Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?

Libertaire · 08/12/2021 19:34

We were told that if we all got vaccinated life would return to normal, and that process would be ‘cautious but irreversible’. So we complied. I am triple-jabbed and extremely grateful for the work of the brilliant scientists who made this possible.

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown. The fear mongering is being ratcheted up day by day. If this was ever about public health, it cannot be now because everyone who is vulnerable to covid has been offered at least two doses of vaccine.

We surrendered our freedoms willingly, to protect ourselves and one another and because we believed that we would get them back. But that isn’t happening, is it? An authoritarian government has confiscated them permanently and we will never get them back until we take them back, which is what anti-lockdown campaigners said from the start. They have been proved right, haven’t they?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

rrhuth · 08/12/2021 20:32

@milly74

i was so excited thinking the vaccine spelled the end
it didn't and i was quite poorly after vaccination
no more for me

Better to be poorly after the vaccine than the virus.
Please
or

tilder · 08/12/2021 20:33

Vaccines are not 100% effective. Shocker. Viruses mutate. Shocker. I'm bloody glad we have the vaccines. It's had a huge impact on hospitalisations and deaths. Without the vaccines we would be struggling.

We're not in lockdown. I think there is uncertainty around omicron. It's very transmissible (so R is likely to go up). We don't know yet if it will escape the vaccines. That's the risk.

Please
or

SusieBob · 08/12/2021 20:34

@milly74

i was so excited thinking the vaccine spelled the end
it didn't and i was quite poorly after vaccination
no more for me

Vaccines can cause side effects. This is not news.
Please
or

tilder · 08/12/2021 20:34

@WonderfulYou

Why do people think the government or whoever are ‘out to get us’?

What is the reason they want us all to stay at home or to poison us with vaccinations or whatever people believe?

Genuine questions.

Conspiracy theories.
Please
or

Confiscatedpopit · 08/12/2021 20:34

The NHS is utterly shit in many areas and not fit for purpose. Nothing to do with money- just sheer ineptness, no connected/ forward thinking and horrendous organisation. If they didn’t ‘lose’ things constantly, did things right in the first instance and had effective communication systems with other departments/hospitals it’d save a fortune. The whole thing needs dismantling from top to bottom and a regulated organisation like OfSTED coming in regularly to inspect.

This new variant is meant to be no worse than a cold.

Absolutely mental- we need to move on from this rubbish and remember about the youngest in our society.

Please
or

GoldenOmber · 08/12/2021 20:34

Yeah it’s not a lockdown. But what happens when it inevitable doesn’t work? People will clamour for more measures.

I don’t think the conspiracy theorist anti-lockdowners were right that there’s nefarious plots behind it. There is not a plot, nefarious or otherwise. There is an absence filled with people’s fear - fear of the virus, and fear that groups who have had the system work to their advantage all their life can’t have infectious diseases removed for them by tech or political solutions.

I’m starting to think the ones who claimed it wouldn’t end without mass social unrest may have had a point, though.

Please
or

somewhereoverthechipshop · 08/12/2021 20:35

They won’t have another lockdown.

Please
or

CrumpledCrumpet · 08/12/2021 20:35

Everywhere needs to keep its population tied down and restricted until everywhere has had the chance to fully install the vaccine passports. Then there will be a global digital ID system and that is the plan.

If covid is just a massive conspiracy to introduce a global digital ID system, then it’s a really inefficient way of going about it.

Please
or

ballsdeep · 08/12/2021 20:36

@ItsSnowJokes

What lockdown? Not in the UK there isn't. You have to wear a mask and work from home if you can. Vaccine passport for nightclubs. That's it! No lockdown.

Agree and this has been the case in Wales for months.
Stop bloody scaremongering. Who the hell would ever lockdown now after the shit show of the government and the parties
Please
or

oakleaffy · 08/12/2021 20:37

Met a woman in a shop who has just recovered from covid. She has teenaged children, they brought it home from School.
Shr and her husband have been double jabbed, said the covid she had was no worse than a cold.

I worry far more about cancer treatments &c being put on hold because of Covid.

Please
or

MrsSkylerWhite · 08/12/2021 20:37

“I’m starting to think the ones who claimed it wouldn’t end without mass social unrest may have had a point, though.“

Oh nonsense. Ultimately, people will do what’s right for them and their loved ones, which in most cases is being cautious whatever Govt. advice may say.

Please
or

Blossom64265 · 08/12/2021 20:37

The vaccines do not provide immunity for the people who are most vulnerable.

The uptake rate on vaccination is abysmal.
Teens have only had 1 jab. Children have had none. The population is nowhere near vaccinated enough to provide protection to the vulnerable.

Social distancing has basically been abandoned.

We could have kept this from happening by being more cautious. keeping social distancing, wearing masks, restricting crowds, limiting travel, but people were impatient and threw a tantrum over wanting a return to normal.

Please
or

puppeteer · 08/12/2021 20:38

@Lostinacloud

The plan is that we won’t be allowed to truly live with covid in the sense that we used to live with winter viruses. Even though they seem to be keeping very quiet about how dangerous omnicron is, most reports so far suggest it has evolved into a mild cold virus as expected. This should be the best news ever, to be celebrated from the rooftops and all restrictions immediately lifted, including travel ones, so that omnicron can spread as fast as possible and become the dominant strain worldwide.
But no, that’s not going to happen. Everywhere needs to keep its population tied down and restricted until everywhere has had the chance to fully install the vaccine passports. Then there will be a global digital ID system and that is the plan.

You're clearly mad. Give up with this paranoia.

Everyone knows actually it's the 5G chips in the vaccines that we really need to be afraid of.
Please
or

GoldenOmber · 08/12/2021 20:39

@MrsSkylerWhite

“I’m starting to think the ones who claimed it wouldn’t end without mass social unrest may have had a point, though.“

Oh nonsense. Ultimately, people will do what’s right for them and their loved ones, which in most cases is being cautious whatever Govt. advice may say.

If people would do it anyway, then there’d be no need to put in laws to make them, would there?
Please
or

MerrilyFcked · 08/12/2021 20:40

They have not been proven right but they do seem to be having an affect on you and your mental health, seeing as you have started to believe them. Stop reading anything from any anti-lockdown and anti-vax nutters and maybe take a break from mumsnet/FB/TikTok/the news/whatever else for a few days.

Please
or

Lostinacloud · 08/12/2021 20:40

There are some really original rebuttals coming out on this thread Hmm Nothing I haven’t heard before and can easily ignore.

Please
or

Sally872 · 08/12/2021 20:40

You've got a short memory if you think this is lockdown.

Lockdown = Minimise visits to supermarkets, all hospitality shut, no household mixing and one hour out for exercise per day.

We are being asked to wear masks and work from home if we can. It's not nearly as bad.

Please
or

GoldenOmber · 08/12/2021 20:40

We could have kept this from happening by being more cautious. keeping social distancing, wearing masks, restricting crowds, limiting travel

For how long? For eternity? Until the virus magically vanished? Because plenty of countries did that, and then relaxed restrictions, and…. cases went whoosh right up again.

Please
or

MushMonster · 08/12/2021 20:41

Who said we are having another lockdown?

Please
or

Hamjamwich · 08/12/2021 20:41

@Crunchiedelight

I certainly won’t be locking down. They can fuck off.

Me too. I said that outloud when watching the news
🐂💩
🤡
Please
or

WonderfulYou · 08/12/2021 20:42

Then there will be a global digital ID system and that is the plan.

Surely if you have a regular passport, driving license, bank account etc there is already a digital ID system in place.

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 08/12/2021 20:42

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown

No we are not. No one knows that. Literally NO ONE on earth knows how omicron is going to spread or the next variant and all the other ones

We might end up being locked down again, but to say we are inexorably heading that way is wrong.

Please
or

SusieBob · 08/12/2021 20:42

@Lostinacloud

There are some really original rebuttals coming out on this thread Hmm Nothing I haven’t heard before and can easily ignore.

Whereas your bullshit conspiracy theory you pinched off YouTube is totally your own work Hmm
Please
or

521Jeanie · 08/12/2021 20:43

The vaccines aren't effective enough. They haven't worked anywhere. Why can't they just admit this?

They worked spectacularly well to stop people getting very sick and dying. They are not so good at preventing transmission, especially against variants which didn't exist when the vaccine was invented.

Please
or

MasterBeth · 08/12/2021 20:43

@Libertaire

We were told that if we all got vaccinated life would return to normal, and that process would be ‘cautious but irreversible’. So we complied. I am triple-jabbed and extremely grateful for the work of the brilliant scientists who made this possible.

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown. The fear mongering is being ratcheted up day by day. If this was ever about public health, it cannot be now because everyone who is vulnerable to covid has been offered at least two doses of vaccine.

We surrendered our freedoms willingly, to protect ourselves and one another and because we believed that we would get them back. But that isn’t happening, is it? An authoritarian government has confiscated them permanently and we will never get them back until we take them back, which is what anti-lockdown campaigners said from the start. They have been proved right, haven’t they?

No one is being told to lock down. You are being asked to wear a mask in the cinema and work from where that’s possible.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.