Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to think this isn’t okay - cleaner nespresso

624 replies

Candyhats · 21/03/2022 04:56

We have a cleaner who comes in on a daily basis and obviously we have tea and instant coffee, which we keep in our home and provide for her to drink. However I noticed we are going through nespresso capsules quickly and then I realized she has nespresso(s) daily when she works. My husband does drink coffee and I’m the only one that drinks it and as a treat, even it home.

Aibu to address this with cleaner?

I tried to hide a sleeve with some capsules in, she found it and had a couple while emptying the rest into the nespresso jar.

OP posts:
ArmWrestlingWithChasNDave · 23/03/2022 13:44

@DameEdnasNeighbourhoodWatch It's probably best to start a thread on another board, not AIBU. Possibly Chat, or Mental Health (www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed). AIBU isn't a great place for support of that kind.

I have GAD and I hate having overnight visitors, so I understand how you feel. Flowers

Pedallleur · 23/03/2022 14:19

thats Nespresso that is £3.50 per sleeve or 35p a pod. other brands available. Starbucks made by Nespresso is often on offer as are alternative brands. If you feel so inclined you could hide the special special special pods and leave the cheaper ones out.

Candyhats · 23/03/2022 14:22

All sorted now. Thank you!!!

OP posts:
isthismylifenow · 23/03/2022 14:36

@Candyhats

All sorted now. Thank you!!!

It seems like this thread is never going to end OP...

🙈

Fwiw I'm glad that my cleaner only drinks tea. Seems easier now, but then again, that could also start a furore, ie tea bags or tea leaves.... Milk first or after...
longwayoff · 23/03/2022 14:49

Well, now you mention it, someone's been at my Earl Grey.

HoppingPavlova · 24/03/2022 09:04

I think she just put them on a tray so the cleaner could see all of their 'daily use' options and what she was welcome to, not that they're normally set out on a tray

But that in itself is also weird. If you think about the time and effort it takes to do this then your time has pretty much equaled the value of the pods so no net gain. It’s more a principle of the matter not a cost issue as time is money and if you are faffing about with trays and biscuits and coffee, teabags etc then $$ wise you’d be better off just letting them have a few Nespresso’s.

Sufar5555 · 24/03/2022 10:00

What I found staggering about the majority of the replies in this thread is not the fact that the cleaner is helping herself to a fancy coffee (and I've no doubt the cleaner probably had second doubts whilst doing this but continued to do so), but the real judgment/jealousy/bitterness came from the woman having a cleaner every day. Jesus Mumsnet, you really do scrap the bottom of the barrel.

Belladonna12 · 24/03/2022 10:13

@Sufar5555

What I found staggering about the majority of the replies in this thread is not the fact that the cleaner is helping herself to a fancy coffee (and I've no doubt the cleaner probably had second doubts whilst doing this but continued to do so), but the real judgment/jealousy/bitterness came from the woman having a cleaner every day. Jesus Mumsnet, you really do scrap the bottom of the barrel.

You seriously think that the negativity about OPs rather miserly attitude is motivated by jealousy and bitterness? That is a ridiculous assumption and I think it it says more about you than anything else.
Sufar5555 · 24/03/2022 10:27

Yeah I do, just read through the comments. 'You can afford a cleaner, but can't afford the cleaner an espresso'. If you don't think that's not about jealousy or envy, than more fool you.

Blossomtoes · 24/03/2022 10:41

@Sufar5555

Yeah I do, just read through the comments. 'You can afford a cleaner, but can't afford the cleaner an espresso'. If you don't think that's not about jealousy or envy, than more fool you.

Doesn’t look like jealousy to me. Just incredulity that anyone would be so miserly.
Belladonna12 · 24/03/2022 10:54

@Sufar5555

What makes you think that none of the posters who think it's miserly can afford a cleaner themselves? I could afford a cleaner if I wanted one (so no jealousy from me) but I think it's miserly to save 30 pence coffee pods for special occasions and to make a big deal about other people drinking it if you have have plenty of money.
Sufar5555 · 24/03/2022 12:02

You may think its miserly not to give, but lets introduce some emotional intelligence into the equation. The OP doesn't have to give. That's her choice. What's next? The cleaner fancies a drive in her car whenever tickles her fancy. She's not allowed to get upset about that? Just because she 'supposedly' has plenty of money doesn't mean there is a god damn given right for other people to take.
The fact that she was irritated by the cleaners behaviour is enough for the OP to speak up. Her feelings about the situation is all that is needed for the OP to make a decision and to trust her judgement.
I don't know about you, but giving when its genuine is a huge gift, not just for the giver but also for the receiver. When it's not genuine, all it does is lead to resentment.

Belladonna12 · 24/03/2022 12:20

It's not the same as the cleaner taking a drive in OP's car without asking because the OP said that she could have coffee. She is is outraged that the cleaner is drinking coffee pods costing 30p rather than something that cost 5p and I think that is miserly. Restricting herself to something which cost about 30p to one a day "as a treat" , when she clearly has a fair amount of money is also miserly.

Turningpurple · 24/03/2022 12:22

A nesspresso pod is not the same as a car. For starters taking someone car without consent is a crime. Then theres the insurance issue etc.

Making yourself a nespresso when someone has said 'help yourself to tea and coffee' is not stealing.

Letting someone make their own coffee is not a gift.

Womeninblack · 24/03/2022 12:47

I came on her thinking that OP wanted a cleaner coffee machine….

SolasAnla · 24/03/2022 14:55

@Womeninblack

I came on her thinking that OP wanted a cleaner coffee machine….

😯
Wellllll....
if the OP's cleaner did not use it and OP did not use it ......
🤷🏼‍♀️
HoppingPavlova · 24/03/2022 14:59

Christ, you really can’t see the difference in a cleaner using a coffee pod versus powdered shit when they have been told to help themselves to coffee versus just taking off with someone’s car without being told to help themselves to the car?

Blossomtoes · 24/03/2022 15:30

@HoppingPavlova

Christ, you really can’t see the difference in a cleaner using a coffee pod versus powdered shit when they have been told to help themselves to coffee versus just taking off with someone’s car without being told to help themselves to the car?

Of course she can. She’s being provocative.
Sufar5555 · 24/03/2022 15:37

@Belladonna12

It's not the same as the cleaner taking a drive in OP's car without asking because the OP said that she could have coffee. She is is outraged that the cleaner is drinking coffee pods costing 30p rather than something that cost 5p and I think that is miserly. Restricting herself to something which cost about 30p to one a day "as a treat" , when she clearly has a fair amount of money is also miserly.

She said she could have instinct coffee, not the coffee she is currently having or had.
Sufar5555 · 24/03/2022 15:41

@Belladonna12

And again, I'll make the same comment as before. Just because someone 'supposedly' has plenty of money, doesn't mean its a god damn given right for someone else to take. Regardless of whether you think of it as 'miserly.' The point isn't about the f*ing cost as you seem to bleat on about. It's about the fact she is taking something when she shouldn't have done. If the cleaner had wanted a bloody nespresso, then she should have asked.
Belladonna12 · 24/03/2022 15:44

She said she could have instinct coffee, not the coffee she is currently having or had.

Do you think she actually said that she could have instant coffee and not the nespresso coffee.Hmm More likely she said tea and coffee and just assumed that the cleaner would know that didn't include the sacred nespresso as it didn't occur to her that is what some people see as "coffee" .

Belladonna12 · 24/03/2022 15:49

And again, I'll make the same comment as before. Just because someone 'supposedly' has plenty of money, doesn't mean its a god damn given right for someone else to take. Regardless of whether you think of it as 'miserly.' The point isn't about the f*ing cost as you seem to bleat on about. It's about the fact she is taking something when she shouldn't have done. If the cleaner had wanted a bloody nespresso, then she should have asked.

As above, the cleaner didn't just take it. She was offered a coffee helped herself to a coffee. I very much doubt she was told at the time that it only included instant. She didn't specifically ask if she could have an nespresso because that is coffee.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Skiornottoski · 24/03/2022 15:57

When I offer coffee
I never ever ever differentiate between newpresso or instant!!

The instant is for me when I’m after a quick one as rushing out door
Otherwise… newpresso

But op said “coffee” in all likelihood (otherwise in her OP she would have clarified) and cleaner responded accordingly

NotAKaren69 · 29/03/2022 00:23

You can afford to pay a cleaner daily but not let them have some capsules of coffee? Sounds like you’re just being a cow…

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.