd be very unimpressed too OP.

Unimpressed perhaps, but hopefully not placing blame anywhere?

Please
or

FunnysInLaJardin · 26/06/2022 13:42

Good lord. Totally bizarre and unkind of you OP

Please
or

OneToThree · 26/06/2022 13:43

Chill out, sleepovers = little sleep.
Either allow them or don’t but don’t punish her.

Please
or

ManateeFair · 26/06/2022 13:44

keepsane · 26/06/2022 12:11

No they were no dads present as she is a single mum. It just wouldn't have been allowed at my house. When my DD has had sleepovers they are always in bed at reasonable hour

“In bed” is not the same as “asleep”. I was always “in bed” at a reasonable hour at sleepovers but we were still whispering and giggling until god knows when. The mother can’t physically force your daughter to sleep.

Please
or

TankFlyBossW4lk · 26/06/2022 13:45

I feel so sorry for your poor daughter. If this is how you react over nothing, how will you cope with the inevitable real problems.

Please
or

RudsyFarmer · 26/06/2022 13:49

I certainly don’t think it’s ‘completely normal’. What were they doing at that time? I’m going to hazard a guess there were screens involved.

Please
or

Bbq1 · 26/06/2022 13:49

keepsane · 26/06/2022 12:07

Just picked up my 8 year old DD from a sleepover at her friend from schools house and it turns out she and her friend were up until 4.30 am. The mum came into the room and said it was time to calm down and go to sleep...at 4.30 am!!

I'm really unhappy, in what world is letting 8 year old girls stay awake till that time unaccompanied may I add as the mum was in her bed, okay? 12 am - fair enough, maybe 1 am at a push if excited but 4.30 am is ridiculous and my DD is knackered.

I don't know whether to text the mum. She certainly won't be back there for a sleepover. AIBU?

Fgs, Op. Loosen up. Having hosted multiple sleepovers over the years for dc and he having been invited to many more, I can tell you that very little sleeping goes on at them. You sound very precious accusing the mum of not being there - she was in bed but obviously not asleep. What did you want her to do, drag her bed in there and supervise a couple of 8 years old all night long ?! Probably best your dc doesn't return, you sound very ungrateful. Get a grip or don't allow dd to attend any sleepovers ever again as if you do there will be repeat sleepless nights
It's half the fun of a sleepover.

Please
or

Greyarea12 · 26/06/2022 13:49

You are totally over reacting. This is normal. My dd was at a birthday sleepover few weeks ago. They never went to sleep until 5am. She is 9. Absolutely normal and yes she was tired but got an early night that night. Not a big deal. Its one time.

Please
or

FlipFlopShopInHawaii · 26/06/2022 13:49

Oh trust me, my DD is grounded after that
Your poor DD, I'm actually devastated for her 😔 🥺

Please
or

Zwellers · 26/06/2022 13:54

Jeez,what will you do if your dd ever is really bad?. Lock her in he'd room until she's 18?. Ban her from having friends?. Beat her with a stick?

Please
or

Hugasauras · 26/06/2022 13:57

keepsane · 26/06/2022 13:15

Oh trust me, my DD is grounded after that.

Christ, poor kid. Also where is an 8yo going on their own that means grounding has any impact? Confused

Please
or

CatsAreCrackers · 26/06/2022 13:57

The whole POINT of sleepovers is to NOT sleep. You stay up giggling and being, you know, kids!! She'll soon be a teenager and then you'll be punishing her for sleeping TOO much. 😂Poor kid, lighten up!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?