Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to think this isn’t okay - cleaner nespresso

624 replies

Candyhats · 21/03/2022 04:56

We have a cleaner who comes in on a daily basis and obviously we have tea and instant coffee, which we keep in our home and provide for her to drink. However I noticed we are going through nespresso capsules quickly and then I realized she has nespresso(s) daily when she works. My husband does drink coffee and I’m the only one that drinks it and as a treat, even it home.

Aibu to address this with cleaner?

I tried to hide a sleeve with some capsules in, she found it and had a couple while emptying the rest into the nespresso jar.

OP posts:
EthelTheAardvark · 23/03/2022 09:09

@contrelamontre

The OP says the cleaner opened a new (ineffectively hidden) sleeve, had a couple and emptied the rest into the jar. The original OP is complaining about daily nespresso(s). A couple = 2. Nespresso(s) more than 1.

That doesn't mean she always has two a day.
GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 23/03/2022 09:13

I see everyone’s point here in saying yabu

However I think the thing is it’s the OP’s occasional treat and not a daily thing. Same as if she got nice chocolate for occasional treats - she wouldn’t want it all disappearing before she had any.

girlmom21 · 23/03/2022 09:17

@EthelTheAardvark read your last two posts. If they're 50p a pod that's £2.50 a week. OP said the cleaner is costing her £5 a week in pods, so she's obviously having 2 a day - which was suggested in the OP.

isthismylifenow · 23/03/2022 09:29

@BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou

Proof

Wait, what @BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou

Is this the price per pod, or per sleeve?

I am in another country so trying to work out if we are being royally ripped off.....
isthismylifenow · 23/03/2022 09:32

Oh ignore me..... yikes.... I have read on since.....

astoundedgoat · 23/03/2022 09:33

You are being unreasonable for having a Nespresso, never mind instant coffee. Both ming.

I can’t believe you’re well off enough to have a daily cleaner and begrudge her a shit fake espresso.

Snoozysnoozy · 23/03/2022 09:37

You are being unreasonable for having a Nespresso, never mind instant coffee. Both ming.

I can’t believe you’re well off enough to have a daily cleaner and begrudge her a shit fake espresso.

Wow, snobbery in both directions simultaneously

homeedregret · 23/03/2022 09:40

For me it's not about the money, it's about her taking your stuff without asking. Would people saying 'show her her place' still be saying that if the cleaner was snacking on her employers salmon steaks whilst working?
I haven't RTFT so I'll retract my opinion if OP told her to help herself when she started working.

Brieandcamembert · 23/03/2022 09:46

I actually think it's really quite cheeky to be using the nice coffee machine when you are in the house by yourself. Its a bit like using the nice china off the dresser instead of the mugs put the cupboard. You just wouldn't.

If the family use them as a treat item the an employee shouldn't use them as the go to. It's not about the money, it's the cheekiness of using the nice coffee machine.

girlmom21 · 23/03/2022 09:48

@astoundedgoat

Does the barista make yours fresh every morning?
RockinHorseShit · 23/03/2022 09:53

Urgh, Nasty, nasty

You begrudge your staff a decent coffee, why? Because you see her as less than you because she cleans for you? Do you keep instant coffee for all guests, or just those that need to come in via the servants entrance Hmm

You really can't raise this with her without looking like a dickhead & potentially loosing her

Longclaw88 · 23/03/2022 10:37

I'd say yes, YABU... we have a cleaner and I make her two Nespresso coffees with barista oat milk everytime she comes round. The cost of that has never crossed my mind and we're not rich by any stretch. But if you're that bothered maybe buy some Aldi brand Nespresso compatible pods for about £1.30 a pack, put those in your jar, and keep your official Nespresso ones (£4 a pack) somewhere else.

EthelTheAardvark · 23/03/2022 10:38

[quote girlmom21]@EthelTheAardvark read your last two posts. If they're 50p a pod that's £2.50 a week. OP said the cleaner is costing her £5 a week in pods, so she's obviously having 2 a day - which was suggested in the OP. [/quote]
But, to be honest, I'm not too convinced about OP's maths skills. So I don't think your conclusion is inevitable.

EthelTheAardvark · 23/03/2022 10:39

@Brieandcamembert

I actually think it's really quite cheeky to be using the nice coffee machine when you are in the house by yourself. Its a bit like using the nice china off the dresser instead of the mugs put the cupboard. You just wouldn't.

If the family use them as a treat item the an employee shouldn't use them as the go to. It's not about the money, it's the cheekiness of using the nice coffee machine.

Wouldn't you? If both a kettle and a coffee machine are left available on the kitchen counter, what says that only one of them is available for use?
sleepyhoglet · 23/03/2022 10:41

If you can afford a daily cleaner, you can afford to let her have an nespresso!

Valeriekat · 23/03/2022 10:43

It is your house and you pay her. Ignore what the social justice warriors on here think.
I still don't understand why she needs a coffee break anyway.
I have had cleaners on 4 continents and they have never expected a break during a 3 to 4 hour clean.
Honestly I would feel she was stealing.

Snoozysnoozy · 23/03/2022 10:45

Because you see her as less than you because she cleans for you?

No, because the cleaner is drinking the coffee at a ratio of 4:1*

She has raised it with her and hasn't lost her (yet, time will tell)

But then you didn't read any updates did you? Just came here to sick the boot in.

*You really can't raise this with her without looking like a dickhead & potentially loosing her

Valeriekat · 23/03/2022 11:14

I also think that some people feel horribly guilty that they employ a cleaner and want to show how equal they are by sitting having coffee with them. Let them get on with their cleaning, they don't want to socialize with you.
Don't kid yourselves that anyone cleans other peoples houses because they like you. It is just a job
I respect my cleaner enough to realise that she has a very different life to mine. I don't patronize her.

ImAvingOops · 23/03/2022 11:18

I'd stop paying bonuses and flights home tbh. If you are paying her a living wage then that's where your obligation begins and ends. You aren't responsible for her ability to afford flights etc.
If she's got time for two or three breaks then she's not working that hard (unless she is working a full day every day in your home, which I think would be very unusual).

isthismylifenow · 23/03/2022 11:43

if you can afford a daily cleaner......

Is the new:

Cancel the cheque
and
There is no bride

longwayoff · 23/03/2022 11:57

Keep your pods in your knicker drawer with your vibrator. If she still takes them then her need is greater than yours. And hope it's just the pods she's using.

NippyWoowoo · 23/03/2022 12:09

Just out of interest those of you who say they would give their cleaner 'posh' coffee, would you also give your cleaner and builders cans of drink like coke? Or freshly squeezed juice? Or mineral water? If you had a soda stream would you be okay with them using it to make a nice refreshing drink?

Yes?? Omg I cannot get over the UK's obsession with anything above tap water being 'posh' I've never encountered it in another country. And I come from a country where the standard of living is much lower and no one begrudges someone a snack or drink 🙄

You could make cheapness an Olympic sport

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NippyWoowoo · 23/03/2022 12:11

I actually think it's really quite cheeky to be using the nice coffee machine when you are in the house by yourself. Its a bit like using the nice china off the dresser instead of the mugs put the cupboard.

No, it's really not 😂 Nespresso has done a good job in their marketing I guess.

DameEdnasNeighbourhoodWatch · 23/03/2022 13:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotMyselfWithoutCoffee · 23/03/2022 13:35

Did you mean to create your own thread?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.