Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?

Libertaire · 08/12/2021 19:34

We were told that if we all got vaccinated life would return to normal, and that process would be ‘cautious but irreversible’. So we complied. I am triple-jabbed and extremely grateful for the work of the brilliant scientists who made this possible.

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown. The fear mongering is being ratcheted up day by day. If this was ever about public health, it cannot be now because everyone who is vulnerable to covid has been offered at least two doses of vaccine.

We surrendered our freedoms willingly, to protect ourselves and one another and because we believed that we would get them back. But that isn’t happening, is it? An authoritarian government has confiscated them permanently and we will never get them back until we take them back, which is what anti-lockdown campaigners said from the start. They have been proved right, haven’t they?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Sensible123 · 06/01/2022 11:12

"FromEden The vaccines aren't effective enough. They haven't worked anywhere. Why can't they just admit this?"

I think you should admit @FromEden that you don't actually look at the data confirmed by multiple scientists that show that vaccines prevent death. Just follow the rules as the pandemic won't last forever, neither did spanish flu or other things before that.

Please
or

PlanetNormal · 19/12/2021 00:52

Yes, OP, you are spot on about another lockdown being inevitable. The anti-lockdown campaigners have 100% been proved right.

Please
or

Mara263 · 11/12/2021 22:36

Too many twats think they know better and won’t get vaccinated

Lots of people not bothering with social distancing Masks etc when they can (for example there was no one wearing a mask when I went into the hospital car park lift the other day)

You actually need an immune system to mount an effective immunity from a vaccine - if you already have a compromised immune system, as many vulnerable do, then the vaccine potentially is not effective for you

It’s plan B, not a full lockdown

Please
or

Bootikin · 11/12/2021 22:05

Have you always been this hard of thinking or is this a new issue? What level of stupid does it take to fail to assimilate (a) anti vac morons in U.K. allowing virus to spread (b) lack of available vac in say, South Africa allowing COVID to mutate (c) unrestricted travel allowing (b) to reach (a) .I really haven’t got the energy to try to explain it to OP. Are you surprised by gravity as well?

Please
or

FluffyBooBoo · 11/12/2021 21:01

This is not the case in my area of Scotland

Good job I was responding to a post about Scotland l/England/Wales in general, and not your specific area, in that case.

I don't really have time to compare every health board area.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 11/12/2021 19:25

We have to see how Plan B vote goes first

Which is far off lockdown

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 11/12/2021 19:25

@sst1234

Does anyone still seriously believe the line ‘oh but there no lockdown though’. Its coming, you’d have to be willfully ignorant not to see it. The media cannot get enough of the new non-peer reviews report that Omicron is really bad. And parroting the line about ‘everyone’ wondering if the current restrictions are enough. Who is this ‘ ‘everyone’?

I really hope not.
Please
or

ripples101 · 11/12/2021 19:21

@sst1234

Does anyone still seriously believe the line ‘oh but there no lockdown though’. Its coming, you’d have to be willfully ignorant not to see it. The media cannot get enough of the new non-peer reviews report that Omicron is really bad. And parroting the line about ‘everyone’ wondering if the current restrictions are enough. Who is this ‘ ‘everyone’?

Ok so it’s coming. If it happens, what do you think it means? What will you do?

I’ve seen you post numerous times on this forum on the topic of covid, and your party line seems to be to be critical of anyone who goes along with the guidelines/regulations/rules (however you wish to call them).

So, what are you going to do?
Please
or

sst1234 · 11/12/2021 18:38

Please
or

Lilifer · 11/12/2021 00:10

@LumosSolem

Well done, you missed the point entirely.

How?

Guessing from your response you didn't actually give a shit about ODA cuts anyway but I'm not surprised. Virtue signalling is obviously far more important.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Please
or

Throckmorton · 10/12/2021 23:17

This is a pandemic. A huge, global medical emergency caused by a virus that can mutate and potentially evade current vaccines. How could you think if would be over quickly? Read Daniel DeFoe's history of the plague and give thanks that we have the luxury of modern medicine and vaccination.

Please
or

Lilifer · 10/12/2021 23:10

@TulipsGarden

We're not in lockdown. If we didn't have vaccines we must definitely would be, but we're not.

Why do people think the government want lockdown? What's in it for them? It costs them vast amounts of money, pisses off the electorate, it's a nightmare.

It's costs the government nothing, they have not and will not lose one penny from their salaries and pensions, it costs the tax payer though who is going to be paying the cost of lockdowns for a long long time to come .
Please
or

megustalacerveza · 10/12/2021 22:56

@doublemonkey No. As the Twitter post clarifies, he meant the original two doses plus booster are needed against Omicron, not that there will be a three-dose vaccine for Omicron on top of these!

He means three dose as opposed to two dose, as it was originally packaged.

Please
or

doublemonkey · 10/12/2021 22:44

[quote megustalacerveza]@doublemonkey no, it doesn't! It says the exact opposite![/quote]
The exact opposite would be the CEO saying that there would be no new shots for Omricon, but that's not what he said when 'clarifying'.

Here's another source and again, a direct quote

That implies substantial changes may be required to global vaccination plans. BioNTech CEO Dr. Ugur Sahin said at a virtual press conference on Wednesday that, against Omicron, the vaccine is effectively a three-dose vaccine.

“It is very clear, our vaccine, for the Omicron variant, should be a three-dose vaccine,” Sahin said

www.barrons.com/articles/covid-omicron-biontech-pfizer-51638988700

Please
or

megustalacerveza · 10/12/2021 22:31

@doublemonkey no, it doesn't! It says the exact opposite!

Please
or

doublemonkey · 10/12/2021 22:27

[quote cardibach]@doublemonkey Also in the same article, someone working on the new Pfizer shot for Omricon saying that it will definitely be a three shot treatment. Just to be clear that's 3 new shots
In amongst all this ‘research’ you would have thought you would have come across the information that the 3 new shot idea was a misunderstanding. See the images.[/quote]
No 'research' required - it's a newspaper article with a direct quote from the CEO of the company manufacturing the shots for Pfizer.

Your twitter post confirms that the new Omricon shot will be two shots and a booster.

Please
or

cardibach · 10/12/2021 22:20

@doublemonkey Also in the same article, someone working on the new Pfizer shot for Omricon saying that it will definitely be a three shot treatment. Just to be clear that's 3 new shots
In amongst all this ‘research’ you would have thought you would have come across the information that the 3 new shot idea was a misunderstanding. See the images.

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right? To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?
Please
or

Lussekatt · 10/12/2021 21:55

@Snoozysnoozy

From the very start I remember them being very clear that this would be a process of lockdown restrictions and opening up for a period of at least three years.

Really? I recall the lockdown was to save the NHS from being overwhelmed, too flatten the curve, and to allow time for PPE to be procured.

Stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS.

It was only going to be 3 weeks. Then the vaccination was going to be our way out. Now it's boosters every 3 months and we still have other restrictions in place.

No, they were clear from the start. Rolling lockdowns and restrictions. And anyone who honestly believed the "three weeks" would be three weeks haven't a clue how viruses work. It was never, ever going to be three weeks.
Please
or

RonaLisa · 10/12/2021 21:21

@BoredZelda

Many on MN and within general public love lockdowns.

I wish people would stop with this bullshit.

Why? It's true.
Please
or

Movinghouseatlast · 10/12/2021 10:12

@ripples101 you are so right.

It's sad reading some of the absolute rubbish some people believe. It is STILL about ensuring the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed because it is simply about maths. A new faster spreading variant will infect more people and so more people will need hospitalisation.

Please
or

AutumnalLeaves38 · 10/12/2021 09:56

@ripples101

I’m not bothered about taking a vaccine. I’m not bothered about having booster shots. I’m not bothered about having to have a booster shot regularly. I’m not bothered about having to wear a mask (because fortunately for me I don’t have any medical circumstances that means I am exempt from doing so).

I do all (and have had all) of the above. I don’t regard any of the above to be restriction in freedom. Even for those that are exempt from wearing a mask, or not able to have the vaccine for medical reasons, they (in this country at least) are not being mandated to do so.

This pandemic has cost me loss of income, just as it has cost so many others. But this pandemic has also cost me family members who have died since March 2020, either because of Covid, died with Covid, or died from an illness unrelated (but nonetheless affected by) Covid. Just have so many others.

I don’t like how people are turning against each other because they have different views in regards to Covid. But that’s always been the case with anything, so that is nothing new.

I especially dislike how people are so judgemental. I can wear a mask. I’ve never criticised anyone who is genuinely exempt from doing so. I especially dislike my cousin, who told her own 85 year old mother that she would never speak to her again if she had the vaccine.

I dislike the people who think im a sheep just because I see value in social distancing during a pandemic and have no problem wearing a mask while in public places. I dislike people who say I am gullible just because I listen to the medical advice of people who know medicine much better than I (or they) do.

It’s a shit situation for every single one of us (apart from those who have managed to profit from this situation). I just wish we would stop turning against each other, because we are not to blame. We are all, in our own way, just trying to deal with it.

So I won’t criticise (or blame) anyone who refuses to get vaccinated, just as I don’t want them to criticise (or blame) me for being vaccinated. I won’t criticise (or blame) anyone who chooses (that’s chooses) not to wear a mask, just as I don’t want them to criticise (or blame) me for wearing a mask.

But what I can’t stand for, is the abuse of power that people in authority are and have been displaying as a result of this pandemic. Namely the Government and the police. The way they have handled it almost makes citizens out to be the ones to blame. That has resulted in a us and them attitude. That has resulted in division. Which has resulted in us losing sight of the fact that every single one of us (and them) are actually in this together.

^ Most reasoned and fair post so far.
Please
or

AutumnalLeaves38 · 10/12/2021 09:52

I want to be informed and would stick by rules based on science to control spread. Politics is a joke but bottom line is I want my friends, family and myself to be safe.

@Marmite17, I wholeheartedly agree.

Please
or

Snoozysnoozy · 10/12/2021 07:48

From the very start I remember them being very clear that this would be a process of lockdown restrictions and opening up for a period of at least three years.

Really? I recall the lockdown was to save the NHS from being overwhelmed, too flatten the curve, and to allow time for PPE to be procured.

Stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS.

It was only going to be 3 weeks. Then the vaccination was going to be our way out. Now it's boosters every 3 months and we still have other restrictions in place.

Please
or

cookiemonster2468 · 10/12/2021 05:07

@Crunchiedelight

I certainly won’t be locking down. They can fuck off.

Who's "They"? No one has actually asked you to Hmm
Please
or

Draggondragon · 10/12/2021 05:05

Yawn. Grow up.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.