Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Johnson be gone before Christmas or after?

Sarahlou63 · 07/12/2021 22:38

I'm thinking the 1922 committee grandees will run out of patience fairly soon. So will Johnson stand aside to be a better parent before Christmas or will he continue to drag his party into the shit into 2022?

YABU - hangs on for grim death

YANBU - Who the fuck is Johnson?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Pavlova31 · 08/12/2021 04:30

HMS Pinafore is the title of a comic opera written by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Please
or

wombat1a · 08/12/2021 04:35

No one else really wants the job at the moment do they? Brexit shambles, Covid19 shambles, etc etc

He mad most of this mess he can sort it rather than anyone else wanting to clean up his mess is the thinking,

Please
or

FoggySpecs · 08/12/2021 04:35

He will remain, Starmer is not doing himself any favours. Noone in the Tory party wants the top job in this climate, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't, Boris will survive.

Please
or

Nat6999 · 08/12/2021 05:36

Latest opinion polls have Conservatives & Labour just about level so it could be that whoever can get enough of the smaller parties to work with them to form a government under a hung parliament. Labour, Plaid Cymru, SNP & Greens would be interesting, especially if Keir Starmer allowed an independence vote for Scotland. Boris has plenty waiting to stab him in the back, there has been at least 15 letters of no confidence to the 1922 committee up to now. Ds is a very active member of the Green Party & he thinks that Labour & Greens may make a pact to stand aside in certain seats to be able to win over the Tories ie Labour take seats they are certain to win but stand aside in seats where there is no Labour majority but voters may be persuaded to vote Green.

Please
or

tara66 · 08/12/2021 05:50

I can't stand Raab either or Williamson. It's getting to be a lot like last Christmas.

Please
or

noodlezoodle · 08/12/2021 05:51

I think February as well, to be replaced by Sunak or Hunt. They'll be equally awful but in a completely different way.

Please
or

IncompleteSenten · 08/12/2021 05:52

I think they'll keep him until this shitshow is over then he can keep all the blame for it.

Please
or

GiantHaystacks2021 · 08/12/2021 06:15

Think we'll be stuck with him for at least 10 more years.
He's said himself that he wants to beat Maggie's run.
Everyone keeps voting for the Tories and there's no meaningful opposition, so Boris has it all sewn up.
He can't lose.

Please
or

flashbac · 08/12/2021 06:18

@the80sweregreat

Starmer needs replacing , fast
I've always said this, whilst he is in the opposition the Tories will get away with all of it.

I agree but there's no talent to replace him with. They are all so uninspiring.
Please
or

Thatldo · 08/12/2021 06:26

It is amazing,how long it takes for every dimwit in this country to realise,they voted for a charlatan.you get what you voted for: an incompetent clown who will ruin this country.A lier and a total cunt!

Please
or

TeloMere · 08/12/2021 06:35

He'll be PM for years.

Please
or

GrandmasCat · 08/12/2021 06:44

@3scape

Tory voters will keep voting for him because they think rules aren't for THEM they're for plebs etc, they're just like him.

I disagree, there are far more plebs than rich and middle class people. It is the “plebs” keeping them in power.

I find it fascinating, however, that the most disadvantaged segments if society are happy with them as they are getting Brexit done and getting the foreigners out no matter how much their taxes are increasing or how expensive their food is becoming so I suppose that although they can make sense of “the foreigners are taking our jobs”, they cannot make sense of how the economy works or the damage is being done to them.

On this basis I think we will have Boris for years to come Angry
Please
or

the80sweregreat · 08/12/2021 06:44

I doubt many went to Gavin's party though ..
He had a lot of cheese to get through on his own.

Please
or

OrangeCinnamonCocktail · 08/12/2021 07:06

I don't understand how members are not utterly ashamed that he is their leader.

Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 08/12/2021 07:08

Those gaslighting bastards are Teflon coated. Nothing seems to stick.

Johnson will go when he's ready to, and not before. He will just keep lying and denying everything until there's nowhere else to go and we all give up. I'm sick of the lot of them. My hatred is reserved for Johnson in particular Angry.

I'm old enough to remember the sordid Tory scandals of the 80s and 90s when they resigned swiftly to "spend more time with their family". We could feel better that they had gone (albeit maybe to be replaced by someone equally awful).

Please
or

ByFarByFar · 08/12/2021 07:08

Gove won't be voted for by anyone who works in education and Hunt won't be voted for by anyone who works or cares for the NHS. Sunak will get the top job, I think. OK he's young and maybe not experienced enough, but seems to have a modicum of empathy for the population which seems to be learned rather than experienced which isn't ideal, but he is also too rich to be bribed, one would hope. Anyway this is only relevant if they ever pull their fingers out and have the guts to call a leadership contest.

Let's hope one of them does it soon and gets this shambles of a PM out ASAP.

Labour isn't offering a viable option at all sadly and I think that a general election would just end up giving the lib dems and the Green party a huge boost, which probably isn't such a bad thing.

Please
or

Ikeameatballs · 08/12/2021 07:13

I think Hunt is trying to position himself for the leadership. There have been a few things lately which have made me think this.

Please
or

MiniPumpkin · 08/12/2021 07:25

I can’t believe that he is allowed to be in his position, to lead the country by such a bad example. There have been many incidents, peppa pig for one, where I would have been seriously spoken to at work if I behaved like that. This Christmas party is seriously taking the piss, if I even got points on my licence I need to tell my boss, because we must be well behaved. And I fully support that . How can the prime minister show such disregard for rules ??? What about all the poor families who have lost loved ones/unable to see family due to covid but a cheese and wine party is just fine ? He says the complied with restrictions, well unless the met outside then they did not

Please
or

romatheroamer · 08/12/2021 07:26

Grandma's Cat
I totally agree, you've only to look at studies of the last election to see the core of the Tories' support has changed hugely from what it used to be.
I also think there's an element of "he's such a laugh, previous PMs have been so dull and boring, you can't imagine having a drink with them in the pub. And...er...lots of blokes have had a bit on the side".

So the answer to OP is sadly no.

Please
or

risefromyourgrave · 08/12/2021 07:29

The views of many on this thread are why Boris, and the Tories, will remain in government.
Apparently every single Tory voter is a racist, idiotic pleb, whilst also enjoying a very comfortable life in the Home Counties. I am none of these, but would I fuck vote for any of the other parties at the moment. They are quite happy to throw all women under the bus so that they can look holier than thou. I didn’t vote at the last election, but if I had been made to, I would have held my nose and voted Conservative.

And then you look at the videos of the Labour Party Conference where they’re calling each other ‘comrade’ whilst calling people who don’t agree with them Nazis or fascists. Maybe they should actually learn some history and realise that Stalin and Chairman Mao were each the cause of many more deaths than Hitler, all under the name of communism.

Please
or

DazzlePaintedBattlePants · 08/12/2021 07:36

The Conservative party do understand self-preservation, so the second Bojo starts looking like a liability or believes himself more important than the Party, he’ll be dispatched. Sunak is the only credible contender.

Please
or

ancientgran · 08/12/2021 07:37

Maybe we could all send a letter to Santa?

Please
or

Pixxie7 · 08/12/2021 07:38

All I can say is be careful what you wish for everyone wanted Teresa May to go, well she went and look who we got. All we need is to get Priti Patel then we would end up with a police state, Jeremy Hunt is next to useless.
I am sure there is someone in the Tory party who would make a good PM just struggling with who at the moment.

Please
or

Cam77 · 08/12/2021 07:40

@BoudecaBains
Labour are still unelectable so not only is he not going anywhere but he'll win the next election too

Have you been watching this current corrupt shower of utter incompetents? If they got elected anyone can.

Please
or

VikingVolva · 08/12/2021 07:41

He's immensely popular (and Teflon) to much of the party and electorate.

He's not 'hanging on' - he's the one who got them a huge majority

And of course it doesn't help that there is no alternative. The opposition is still shite, and there are no plausible turncoat within the Tories

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.