Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To contact the school about this tomorrow

cornbeeflegs · 19/01/2022 22:02

My eldest DD (13) goes swimming with one of her friends on a Wednesday evening, has done since last August, at the local leisure centre. She goes straight from school to her friend's house, has dinner, does homework, etc and then they go to the pool for 8pm, spend an hour in the open swim session, then she gets dropped back here by one of friend's parents.
She came back very subdued this evening, thought maybe she'd had a fallout with friend or something, eventually she opened up and said she'd got into trouble with one of her teachers. Asked her which lesson it was in and what had happened, then she said it was at swimming.
Apparently DD and friend had been waiting for their lift home after swim session when one of their teachers had seen them, recognised them as being from her school because they were in uniform, and then proceeded to tell them off for not wearing it as per school rules, even though they weren't at school they were still "representing the school" by wearing it. She's asked them both to see her first thing tomorrow morning.
Usually I'm supportive of school and if my children transgress the rules then they face the consequences. But surely this is too harsh?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hankunamatata · 19/01/2022 22:04

If your kids is wearing school uniform and its identifiable which school then yes they need to wear it properly or get changed

Please
or

Bobbybobbins · 19/01/2022 22:04

I am a secondary teacher and I think this is utterly ridiculous. If I saw a child at the leisure centre in the evening in any form of uniform or not, would just say hello and that's it.

Please
or

crankysaurus · 19/01/2022 22:05

Have you double checked that it is stated in the school rules?

Please
or

Hellocatshome · 19/01/2022 22:09

Its not unusual for children out of school to be disciplined for things they do if they are wearing uniform as they are representing the school but picking up on uniform infractions does seem a bit heavy handed. I would wait to see what happens when they see the teacher tomorrow it will likely just be a talking to. I would give her a spare change of clothes in future, it would be more comfortable and avoid any issues.

Please
or

purpleme12 · 19/01/2022 22:12

Oh I would be really mad at this

Please
or

calliecapers · 19/01/2022 22:13

How did they breach rules?

I thought teachers were always moaning about their workloads? This one has now made more work for themself

Please
or

Whitegrenache · 19/01/2022 22:14

Utter madness - I'd be livid too

Please
or

Whatwouldscullydo · 19/01/2022 22:14

The teachers kicking off over this says more about the school than any loosened tie and relaxed uniform outside of school, outside of school hours ever could.

Please
or

SleeplessWB · 19/01/2022 22:14

I am a teacher and think that is ridiculous.

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 19/01/2022 22:15

What's too harsh? Nothing has happened yet.
It's fairly standard at every school I've ever been to, had kids go to, read the rules of etc etc that 'when you're in the uniform, you're representing the school. Wear it properly'
Bit unlucky for them to have been caught after swimming though - who would put a tie back on after that?!? Might be more pleasant just to take a cosie onesie to put on after swimming.

Please
or

angelikacpickles · 19/01/2022 22:15

@Hankunamatata

If your kids is wearing school uniform and its identifiable which school then yes they need to wear it properly or get changed

Seriously? I thought uniforms were supposed to be about creating a level playing field and avoiding peer pressure, rather than making sure they all look like proper little soldiers. How can a school control what a child wears outside of school hours?
Please
or

elelel · 19/01/2022 22:16

Context? How were they wearing the uniform?

Please
or

Goawayangryman · 19/01/2022 22:16

That teacher seriously needs to get a life. How utterly ridiculous.

Please
or

Cissyandflora · 19/01/2022 22:18

Bloody hell that was a lot of detail before finding out what happened.

Please
or

WabbitsAndWeasels · 19/01/2022 22:18

Surely unless they were messing about or misbehaving and identifiable in the uniform then it's really no business of the school. They weren't using school facilities, in the vacinity of the school or behaving badly so the school really shouldn't get involved.

We had occasions as teenagers where I'd be out and about in uniform well after school hours (similar reasons to OP) and my school wouldn't have cared. I think unless they were misbehaving this is way overstepping the remit of the school and its uniform. After all how wrong could they be wearing it at this chilly time of year? No blazer? No tie? It's not like summer where someone might just be wearing a vest top, the school skirt and their blazer draped over their arm.

My mum would definitely have contacted the school on my behalf and asked some questions regarding how far the reach of the school is regarding uniform. I'd also ask why she wanted to your DD (forget the friend for now) and if she had any kind of punishment planned.

Please
or

Sideswiped · 19/01/2022 22:18

I work in a secondary school. We enforce uniform rules in the school grounds and don't get involved outside of the school perimeter.
It might be worth waiting to see what the teacher does, but if there are any sanctions I would suggest you contact the school, say what's happened and ask them if this is appropriate. (I don't think it is.)

Please
or

Headteacher415 · 19/01/2022 22:20

Realistically, some secondary schools think that the only way to enforce discipline is to be so absolutely rigid on everything, at all times. It's very likely in their policy or staff handbook for staff to do this, and the particular teacher is being overzealous. I suspect you won't get very far by making contact, but if enough parents do it then over time it may make them realise that people don't support their policy. And it might just deter the teacher from giving them a detention when they see them!

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 19/01/2022 22:22

Were they mucking about? Or was it simply to do with the uniform

Please
or

cornbeeflegs · 19/01/2022 22:24

The obvious thing would be a change of clothes I know but she already has normal school bag, PE kit and musical instrument so can't really carry any more!

I've just asked her how they were wearing their uniforms, DD says it was just as it is now, ie. undone top button and slightly loosened tie and untucked shirt. She says her friend looked the same. Tbh she's had her tie looser for warm summer days at school than it is now.

She generally stays in uniform after school anyway and will come with me to supermarket, visit her granny, or goes to the park with her friends when it's lighter evenings. She usually just loosens her tie and untucks her shirt, so in that sense it's her 'normal' evening look. It's never been an issue before, and I'd never have thought of making her tidy it up for coming shopping or whatever.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mumjustmum · 19/01/2022 22:25

Sorry, but even 15 years ago when I left school we were...... "wearing our uniform therefore representing the school". Sorry if I've missed something, but was your DD possibly being antisocial when the teacher confronted her?

Please
or

BashStreetKid · 19/01/2022 22:25

This sort of pettiness is why school uniforms need to be abolished.

Please
or

PinkMoon22 · 19/01/2022 22:26

Absolutely ridiculous IMO

Please
or

JustOneMoreStep · 19/01/2022 22:26

Just to offer the other side, in every school I've ever worked in, I have been contractually obliged to tackle behaviour which does not meet school expectations, outside of school if they are in school uniform. Oddly, I've only ever seen well behaved students in immaculate uniform outside of school (but could theoretically be pulled up on failing to discipline those I 'didn't see').

Please
or

cornbeeflegs · 19/01/2022 22:27

@mumjustmum

Sorry, but even 15 years ago when I left school we were...... "wearing our uniform therefore representing the school". Sorry if I've missed something, but was your DD possibly being antisocial when the teacher confronted her?

Not messing around as far as I can gather, they were just standing in the foyer waiting for friend's dad to turn up!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Musmerian · 19/01/2022 22:28

@Bobbybobbins

I am a secondary teacher and I think this is utterly ridiculous. If I saw a child at the leisure centre in the evening in any form of uniform or not, would just say hello and that's it.

Yes - another teacher here and I totally agree. It’s bonkers.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.