Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?

Libertaire · 08/12/2021 19:34

We were told that if we all got vaccinated life would return to normal, and that process would be ‘cautious but irreversible’. So we complied. I am triple-jabbed and extremely grateful for the work of the brilliant scientists who made this possible.

Yet now, we are heading inexorably back into another lockdown. The fear mongering is being ratcheted up day by day. If this was ever about public health, it cannot be now because everyone who is vulnerable to covid has been offered at least two doses of vaccine.

We surrendered our freedoms willingly, to protect ourselves and one another and because we believed that we would get them back. But that isn’t happening, is it? An authoritarian government has confiscated them permanently and we will never get them back until we take them back, which is what anti-lockdown campaigners said from the start. They have been proved right, haven’t they?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

UserOfManyNames · 08/12/2021 23:32

So the Illuminati have got the world’s governments and top scientists in their pockets Grin. Covid is happening globally not just in the UK.

The fact is Covid is a NOVEL (which means new for the hard of thinking) virus and we have not had long enough to study it to see what it can mutate into. New mutations are always going to be a worry as we won’t know the effect they can have on the body. Therefore it makes sense to limit the spread, to reduce the mutations for a start, which with an AIRBORNE virus means keeping away from others and keeping your respiratory inhalations to yourself.

If another lockdown happens, it’ll be because of twats who refuse to wear masks and kept their distance not because the illuminati want to keep tabs on you (are you really that interesting?), or control your mind and create 8 billion zombie slaves.

Please
or

rossclare · 08/12/2021 23:34

But right now.

We aren’t in lockdown.

Please
or

Puzzledandpissedoff · 08/12/2021 23:38

Johnson did say once they know if vaccines will work ok with this variant, there will have to be a National conversation about what will happen next

I confess I found that amusing - not the concept, but the suggestion that the public would be involved

I don't know how many posters have been involved in government "consultations", but IME they generally work by them deciding what they're going to do, pretending to listen to others' views (though with ill hidden irritation) and then doing whatever it was anyway

Please
or

TheGoogleMum · 08/12/2021 23:42

It's nothing like a lockdown. Nothing will change for me as I already work from home when I can (I can't often) and wear masks most indoor places. I'm unlikely to go to any large gatherings but if I did I'm up to date with vaccines so no problem

Please
or

doublemonkey · 08/12/2021 23:45

@lisaandalan

The trouble is not everyone has been vaccinated, which is their choice but because of this, the virus will keep mutating and even though the vaccinated will not get as Ill as the unvaccinated, we will keep spreading it around because of the number of non vaccinated it gives the virus chance to keep getting stronger.

This doesn't make sense. There are likely to be way more mutations in vaccinated people. Firstly because there are way more of them and they're more likely to be infected but asymptomatic.

Also just to point out, you can only spread an illness if you actually have that disease. You can't spread a virus by being unvaccinated.
Please
or

Firkinhavinalaugh · 08/12/2021 23:57

A lockdown would be irritating but better. key here is WFH if you are in retail or hospitality of any sort you are expected to be at work, with far fewer customers ( as they’re wfh) but without the benefit of furlough or rate reductions.

It’s shit with a capital S

Please
or

Firkinhavinalaugh · 09/12/2021 00:01

@doublemonkey that’s a false argument, the mutations don’t come from the vaccinated.

Please
or

doublemonkey · 09/12/2021 00:02

[quote Firkinhavinalaugh]@doublemonkey that’s a false argument, the mutations don’t come from the vaccinated.[/quote]
I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Please
or

Rummikub · 09/12/2021 00:02

Is that true /\

Please
or

NoddyMcdoddy · 09/12/2021 00:04

[quote AutomaticMoon]@FromEden I was just about to post links to the stats about how in Ireland 100% of people dying with covid were vaccinated. You can infer different things from this, eg: are the deaths being counted as ‘with’ covid or ‘due to covid’. And 100% vaccinated Gibraltar is having a major outbreak and major restrictions. People are so liberal with their scapegoating of the unvaccinated, there’s actually a good article about that, how this isn’t a logical process but the ancient practice of scapegoating which is not logic based.[/quote]
What stats are these ? Currently 60% of deaths in Ireland due to covid are in the unvaccinated group and considering this cohort is less than 10% of the population that equates to a significant more number of deaths attributed to being unvaccinated.

The stats speak for themselves vaccines reduce deaths

To think the anti-lockdown brigade have been proved right?
Please
or

BoredZelda · 09/12/2021 00:05

Scotland never stopped wearing masks or wfh

Hardly anyone I know still works from home unless it is their preferred option.

Hardly anyone wears masks either. Except in my daughter’s high school, where there have been a some isolated cases but no outbreak. Three kids in her class have tested positive at different times since August. There have been no contact cases in her class.

Please
or
Please
or

Nancydrawn · 09/12/2021 00:17

[quote AutomaticMoon]charleseisenstein.substack.com/p/mob-morality-and-the-unvaxxed[/quote]
Of course Charles Eisenstein has a substack. Of course he does.

Please
or

sst1234 · 09/12/2021 00:20

Get real folks and stop with the ‘oh but there’s no lockdown’. A lockdown is coming. Many on MN and within general public love lockdowns.

For those that don’t like being locked down, what will you do? Serious question, will you comply?

Please
or

MountainDweller · 09/12/2021 00:26

What lockdown? The U.K... no, England... now has similar restrictions to the those that rest of (the continent of) Europe has had since the summer. While England has been enjoying 'freedom' we have been quietly wearing masks indoors, using vaccine passports and working from home where possible. Until recently our cases were 1/10th of the UK's. Stop whinging!

Please
or

fluffi · 09/12/2021 00:27

We're nowhere near another lockdown ... WFH is only being introduced on Monday. This time last year we were still WFH and were considering ourselves extremely lucky if were were going to be allowed back by Spring! Football is still on, nightclubs are still open (remember they only opened in the summer), large events are still allowed. There is not even any talk of restricting gathering sizes, aka rule of 6 or social distancing in hospitality or other settings yet.

Masks, WFH and covid passes do not equal a lockdown! Masks and covid passes enable us to get on with things as much as possble!

Please
or

MrsPsmalls · 09/12/2021 00:31

Of course they will comply. If there is a proper lockdown there is no option. How will they attend the theatre,football eat out if everything is shut? How will they visit relatives in hospital if they are banned? Send kids to school if they are closed?

Please
or

montysma1 · 09/12/2021 00:31

Whats been proved is that lock downs prevent the absolute collapse of the health system. Which is what we were told it was for.
All the freedom whingers achieve is more cases and more pressure on hospitals.

Please
or

skeptile · 09/12/2021 00:33

Nancydrawn Charles Eisenstein is an American writer, and orator. He's written some extremely well received books focusing on human culture.

Substack is replete with excellent independent journalism, and several major writers have found a home there.

www.theguardian.com/profile/charles-esenstein

Please
or

milkyaqua · 09/12/2021 00:46

@Lostinacloud

The plan is that we won’t be allowed to truly live with covid in the sense that we used to live with winter viruses. Even though they seem to be keeping very quiet about how dangerous omnicron is, most reports so far suggest it has evolved into a mild cold virus as expected. This should be the best news ever, to be celebrated from the rooftops and all restrictions immediately lifted, including travel ones, so that omnicron can spread as fast as possible and become the dominant strain worldwide.
But no, that’s not going to happen. Everywhere needs to keep its population tied down and restricted until everywhere has had the chance to fully install the vaccine passports. Then there will be a global digital ID system and that is the plan.

Steady on, old bean. The plan! Install! Plandemic tinfoil, froth, and nonsense.

It is far from being established exactly what risk Omnicron poses - what is known is that it spreads at an alarming rate. And, hello, winter... Not a good combo.
Please
or

CatAndHisKit · 09/12/2021 00:59

What 'authoritarian government'? you mean governments, in all countries?
Obviously not just the UK who's tighenng rules again, and some Euro countries have stricter rules (and much highe comliance with masks).

Please
or

Marmite17 · 09/12/2021 01:03

I've carried on doing what I think is right tbh after sticking to laws. Some of which made no sense.
Worn a face mask when possible throughout Triple jabbed. Free LFT before risky windband group. Mostly 60 years plus players and similar attitudes to Covid risk. So some have self isolated following pings/ contracting virus. Player who had it now almost fully recovered and at full volume.
There has to be some personal choice regarding risk.
I want to be informed and would stick by rules based on science to control spread.Politics is a joke but bottom line is I want my friends, family and myself to be safe.

Please
or

CatAndHisKit · 09/12/2021 01:05

There is info emerging from scientists that Omicron is like a cold/only mild flu - nothing dangerous - the most vulnerable should get boosters as triple Pfizer already proven to stave it off. But the rest should be going back to normal lives, and if govts keep testing the compliance, they'll just be asking for trouble.

Please
or

FluffyBooBoo · 09/12/2021 01:06

Given that the new variant that is causing the issues came from a country with a low vaccination rollout, I think there is a really good case for vaccination.

Please
or

Nancydrawn · 09/12/2021 01:15

I know who Charles Eisenstein is. I find him exhausting and self-promoting, particularly in the last few years. I find much of substack exhausting and self-promoting. Hence the sardonic response. It wasn't polite, but I'm so fed up with people talking about "Stories of Interbeing" whilst critiquing movements that actually help our collective lives.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.