Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Johnson be gone before Christmas or after?

Sarahlou63 · 07/12/2021 22:38

I'm thinking the 1922 committee grandees will run out of patience fairly soon. So will Johnson stand aside to be a better parent before Christmas or will he continue to drag his party into the shit into 2022?

YABU - hangs on for grim death

YANBU - Who the fuck is Johnson?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

CentrifugalBumblePuppy · 08/12/2021 00:12

No, he won’t be gone.

Just like in a bath, scum always rises to the top.

Please
or

Anothernamechange3 · 08/12/2021 00:18

@AnotherOneWithNoGoodName

First past the post is going to fuck us all for a long time.
Don't forget that more people cast votes for non-Tories last GE, but they still won a massive majority because of the system.

We were allowed to vote for/against this system a few years ago weren’t we and still let it continue. Any optimism I had about any of this seems a long time ago now Sad
Please
or

AnotherOneWithNoGoodName · 08/12/2021 00:25

We were allowed to vote for/against this system a few years ago weren’t we and still let it continue. Any optimism I had about any of this seems a long time ago now
Yep. To my shame, I was 18, didn't do any research and voted No. Which I deeply regret, although my one vote would have changed nothing. I like to think I am more informed these days.

Please
or

Skiptheheartsandflowers · 08/12/2021 00:27

I'm now fascinated by the idea of a Gove Sunak face off for the leadership. Though Hunt would be a preferable safe pair of hands for now. He's almost been a voice of reason lately. Things you never thought you'd say!

Johnson's on the slide now, though it may be a long slide. No movement before Christmas. Will depend in part on how the winter goes for Omicron, death rates and the NHS. I think any contenders would rather do a summer leadership contest and be out and about in the sunshine. Sunlight uplands mark 2.

Please
or

hayley037 · 08/12/2021 00:30

He guarantees 40% of the vote so won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

He has completely unified the right wing vote. Traditional shire and Home Counties Tories vote for him, working class sun reader Tories vote for him and UKIP/BNP types vote for him.

He will be in power for a lot longer yet. We have a system of government which in the past has relied on those in charge being gentlemanly enough to step down should there be any wrong doing such as breaking ministerial code, breaking the law or simply just being caught siphoning off millions to your mates. Johnson doesn't subscribe to that code and there are no real mechanisms to remove him except for the Tories pulling the trigger.

Please
or

AnotherOneWithNoGoodName · 08/12/2021 00:32

@Skiptheheartsandflowers

I'm now fascinated by the idea of a Gove Sunak face off for the leadership. Though Hunt would be a preferable safe pair of hands for now. He's almost been a voice of reason lately. Things you never thought you'd say!

Johnson's on the slide now, though it may be a long slide. No movement before Christmas. Will depend in part on how the winter goes for Omicron, death rates and the NHS. I think any contenders would rather do a summer leadership contest and be out and about in the sunshine. Sunlight uplands mark 2.

The thought of Gove or Hunt as PM is quite revolting.
Sunak I could tolerate watching, but thats a low bar really.
Please
or

OhWhyNot · 08/12/2021 00:36

How many times have we had threads like this it’s wishful thinking

The Tory party did win an 80 seat majority but they did so with a leader that has always been a vote winner. His appeal I can’t quite fathom but he wins voters

Labour need a vote winning leader I think Andy Burnham would do well

Please
or

julieca · 08/12/2021 00:46

No the Corbyn supporters would love Andy, and he would lose the election.

Please
or

dinosaurcookie · 08/12/2021 00:58

I was going to comment but everyone before me has said it all so succinctly. Venal, incompetent and utterly deceitful is spot on @53KeyErro

Please
or

YouGotThisKeepGoing · 08/12/2021 01:01

Increasingly I think it’s all engineered because the Tory Party thinks Sunak is a better electoral bet.

I’m getting fed up with the revolving leadership games they play.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 08/12/2021 01:11

@BlameItOnTheBlackStar

He's not going any time soon. Although I am interested that this Christmas party thing continues to rumble on.

But no. Even if he goes he's shifted the landscape in terms of what's feasible/acceptable behaviour for a PM, so the next person is likely to use that to their advantage.

Yeah, why the fuck is this Xmas party thing rumbling on? Of all the things this disgusting government has done?! It's like when they focused on the Peppa Pig speech...COME ON! We know the bloke is incompetent and an imbecile...why are they going on about this?! I hate the guy, but even I'm like let's move on and talk about serious things ffs
Please
or

Hodl · 08/12/2021 01:12

Is this in regards to the 'christmas party?' I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. There's far more pressing issues that the Govt should be getting a roasting for. FWIW I think Boris is looking for an escape route and I know many people want him gone but, as the old adage says, be careful what you wish for. The new leader could be even worse (eg Gove.)

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 08/12/2021 01:13

It's obviously because they believe the electorate is gullible and thick. Can't really fault them so far

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 08/12/2021 01:13

@Hodl

Is this in regards to the 'christmas party?' I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. There's far more pressing issues that the Govt should be getting a roasting for. FWIW I think Boris is looking for an escape route and I know many people want him gone but, as the old adage says, be careful what you wish for. The new leader could be even worse (eg Gove.)

Yep
Please
or

sarah13xx · 08/12/2021 01:14

Allegra will be away before I’ve finished my cornflakes in the morning. Starting to think Boris will still be Prime Minister in 20 years time though 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please
or

BoudecaBains · 08/12/2021 01:32

Labour are still unelectable so not only is he not going anywhere but he'll win the next election too.

Please
or

chaosmaker · 08/12/2021 01:33

It's irrelevant, we need actual democracy ie not changing boundaries to favour parties, a PR system instead of FPTP and a coalition of the people that actually are in politics for the good of others rather than lining their own pockets.

How anyone has the stupidity to ever vote tory I have no idea. It's not like there's a lack of proof as to how utterly woeful they are and have been for the last decade... I despair at the long term memory loss that appears when people are in a voting booth.

Please
or

HarrisonStickle · 08/12/2021 01:39

Not a chance. Half the voting public are imbeciles and think he's great. The party thing will rumble on then run out of steam. He's pretty untouchable right now.

Please
or

Topseyt · 08/12/2021 01:50

He won't go anywhere. Not anytime soon. He is far too arrogant for that.

When he does go I suspect Sunak and Gove will emerge as the front runners in the ensuing leadership contest. Maybe Hunt too.

Please
or

Monty27 · 08/12/2021 02:02

Happy Xmas everyone. I doubt they can get their shit together as the party people will not be in Westminster working they'll be on leave every pun intended

Please
or

Monty27 · 08/12/2021 02:03

Can't * 🙄

Please
or

madisonbridges · 08/12/2021 02:15

we need actual democracy ie not changing boundaries to favour parties, a PR system instead of FPTP

The boundary commission does a review every 5 years and recommends changes according to the shifts in population. It's not a political body. It's done, with the agreement of politicians on all sides, to make sure some mps done have more than their faur share of constituents which would be detrimental on those constituents.

We voted on PR in 2011 and it was about 70% in favour of keeping FPTP. That was democracy in action.

Please
or

FrenchBulldogsareFab · 08/12/2021 02:32

PM is safe. Just the media doing their usual lame copy. Look at the loony opposition. Sir Keef Starmer and Angela Rayner are clueless.

Please
or

RobertSmithsLipstick · 08/12/2021 02:37

I bet he'll have a hell of a leaving do.

Please
or

pigcon1 · 08/12/2021 03:33

Feb

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.