Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to think this isn’t okay - cleaner nespresso

624 replies

Candyhats · 21/03/2022 04:56

We have a cleaner who comes in on a daily basis and obviously we have tea and instant coffee, which we keep in our home and provide for her to drink. However I noticed we are going through nespresso capsules quickly and then I realized she has nespresso(s) daily when she works. My husband does drink coffee and I’m the only one that drinks it and as a treat, even it home.

Aibu to address this with cleaner?

I tried to hide a sleeve with some capsules in, she found it and had a couple while emptying the rest into the nespresso jar.

OP posts:
implantreplace · 21/03/2022 06:23

“Daily basis”

Surely you must have fostered a very close relationship having someone in your home every single day?

And you begrudge Her having a nespesso coffee?

TigerLilyTail · 21/03/2022 06:25

@Twentypast

Don't be ridiculous. DH works from home. He makes our weekly cleaner a Nespresso as soon as she arrives. And she's under instruction to help herself if she wants a 2nd one before she leaves.

You see! This is just so wrong! It causes problems for everyone when people start treating their cleaners as equals. We have a tap in the garden that our cleaner can drink from if she's thirsty. I think that is a really great kindness to her though.
FleeceNavidadfromtheSheep · 21/03/2022 06:26

Is the cleaner smuggling the used pods out of the house when she leaves?

marqueses · 21/03/2022 06:27

@Gilead

DS wfh. He stops when the cleaner arrives to make her a nespresso coffee. She has one when she’s finished too, and they sit and chat. He values her and treats her as an equal.

I'm sure it's not your intention but that comes off as really patronising

Well done your DS for interacting with the help, the cleaner must be so honoured Grin

Why would you even need to mention he treats as an equal, surely that goes without saying
OverByYer · 21/03/2022 06:27

You have a cleaner everyday?!

lottie222 · 21/03/2022 06:28

I am really confused by how you can afford a daily cleaner but begrudge her using a couple of coffee pods a day? So it clearly isn't a financial issue? Your just a tight arse. Nice.

DancingBarefootOnIce · 21/03/2022 06:28

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

daretodenim · 21/03/2022 06:28

Your house, your rules, OP. So if you're not comfortable with her taking a Nespresso then just tell her that you've bought her instant coffee and that's for her.

Of course, she's totally free to respond to that however she wants. Were it me, I'd start looking for an employer who didn't view me as a lesser human. But maybe she's lucky to have a job and she'll feel she has to just get on with a horrible employer. However, at least she'll then know exactly what sort of person she's working for and your coffee will be safe. Win-win, right?

PlumpAndDeliciousFatcat · 21/03/2022 06:30

@WaterBottleLabel

A jar of Nescafé would work out to around 33p a cup just for coffee, no milk or sugar. A nespresso Starbucks capsule would be around 33p, again just for the coffee. So I don’t see the difference really and even if you buy different nespresso/coffee how much can the price difference really be that you’d begrudge her it? The most expensive ones I’ve ever bought were 44p a capsule, I couldn’t bring myself to begrudge someone I trusted in my home 11p.

Unless you live somewhere where a jar of Nescafé costs £20 you’ve put the decimal point in the wrong place. It’s more like 3.3p per serving.
ScarlettDarling · 21/03/2022 06:31

@WaterBottleLabel

A jar of Nescafé would work out to around 33p a cup just for coffee, no milk or sugar. A nespresso Starbucks capsule would be around 33p, again just for the coffee. So I don’t see the difference really and even if you buy different nespresso/coffee how much can the price difference really be that you’d begrudge her it? The most expensive ones I’ve ever bought were 44p a capsule, I couldn’t bring myself to begrudge someone I trusted in my home 11p.

How much does your jar of Nescafé cost?? I think a cup of instant would only cost pennies, nowhere near 33p.
TypicaIMe · 21/03/2022 06:35

Wow you must be well minging if you need a cleaner every day.

No wonder she needs a strong coffee to deal with your muckiness.

CrannyFadock · 21/03/2022 06:35

ShockGrin

TypicaIMe · 21/03/2022 06:36

TigerLilyTail · 21/03/2022 06:36

Onceuponatimethen · 21/03/2022 06:42

Be careful op - good cleaners are really hard to get. I make my lovely cleaner a posh coffee each time she comes. I think it would be rude to restrict her to cheap coffee and she may leave.

venusmay · 21/03/2022 06:44

Oh dear! Yes this is all a bit upstairs downstairs! I think she's entitled to decent coffee.

Imo that coffee is very strong, I'm sure she'll be super efficient!

FinnRussell · 21/03/2022 06:44

Kage30 · 21/03/2022 06:45

If you can afford a daily cleaner, I'm sure you can stretch to letting her have a nice coffee each day!

Porcupineintherough · 21/03/2022 06:46

A cup of slightly more expensive coffee? Its hardly the People's Revolution is it?

Winkydink · 21/03/2022 06:46

We also have a daily housekeeper and I am delighted that she enjoys a 52p nespresso capsule daily. If she went through 6 a day I’d have a word but I actively encourage her to have her daily coffee while she irons. Why are you so mean?

Ohfgsnotagain · 21/03/2022 06:48

Wow! So she’s only worthy of a nasty instant coffee? Would you have the same attitude if your GP popped in to see you everyday? Would a Dr be worthy of a better coffee?

If you can afford a cleaner everyday I’m sure you can afford a few coffee pods.

A good cleaner is worth holding on to and they’re in demand! If she’s a good cleaner and you value her then speak to her, tell her you’ve noticed she drinks the coffee and ask her to limit it to one coffee per visit.

IncompleteSenten · 21/03/2022 06:48

I doubt you're going to come back and tbh I expect this thread will be deleted when MN 'look behind the scenes'

But, just in case - why do you think it's not ok? Are you struggling financially? In which case wouldn't it make more sense to reduce the cleaner to every other day or even twice a week? You'd save far much more money than you'd save if she only drank the cheap coffee on her daily visit.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Kuachui · 21/03/2022 06:48

i worked as an au pair once. i quit after 2 days when the dad told me where the... workmans coffee was ( they had builders in) i asked if that was the coffee au pairs had to drink as well. yes. we couldnt drink from the machine unless we bought out own pods. i quit i could already tell how that was going to be

lemonnandliime · 21/03/2022 06:49

If you are being serious you are being really mean.

Supermarkets do their own version of the capsules for less than £2, get some of those in of you don't think she's worth the proper stuff.

If you can afford a cleaner you can bloody well afford to let her have a decent brew.

ivykaty44 · 21/03/2022 06:49

I work in someone’s home occasionally and they’ve said help myself to coffee, so I have a coffee. I’ve never considered looking for shit coffee to drink rather than a pod coffee

At home I don’t but shit coffee, so wouldn’t have thought about looking to drink it elsewhere

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.