Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Johnson be gone before Christmas or after?

Sarahlou63 · 07/12/2021 22:38

I'm thinking the 1922 committee grandees will run out of patience fairly soon. So will Johnson stand aside to be a better parent before Christmas or will he continue to drag his party into the shit into 2022?

YABU - hangs on for grim death

YANBU - Who the fuck is Johnson?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

XingMing · 13/12/2021 21:07

150 deaths per day, including RTAs, strokes and heart attacks, plus very aged and dementia is probably at the low end of normal. How long would you like people to be kept going, if it is at the cost of a person who might recover perfectly and return to work? Granny v young father? Always the younger person in my book.

Please
or

AnotherOneWithNoGoodName · 13/12/2021 21:16

@XingMing

150 deaths per day, including RTAs, strokes and heart attacks, plus very aged and dementia is probably at the low end of normal. How long would you like people to be kept going, if it is at the cost of a person who might recover perfectly and return to work? Granny v young father? Always the younger person in my book.

Thats pretty cold. 150 excess deaths- ie they may not have died for another year or 18 months- of very much loved people. My Grandparents are long gone, but if not, I'd hate for them to be considered expendable or used to twist statistics or their deaths minimised in an effort to make this government look competent.
Please
or

XingMing · 13/12/2021 21:37

Where in my post did I say any of that? I thought I remarked that 150 deaths per day was fairly routine? Of course, if one is someone you love, it hurts a lot more and personally, but I think I am being dispassionate, rather than cold.

Please
or

XingMing · 13/12/2021 21:42

My DMiL is 92, and in a care home. She knows she is safe and well looked after, but it doesn't alter her dementia and loneliness. She tells us regularly that she would prefer to make a gentle soft exit from this life.

Please
or
Please
or

HeadPain · 13/12/2021 23:31

What's this 150 number? Excess deaths? Or deaths? "Excess deaths refers to the number of deaths in this week minus average number of deaths in England and Wales for the corresponding week in the previous five years."

Please
or

HeadPain · 13/12/2021 23:32

What's this 150 number? Excess deaths? Or deaths? "Excess deaths refers to the number of deaths in this week minus average number of deaths in England and Wales for the corresponding week in the previous five years."

Please
or

HeadPain · 13/12/2021 23:33

Sorry, either my internet or this website is playing up

Please
or

Sarahlou63 · 17/12/2021 05:25

North Shropshire has him (at least) one foot out the door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

longwayoff · 17/12/2021 07:08

Excellent result.

Please
or

jgw1 · 17/12/2021 07:25

Anyone who has been to North Shropshire will know how momentous this is. If North Shropshire is not Tory then anywhere can not be Tory.
Interesting to see some of the newspapers reporting on the antics of the neighbouring MP yesterday. His turn next?

Please
or

VikingOnTheFridge · 17/12/2021 07:34

Tee hee

Please
or

AlecTrevelyan006 · 17/12/2021 07:42

I think we should congratulate a Johnson here. It takes some proper proper effort to turn a 30 day suspension of a no mark MP that very few people would have noticed into a death spiral for your own political life and your only deeply held lifelong ambition. To be that utterly inept takes some serious effort.

Please
or

jgw1 · 17/12/2021 07:45

@AlecTrevelyan006

I think we should congratulate a Johnson here. It takes some proper proper effort to turn a 30 day suspension of a no mark MP that very few people would have noticed into a death spiral for your own political life and your only deeply held lifelong ambition. To be that utterly inept takes some serious effort.

Is he in fact a relative of that knight in Monty Python?
Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 17/12/2021 09:17

This is interesting news about the by-election result. But this has happened before, though. The Lib-Dems win the by election but I reverts to Conservative at the General election. But perhaps not this time. That was a good solid win. Would like to see our part of Wiltshire fall too - our MP's next to useless.

Please
or

longwayoff · 17/12/2021 09:45

The Cotswolds MP: arrogant doesn't begin to describe him. His contempt for constituents appears to be unmatched. Unfortunately, as he well knows, there is no chance whatsoever that the seat will change but hope springs eternal.

Please
or

OhWhyNot · 17/12/2021 09:47

No doubt we shall see Johnson on TV grovelling saying we have to listen blah blah

I think he will stay for a while yet. We may have to go back into lockdown or have tighter restrictions no one wants to be giving that news to the public

Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 17/12/2021 13:53

I hadn't realised that the same thing happened to the Chesham and Amersham constituency too, when there was a by-election following the death of their Conservative MP, Cheryl Gillan.

Please
or

ancientgran · 17/12/2021 13:56

@OhWhyNot

No doubt we shall see Johnson on TV grovelling saying we have to listen blah blah

I think he will stay for a while yet. We may have to go back into lockdown or have tighter restrictions no one wants to be giving that news to the public

He's blaming the media because of them focusing on politics and politicians. I wonder if he actually understands that he's a politician?
Please
or

ancientgran · 17/12/2021 14:00

I wonder what Theresa May is making of all this?

Please
or

ancientgran · 17/12/2021 14:03

Were we supposed to here about the Cabinet Office inquiry into the parties today? I'm sure I read somewhere that it would be today but I can't find anything now.

Please
or

OhWhyNot · 17/12/2021 14:49

Theresa May has been far more impressive on the back benches than ever as a PM

I’m sure she is having a chuckle

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 17/12/2021 15:09

@OhWhyNot

I agree, I rather enjoy back-bench Theresa.
Please
or

jgw1 · 17/12/2021 16:30

@OhWhyNot

Not just May, the current shower have even managed to make Jeremy Hunt look vaguely knowledgeable and competent, despite him being in significant part responsible for the shambles in social care funding.
Please
or

VikingOnTheFridge · 17/12/2021 16:42

Sometimes people are much better at a job once they're freed from the shackles of ambition.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.