Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Johnson be gone before Christmas or after?

Sarahlou63 · 07/12/2021 22:38

I'm thinking the 1922 committee grandees will run out of patience fairly soon. So will Johnson stand aside to be a better parent before Christmas or will he continue to drag his party into the shit into 2022?

YABU - hangs on for grim death

YANBU - Who the fuck is Johnson?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

x2boys · 08/12/2021 08:33

The arrogance of some posters on here 🙄
Carry on calling people thick and stupid and too uneducated to understand how politics works all you ,these attitudes get you no where
Even people in disadvantaged areas are able to watch the news and read the papers ,they can see there is no opposition ,and untill Labour stop squabbling between themselves and whining and whining ,but not actually doing anything things won't change .

Please
or

Ilovecleansheets · 08/12/2021 08:34

The trouble is the way the voting system works. We live in a Tory run borough and it's excellent. By voting to keep our borough Tory then unfortunately it's also a vote towards a Tory PM. What can you do?

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 08/12/2021 08:36

@x2boys

The arrogance of some posters on here 🙄
Carry on calling people thick and stupid and too uneducated to understand how politics works all you ,these attitudes get you no where
Even people in disadvantaged areas are able to watch the news and read the papers ,they can see there is no opposition ,and untill Labour stop squabbling between themselves and whining and whining ,but not actually doing anything things won't change .

There is no opposition, you're not wrong.
People will still vote for the Tories, but the question wasn't that, it was about Johnson, and his personal popularity in the polls has been decidedly wobbly lately.
Please
or

Pinksloth · 08/12/2021 08:37

@Ohsofedupwiththis

Why should he go?

His behaviour in Downing Street is the same as his behaviour has always been

The Tory Party knew him better than most - they voted for him.

The British public knew he was corrupt (hell how could you not) yet they voted him and his cronies in.

This is whay you voted for. This is what you get. Why be angry and upset?

Has it not occurred to you that not ALL of us voted him in? Not all of us voted for the Brexit shitshow either, that he was one of the main drivers for.

We STILL have to live with the consequences of both. Yep, that's democracy, but don't expect us to do it with a smile on our faces and to just say, yeah, screw me harder.
Please
or

Theluggage15 · 08/12/2021 08:40

The real incompetents are the Labour Party, what on earth is the point of them? The best they can do is when they dribble a little way above the government in opinion polls when people are angry about a certain story, as will probably happen with this party thing, they then tend to sink down again into obscurity.

They don’t know what women are so personally I’d never vote for them.

Please
or

Florianus · 08/12/2021 08:46

@sarah13xx

Allegra will be away before I’ve finished my cornflakes in the morning. Starting to think Boris will still be Prime Minister in 20 years time though 🤦🏼‍♀️

Allegra Stratton left Downing Street back in April.
Please
or

EnidFrighten · 08/12/2021 08:48

@madisonbridges

we need actual democracy ie not changing boundaries to favour parties, a PR system instead of FPTP

The boundary commission does a review every 5 years and recommends changes according to the shifts in population. It's not a political body. It's done, with the agreement of politicians on all sides, to make sure some mps done have more than their faur share of constituents which would be detrimental on those constituents.

We voted on PR in 2011 and it was about 70% in favour of keeping FPTP. That was democracy in action.

The referendum was a crappy little squib thrown to the Lib Dems to get them to form the coalition, it had almost no lead up or debate and the vote was on AV, which is only one of the PR systems that could be used.

Personally I think we need a whole constitutional overhaul that scraps or massively trims the Lords, introduces a written constitution and replaces parliamentary conventions with written rules, and brings PR. No modern state has ever established itself with FPTP, it's just that we haven't had a major revolution/reform because we didn't become a dictatorship or get invaded!
Please
or

Ohsofedupwiththis · 08/12/2021 08:49

Has it not occurred to you that not ALL of us voted him in? Not all of us voted for the Brexit shitshow either, that he was one of the main drivers for.

Of course. I am one of them. But millions didn't.

I don't think you can have voted Tory party in 2019 and complain now. Because this is what they voted for.

Do I think he should go? I think anyone with a shred of decency would go. But his lack of morality was a reason for me not voting for him.

And to all those commenting about the opposition. It doesn't need a strong opposition for Boris to be forced out. His party can do that and there will be no election.

If they think it will give them a better chance at the next election then he will be gone. If they think they need him then he will stay. It doesn't really matter to them what he does.

Please
or

Ohsofedupwiththis · 08/12/2021 08:50

*millions did

Please
or

SamhainToImbolc · 08/12/2021 08:50

It's obviously a difficult decision at election time if you know your MP is a good one, despite being a Conservative. Of course you want to vote for them because to vote otherwise is change for sake of change. But, for every good MP, there are the useless and the downright bad ones. Ours does fuck all for his constituency. We never see nor hear him. No idea where he hides out. If we want anything done here it's our local independent Councillor we go to and he gets stuff done.

It doesn't help when people are still calling the PM "Boris". He's not our friend, he's not a mate we see at the pub for a bit of a laugh with. We need to detach ourselves from that blokey "everybody's friend" persona he seems to have acquired.

Please
or

EmKayEm · 08/12/2021 08:51

Shagger gone by March, will probably jim the gig for Dishy on the way out.
Expect Liz Truss to be the next PM.

Please
or

Poetrypatty · 08/12/2021 08:53

I think it'll be the last straw, coming so close to the whole Owen Paterson thing, and the Tories will remove him themselves via the 1922 committee, by the new year. I'd predict the next PM will be Liz Truss

Please
or

Poetrypatty · 08/12/2021 08:53

X post!

Please
or

thinkingaboutLangCleg · 08/12/2021 08:57

Being prime minister was just another of Johnson’s vanity projects. He was shocked when Covid-19 hit and he was actually expected to do some work. Labour is such a shambles I can’t see a good way out of this mess.

Please
or

Poetrypatty · 08/12/2021 08:59

Labour is looking pretty strong with Starmer, Lammy, Cooper, Milliband, Streeting etc. They would be far far better than what we've got now.

Please
or

secondaries · 08/12/2021 09:02

He doesn't want to be remembered for a ballsup so he won't go until something he does works. He was hoping for Brexit, vaccines (until he forgot about then and closed most vaccine sites, reduced others to 2 hours a week, refused to consdier boosters, even for front-line NHS staff treating Covid patients who were 9 months post-dose 2 and several of them died) then Cop26. No Churchill-style successes yet, so he'll hang on until he can gaslight us into believing he was a success, so we can enjoy more death and destruction until then.

Please
or

nzborn · 08/12/2021 09:04

Wine and cheese was fine for them on the day my father-in-law died of covid and we couldn't visit him due to the rules.

Please
or

thinkingaboutLangCleg · 08/12/2021 09:04

The referendum was a crappy little squib thrown to the Lib Dems to get them to form the coalition, it had almost no lead up or debate and the vote was on AV, which is only one of the PR systems that could be used.

Exactly. I would still have preferred AV to the present system, but the Labour Party opposed it so we had no chance.

Please
or

Tulipomania · 08/12/2021 09:04

I live in a rural area which has always had a strong Tory majority. People here would vote for a pig if it wore a blue rosette.

Our backbench MP has stayed loyal to the government - especially through the Owen Paterson affair - but what is interesting is that his dyed in the wool Tory constituents are starting to turn against him and the government.

I have never heard them be so vitriolic about Boris before. And these were people who absolutely loved him when he first came on the scene quoting Ancient Greek and being a general buffoon. Well the magic has certainly worn off now.

Let's hope it lasts until the next election.

Please
or

RedRobyn2021 · 08/12/2021 09:06

Lol he's not going anywhere

Please
or

Poetrypatty · 08/12/2021 09:13

Lol he's not going anywhere

It won't be up to him in the end, look what happened to Thatcher. Once his fun cuddly persona won't win votes any more they'll drop him, they're ruthless.

Please
or

Mrssebastianstan · 08/12/2021 09:16

See what happens after the N Shropshire by-election, if they hold that seat Johnson is absolutely solid. He wins elections, and as long as that is the case, he’s not going anywhere.

Doesn’t matter that he’s a lying, incompetent, unprofessional, unprincipled selfish entitled excuse for a human being. As long as he wins, they’ll keep him. This stuff is just noise.

Please
or

womanity · 08/12/2021 09:18

@Poetrypatty

Labour is looking pretty strong with Starmer, Lammy, Cooper, Milliband, Streeting etc. They would be far far better than what we've got now.

Omg, do you actually believe this? That they look strong? They really, really don’t.
Please
or

DraigFach · 08/12/2021 09:20

I honestly believe at this point in time that Boris could be stood over someone's body with a knife in hand live on camera and still bluster his way out of it and be PM

It's unfathomable why he's teflon coated but the longer this brand of Tory politics is allowed to reign the worse off the average person in Britain will be. And still Labour are as effective as a chocolate teapot in opposition!

Please
or

Poetrypatty · 08/12/2021 09:20

Omg, do you actually believe this? That they look strong? They really, really don’t.

They do to me, so it's just a matter of opinion and perspective.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.