or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To want to knock her lights out?

416 replies

AngryMumOfTwo · 07/01/2022 07:52

Hi,

I've nc'ed to be anon with this.

I'm quite upset because this note was stuck to our door overnight.

A bit of background. We've moved into this privately rented flat about 4 years ago, when our daughter was only 1. She is now 5. We have just had our second (and last) over Christmas. Like all newborns, she cries at night sometimes. She isn't too bad to be honest, at least we didn't think she was. Our oldest did cry a lot.

We get along with most people who live here. We're generally quiet and private as is all the other residents. Over 50% of them are elderly, though this isn't a retirement block of flats. We're the youngest, but there are others not much older then us.

We don't know who left the note. It is obviously unsigned. We have our suspicions but that's all. If they had knocked on the door and spoken to us, that wouldn't be a problem.

For their own sake, they better hope I don't find out who it is. I'm furious. It's horrid. The residents we've spoken to over the last few days have said how lovely she is but no noise complaints. Our immediate neighbours and the lady directly below are nice people so I don't think it's them.

I'm not sure what else I can really do about this. I had to vent my anger somewhere, sorry. My partner is angry but also found it amusing.

To want to knock her lights out?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1021 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
11%
You are NOT being unreasonable
89%
Sundancerintherain · 07/01/2022 07:55

They are a vile person .
Congratulations on your new baby Flowers

JackieQueen · 07/01/2022 07:58

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

HunterHearstHelmsley · 07/01/2022 07:58

Just screw the note up and leave it on the mat of the person you think wrote it then forgot all about it!

RunRunGingerbreadMan · 07/01/2022 07:58

Rude and ridiculous, enjoy your new baby and try to ignore them, if they don't like it they will have to move elsewhere.

HunterHearstHelmsley · 07/01/2022 07:58

Forget not forgot.

Keladrythesaviour · 07/01/2022 07:59

How appalling. No wonder you are upset.
I'd put a note back on your door something along the lines of:
"Dear kind Resident,
Thank you for pointing out the baby cries at night, we hadn't noticed due to the ear defenders we wear. We can recommend a good set if you want some. Since you've now brought our attention to the matter, we'd love your advice (solicited this time) - what is your best suggestion? Our current thoughts are smothering with a towel, or perhaps a gag rope. Although that probably wouldn't stop the ability to write letters, thinking about it.

Kind regards
No16"

I am a sarcastic cow though. Make sure you leave the original letter up next to it for context.

CloseYourEyesAndSee · 07/01/2022 07:59

Fuck me I read your post before the note and was prepared to be open minded but that's vile

AdamRyan · 07/01/2022 07:59

They are an idiot. Babies cry.
I think I'd leave them a note back suggesting a brand of earplugs and visiting the doctor about their stress levels and ability to tolerate normal life.
(I bet it's a certain type of older man. Some of them have no idea about children)

LethargicActress · 07/01/2022 08:00

That is a very nasty way of letting you know that your family is disturbing other people, but your aggressive reaction is OTT. I’d give this person the benefit of the doubt and try to reason that they probably wrote this note after a night of disturbances when they were feeling particularly angry. No one wants to be woken up by other people’s crying children.

abcdeckthehalls · 07/01/2022 08:00

This is absolutely vile OP Sad I’d be keeping the note so you have evidence if they start harassing you further.

manseymoo1987 · 07/01/2022 08:00

That's terrible. They could've got their point across without being insulting and vile. Ignore it.

gamerchick · 07/01/2022 08:01

Ring doorbell would be handy.

Don't let it eat you up. Theyre not worth the energy.

Pegasussnail · 07/01/2022 08:01

That is a very spiteful note written by what seems like a year 9 pupil in its mentality.

AdamRyan · 07/01/2022 08:01

Haha xpost with kaladry
I guess the other option is to talk to other neighbours about it. Most people will be sympathetic and might inadvertently make the person who wrote that feel ashamed of themselves by talking to them about how bad it was for someone to leave that note

weleasewoderick23 · 07/01/2022 08:02

I found the bit about moving in just to "breed" the most offensive. Twats Angry

Adododoadahdahdah · 07/01/2022 08:03

They write like a teenager!

Congratulations on you new baby Flowers I hope you are managing to get enough sleep and rest. Ignore the vile note.

Shehasadiamondinthesky · 07/01/2022 08:03

Why don't these morons wear earplugs. Put a note on your door. Please can the miserable whinger wg
Ho dislikes babies go and buy some ear plugs. Ffs I wear them in bed as my elderly neighbour has her tv on so loud its like a jumbo jet taking off.

LakieLady · 07/01/2022 08:04

Snowiscold · 07/01/2022 08:04

Your thread title is unpleasant and aggressive, so I was all ready to say YABU. However, that note is awful. I’m not surprised you’re upset.

Tal45 · 07/01/2022 08:04

Moving in just to breed??? That is disgusting.

JackTheHack · 07/01/2022 08:05

Notonthestairs · 07/01/2022 08:05

I'd leave the note up (so all can see just how unpleasant it is) and not respond further.

I understand why you'd be upset but a) whoever sent the note is too cowardly to talk direct to you so screw them and b) there is nothing you can do.

Please do put it to the back of your mind. Life is tough enough with a newborn and a young child Thanks

WakingFromDreams · 07/01/2022 08:05

What a vile coward.

SoupDragon · 07/01/2022 08:05

I would write a polite response and make enough copies to post through every single door in the building.

SoupDragon · 07/01/2022 08:06

Including the original note in the copies

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.