Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?

Libertaire · 08/12/2021 19:34

We were told that if we all got vaccinated life would return to normal, and that process would be ‘cautious but irreversible’. So we complied. I am triple-jabbed and extremely grateful for the work of the brilliant scientists who made this possible.

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown. The fear mongering is being ratcheted up day by day. If this was ever about public health, it cannot be now because everyone who is vulnerable to covid has been offered at least two doses of vaccine.

We surrendered our freedoms willingly, to protect ourselves and one another and because we believed that we would get them back. But that isn’t happening, is it? An authoritarian government has confiscated them permanently and we will never get them back until we take them back, which is what anti-lockdown campaigners said from the start. They have been proved right, haven’t they?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

rrhuth · 08/12/2021 20:14

@Lostinacloud

The plan is that we won’t be allowed to truly live with covid in the sense that we used to live with winter viruses. Even though they seem to be keeping very quiet about how dangerous omnicron is, most reports so far suggest it has evolved into a mild cold virus as expected. This should be the best news ever, to be celebrated from the rooftops and all restrictions immediately lifted, including travel ones, so that omnicron can spread as fast as possible and become the dominant strain worldwide.
But no, that’s not going to happen. Everywhere needs to keep its population tied down and restricted until everywhere has had the chance to fully install the vaccine passports. Then there will be a global digital ID system and that is the plan.

This is bullshit. Just total conspiracy rubbish.
Please
or

rrhuth · 08/12/2021 20:14

@TinaYouFatLard

You can snort at *@LaplandLucy* but time will tell, I guess.

Hmm
Please
or

Lostinacloud · 08/12/2021 20:15

I’m the spirit of the OP, we shall see

Please
or

SusieBob · 08/12/2021 20:15

@tttigress

This is getting ridiculous now. Many people with 2 and even 3 jabs are getting Covid. It was said at the start of this that an effective vaccine would be difficult to develop.

I really think that we just need to get on with things now, and just focus on treating people that actually get Covid

This really isn't difficult.

The vaccines are effective but were developed against the original strain of the virus. The fact that we are now living relatively restriction free compared to this time last year is proof of that, never mind the actual studies that show how well the vaccine works.

The problem with saying "let's just treat people" is, and always will be, that there is limited capacity to do that. So sure, if you want a potential repeat of what came out of Italy 18 months ago let's just get on with things.

So it's always a balancing act. Even before this variant came along there was always a risk that some restrictions would be needed over winter.

How some people don't get this 2 years in is utterly mindblowing.
Please
or

shakingmytambourineatyou · 08/12/2021 20:15

They will not give up the power and money this is making. People have been terrified into submission. There will always be another reason. Another variant. Another vaccine.

Please
or

LaplandLucy · 08/12/2021 20:16

@TinaYouFatLard We will indeed! Be sure to track me down via my global ID and let me know you were correct!

Please
or

Pumperthepumper · 08/12/2021 20:17

@shakingmytambourineatyou

They will not give up the power and money this is making. People have been terrified into submission. There will always be another reason. Another variant. Another vaccine.

Why? What power?
Please
or

SusieBob · 08/12/2021 20:17

@shakingmytambourineatyou

What "money"?

Estimated cost to the UK economy of Covid is around £320 billion.

Yep, fucking minted.
Please
or

Lostinacloud · 08/12/2021 20:17

I will offer another prediction….vaccine passports will start with nightclubs and large events. Very quickly, with cases still rising, they will become applicable in theatres, cinemas, restaurants, pubs, museums etc
Then eventually testing will be made very difficult or expensive or removed from the options altogether and only the eternally vaccinated will have access to most parts of daily life.

Has nobody looked across the channel lately?

Please
or

SusieBob · 08/12/2021 20:18

@Lostinacloud

I will offer another prediction….vaccine passports will start with nightclubs and large events. Very quickly, with cases still rising, they will become applicable in theatres, cinemas, restaurants, pubs, museums etc
Then eventually testing will be made very difficult or expensive or removed from the options altogether and only the eternally vaccinated will have access to most parts of daily life.

Yep, and the vaccines have got microchips in them that make you vote tory for ever.

Blah blah fucking blah.
Please
or

Pumperthepumper · 08/12/2021 20:19

@Lostinacloud

Why though?
Please
or

LaplandLucy · 08/12/2021 20:19

@Lostinacloud you should really stop posting on mumsnet. Not only will you be tagged with a global ID but you’re definitely a candidate to end up in a gulag due to being one of the first to realise it’s a global conspiracy and spreading anti establishment information. The new world order will be very unhappy with you 😂😂

Please
or

Pumperthepumper · 08/12/2021 20:22

[quote LaplandLucy]@Lostinacloud you should really stop posting on mumsnet. Not only will you be tagged with a global ID but you’re definitely a candidate to end up in a gulag due to being one of the first to realise it’s a global conspiracy and spreading anti establishment information. The new world order will be very unhappy with you 😂😂[/quote]
It’s so funny how all of these enlightened people immediately take to social media to boast about how much they know about Big Brother a’coming. Most conspiracy theorists I’ve got on Facebook can’t go out for a cup of coffee without tagging themselves in the cafe, it’s ridiculous.

Please
or

OmgIThinkILikeYou · 08/12/2021 20:22

To be fair to @lostinacloud, Sweden has started to introduce a microchip in your hand which shows vaccination status.

Please
or

Whatelsecouldibecalled · 08/12/2021 20:24

Boiling frogs. All of us.

When does it end? Vaccine passports whether you agree or not are taking away freedoms. It is coercing people to have a vaccine when they have a right to choose if they don't want it.

Where does it end? No vaccine no job (already happening!) no vaccine no use of public transport? No vaccine no travel? No vaccine no freedoms? All in the name of safety of course.

I have had my vaccine because I have made a choice. But I support those who choose to have or not to have. That is their right.

Another variant will come. More restrictions will happen. They are restrictions regardless what anyone says. We can never return to 'normal' the government have seized the power in the name of public health and they will not relinquish it now. Short of mass revolt I can't see a way out.

Please
or

Moanranger · 08/12/2021 20:25

The fact that mutations are regularly occurring is due to the sheer size of the virus population, and this is directly due to the large number of unvaccinated people world wide. We would need to get 70%+ of the global population vaccinated to reduce the viral reproduction rate, such that mutations are reduced or eliminated.
It has little to do with authoritarianism or other dark political conspiracy -thinking, but the substantial logistical problem of getting that number of people vaccinated.

Please
or

Leetepp · 08/12/2021 20:26

In support of vaccines, i am cev and had 2 az jabs then pfizer as a booster. My partner is currently on day 8 of isolation due to catching covid, ironically at the hospital getting his 3rd jab. I'm still testing negative on lft despite still sharing a bed as I'd already been doing so before he tested positive. Wouldnt be surprised if we have another lockdown in the new year

Please
or

AudTheDeepMinded · 08/12/2021 20:27

@OmgIThinkILikeYou

To be fair to *@lostinacloud*, Sweden has started to introduce a microchip in your hand which shows vaccination status.

I thought the chip predated the virus and was implemented for other reasons, but is a 'handy' medium by which your vaccination status could be recorded?
For the record, I would not have a chip implanted in my hand for any purpose.
Please
or

Namenic · 08/12/2021 20:27

The choice is between a functioning nhs and restrictions. There is no choice to go back to normal - so a govt that encourages this view is lying. It’s just like saying brexit is not going to change trade or climate change is not going to affect our lives. These things will happen - we get a choice as to some of the side effects we tolerate - eg health system in trouble vs covid restrictions, worsened weather events vs tax on carbon. But we can’t just go back to how things were before.

Please
or

LittleDandelionClock · 08/12/2021 20:29

YANBU, and like fucking arseholes am I going to comply. They can kiss my fat hairy ass.

Please
or

LaplandLucy · 08/12/2021 20:30

@OmgIThinkILikeYou

To be fair to *@lostinacloud*, Sweden has started to introduce a microchip in your hand which shows vaccination status.

www.npr.org/2018/10/22/658808705/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-under-their-skin?t=1638995201426

No , Swedish people are choosing to voluntarily put microchips in their hands, as the next level of technology, to access their gyms, banking, homes etc.

Not for me personally but I do carry around a smart phone I use to share information, put on my house alarm, start my robot hoover, use the Sat Nav function via my location, pay for things in shops.

Do you also use a smart phone @OmgIThinkILikeYou ?
Please
or

OmgIThinkILikeYou · 08/12/2021 20:31

I thought the chip predated the virus and was implemented for other reasons, but is a 'handy' medium by which your vaccination status could be recorded?
For the record, I would not have a chip implanted in my hand for any purpose

Bit weird either way, I don't think I would be agreeing to that either!

I think it's voluntary there at the moment but the way things are going I expect it will be mandatory before the next few years are out.

Please
or

milly74 · 08/12/2021 20:31

i was so excited thinking the vaccine spelled the end
it didn't and i was quite poorly after vaccination
no more for me

Please
or

FromEden · 08/12/2021 20:32

no vaccine no use of public transport? No vaccine no travel?

In Canada, you can't use planes or trains if you are unvaccinated. You need a vaccine pass to cross over the land border to the US. So they have already lost the right to travel there and are basically confined to the country. The people supporting this will find themselves on the wrong side eventually and might change their minds then.

Please
or

WonderfulYou · 08/12/2021 20:32

Why do people think the government or whoever are ‘out to get us’?

What is the reason they want us all to stay at home or to poison us with vaccinations or whatever people believe?

Genuine questions.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.