Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Johnson be gone before Christmas or after?

Sarahlou63 · 07/12/2021 22:38

I'm thinking the 1922 committee grandees will run out of patience fairly soon. So will Johnson stand aside to be a better parent before Christmas or will he continue to drag his party into the shit into 2022?

YABU - hangs on for grim death

YANBU - Who the fuck is Johnson?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

OhWhyNot · 08/12/2021 07:41

Ikeameatballs I agree Hunt is hovering in the background while making popular statement

I would be very surprised if he became leader but wouldn’t be surprised if he challenged Johnson

risefromyourgrave it’s true the superiority of many on the left has lost voters. Labour need to learn from their mistakes abs listen to their core voters and engage with them

Please
or

Cam77 · 08/12/2021 07:48

Not sure about Sunak. At some point the British electorate will click that to keep promoting people of hugely wealthy and privileged background to the top of government is not in the national interest. In difficult economic times there can be a conflict between the interests of the 1%/the interests of shareholders at big multinationals VS the majority. I wouldn't trust Sunak with his billionaire family ties to acknowledge that in policy.

Please
or

Cam77 · 08/12/2021 07:49

@VikingVolva
And of course it doesn't help that there is no alternative

The majority didn't vote Tory last time round, so youre taking nonsense.

Please
or

WeatherwaxOn · 08/12/2021 07:52

People are still saying, "He's doing his best." and, "He got Brexit done"
They'd support him regardless. Feels like society is broken and people are just sitting by whilst he screws them over again and again and again.

Please
or

Ohsofedupwiththis · 08/12/2021 07:57

Why should he go?

His behaviour in Downing Street is the same as his behaviour has always been

The Tory Party knew him better than most - they voted for him.

The British public knew he was corrupt (hell how could you not) yet they voted him and his cronies in.

This is whay you voted for. This is what you get. Why be angry and upset?

Please
or

supermoonrising · 08/12/2021 08:01

I’m not Starmer’s biggest fan as his politics sometimes lacks conviction and he does come across as very bland. But the notion pushed by some on the right that a party led by the serious, competent and intelligent Starmer would be “unelectable”, while more “fuck business as usual” with the lying buffoon Boris Johnson and his merry band of corrupt incompetents is all A-OK is beyond laughable. “Boris” might treat the country like idiots, but the vast majority no longer fool for it, and when it comes to an election they’ll vote for who looks like they can provide competence and best rescue our Brexit fucked economy.

Please
or

quiteathome · 08/12/2021 08:01

He is doing his best' this phrase makes my blood boil. He is not five. And as for Brexit.

I think he will attempt to stay.

Although I do wonder where this party leak has come from. (2.6 million pounds spent on a room that has only been used for a leak. That money could have been spent on so much else.)

Please
or

Firesidefox · 08/12/2021 08:03

@blackcurrantjam

Starmer and co aren't helping

100pc this.

It's being handed to them on a plate and yet... nothing.
Please
or

AndreaC67 · 08/12/2021 08:03

@VikingVolva

He's immensely popular (and Teflon) to much of the party and electorate.

He's not 'hanging on' - he's the one who got them a huge majority

And of course it doesn't help that there is no alternative. The opposition is still shite, and there are no plausible turncoat within the Tories

The opposition is very good but even now the tory media are not criticising him over these parties and his lying.

How can anyone really believe that a clown on a wire, who thinks he is Mr Benn and held two parties at his London residence, whilst 1000s died and we were in lockdown/Restrictions is better than a Lawyer and a former head of the DPP as PM.

Well, i can believe it, because people are trenchant in their beliefs, even when the evidence is over whelming against them.
Please
or

Bellafrenum · 08/12/2021 08:05

Why would he go anywhere? They can do whatever they want and they would still win an election tomorrow. How much worse can they really get? You name it and they have done it, and still the majority of the voting public say "yeah but at least they aren't Labour". That's why we don't really live in a democracy anymore. The government can do what they want.

Please
or

AndreaC67 · 08/12/2021 08:08

@Firesidefox

Day after day Labour politicians are on TV and Radio calling for Raabs resignation, explanations on the xmas party, criticising Johnson on CV, lack of these 40 hospitals, Afghanistan..... even in the last few minutes Starmer was on BBC1 calling BJ a liar.

Maybe listen to PMQs at 1200 today? if Bojo turns up.

Please
or

Thatldo · 08/12/2021 08:08

@ grandmasCat. Sadly I think you are right.we live in a very depressing time when poor people are happy to vote for their poverty to get worse.So many Brits are politically so uneducated,hence we got Brexit.A vote that has confirms,Britain is happy to be one of the poorest country in Europe.

Please
or

supermoonrising · 08/12/2021 08:09

@Ohsofedupwiththis
True. In Johnson’s defence, he’s never really pretended to be anything other than a centre-ground Tory with a low centre of moral gravity and a carefully curated “loveable bumbling fool” persona - that he’s used to great effect over his careers and which can boost the Tories a couple of million votes at election time. Nobody has ever, ever accused Johnson of competence, decency, real ability, or hard work.

Please
or

Fallagain · 08/12/2021 08:10

@the80sweregreat

Starmer needs replacing , fast
I've always said this, whilst he is in the opposition the Tories will get away with all of it.

Who with?

I’m struggling to see many positives on either side. I’m no Tory but it’s a shame Rory Stewert messed up that TV leadership interview.
Please
or

fournonblondes · 08/12/2021 08:10

This is not about BJ is about the hate to Tories. Any leader as long as is Tory would never be good. What is the option?

The big mistake is to compare this government to Trump. People are not as dumb in this country. Get real and leave the fantasy world.

Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 08/12/2021 08:14

People are still saying, "He's doing his best." and, "He got Brexit done"
They'd support him regardless. Feels like society is broken and people are just sitting by whilst he screws them over again and again and again.

Completely agree. I feel such sadness and despair at the state we're in.

Please
or

supermoonrising · 08/12/2021 08:15

@the80sweregreat
Starmer needs replacing , fast I've always said this, whilst he is in the opposition the Tories will get away with all of it.

Not his biggest fan at all. But Labour are ahead in the polls and Starmer, for all his faults, gives the impression of someone who could be PM - serious, boring, competent, intelligent. Arguably Labours main downfall at the moment is the perception of endless division and infighting within the party. I don’t think more of that is the solution now.

Please
or

MsJinks · 08/12/2021 08:15

Trouble is he and the party have ushered in all kinds of legislation undermining democracy and decency. I find him a complete embarrassment but apart from improving on that aspect with another leader then I can’t see the benefit of changing him particularly- the current Tories all do as they please and obtain greater and greater power, which won’t alter, and arguably someone like Sunak could be more efficient about it. I do want the Tories out, they disgust me, but now reaches of power are generally extended can we expect other parties not to also use them? It’s depressing all round.

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 08/12/2021 08:18

However shit he is (and it seems there are pretty much no limits) im not sure anyone else will want to take over whilst in the midst of a pandemic. (Then history will associate the shit brexit/pandemic period with BJ) But they might be waiting until next year when we are (hopefully) on our way out of the worst. No idea who, within the current Conservatives would be a palatable choice though?
Teresa May must be pleased though. Everyone thought she was crap and then BJ took over.....

Please
or

ElectraBlue · 08/12/2021 08:20

He is toast. The leaks (such as the Allegra video) are coming from inside government now and the press is turning against him.

I think that behind the scene there are some real worries about his behaviour/state of mind. The knives are out and he won't last much longer.

Please
or

C8H10N4O2 · 08/12/2021 08:22

Of course not. He's a self serving pork barrel politician who lacks any integrity or public service ethic.

But everyone knew that and voted him in already. Most of the voters expect it of him and have discounted the behaviour. His rivals in the party are far more likely to bide their time until closer to the next election.

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 08/12/2021 08:23

@MapleMay11

Boris Johnson's going nowhere. Starmer and Rayner make themselves look more ridiculous by the day - they're the gift that keeps on giving to the Tories.

I agree 100%, no alternative is there? Opposition party, don’t make me laugh.
Please
or

WowIlikereallyhateyou · 08/12/2021 08:24

Boris isnt going anywhere until a viable opposition is formed, and that is a loooong way off.

Please
or

NameChangeNameShange · 08/12/2021 08:33

@Exhausteddog

However shit he is (and it seems there are pretty much no limits) im not sure anyone else will want to take over whilst in the midst of a pandemic. (Then history will associate the shit brexit/pandemic period with BJ) But they might be waiting until next year when we are (hopefully) on our way out of the worst. No idea who, within the current Conservatives would be a palatable choice though?
Teresa May must be pleased though. Everyone thought she was crap and then BJ took over.....

This...

I think he'll hang on through Covid and then he'll be the one who has to deal with all that shit plus Brexit. If you were a truly ambitious Tory why would you want to be leader at the moment, surely you wait until things look like they are settling down then ride in and steal the glory.

Obviously, the greater good of the country isn't an important factor in this ....
Please
or

Pinksloth · 08/12/2021 08:33

@Sloth66

Given so many people trot out the “Labour Would Be Even Worse “argument, I’d guess he’s safe.
I am embarrassed and disgusted at what passes for government in this country.

This.

Including the media.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.