Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Random tragic memory found in my old diary **Content Warning** Title edited by MNHQ

cardiologist349275 · 04/12/2021 15:36

Sorry this isn't an AIBU but I didn't know where to put this. I was going through 20+ years of diaries and came across a story my mum told me before she died.

There was a little girl who went to school with my brother. She had a brain tumour. She was extremely unwell but still went to school every day, and one boy was always bullying her and pushing her over in the playground and she would cut her knees open all the time. The teacher was also a nasty bully (this was the 80s so she got away with it for years) and was very cruel to the girl because she had to wear trousers because she couldn't cope with a skirt, but she found the trouser buttons really hard to do up and the teacher would pick on her about it and not help her. She died on the day of the school play aged five.

My Mum was haunted by it and never forgot that little girl who she said was so, so sweet.

To add to the family's tragedy, their other daughter sadly suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and had to live in sheltered accommodation. One day about ten years ago the mother went to visit her, not knowing the daughter was having an episode and had snuck a knife into the flat. She was stabbed to death.

Though I never knew any of these people, I think of them often. Their tragedy has been lost to time, but I think if I remember them then they won't just be....gone.

Does anyone else have any memories of other people that come back to them in a haunting way?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tabbydancer · 04/12/2021 17:31

When I was a trainee i went on an internship in Ireland. One of the newly recruited very bright women on the team let me stay in her home. She was funny and smart and lovely and quick and messy like me. About a year later she died in a car crash. I think about her.

Please
or

CustardGoodJamGoodMeatGood · 04/12/2021 17:32

I had a friend in primary school who sadly died, she choked one weekend so it was very sudden and unexpected. I'm not sure of the exact date as we were in year 6 but it'll be the anniversary of her death in the next couple of weeks, I still feel for her family having to deal with such a loss so close to Christmas and it's been almost 20 years.

Please
or

MrsBerthaRochester · 04/12/2021 17:32

Two boys in my class age 10 were hit by a bus while on their bikes. One survived and one dief. The boy who died had only moved to our school that year.
A boy in my sons p7 class had leaukemia. He was allowed out of hospital to receive the pupil of the year award. Everyone sobbed as his parent helped him onto the stage. He died a couple of months later. I will never forget him getting that award.

Please
or

popapoppadum · 04/12/2021 17:34

Friends of my parents had 5 children. They lost two of them as teenagers in a freak current on a beach in Wales. One who escaped suffered a massive brain injury less than a year later, possibly due to the shock. He's completely disabled and paralysed now.

I was on the beach up the coast from where it happened the day after and saw the coast guard and choppers out searching. I've been terrified of the sea ever since.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 04/12/2021 17:34

@itsallgoneshitflavoured is that the couple that there is a memorial for on the wall where it happed. Out side the university building? I walked past and saw it. I googled who they were. I always say a prayer for them when I walk past that spot.

Please
or

ArabellaScott · 04/12/2021 17:34

Not ridiculous at all. These things can stay with us for a very long time. Therapy and some form of meditation, with a reputable guide or teacher, can help. I can imagine how hard that must have been, especially for a young child.

Please
or

mnp321 · 04/12/2021 17:35

I met a girl who'd come to the U.K. from Australia for a heart and lung transplant due to CF. We were both teenagers so spent quite some time together while she was waiting to be called up.

She had the transplant, did brilliantly afterwards but sadly died a year or so later. Her and her parents were so positive about uprooting their life to give her that chance.

Please
or

CatkinToadflax · 04/12/2021 17:37

There were two girls in the year below me at school who were driving in London a few days after one of them had passed her test. They were involved in an almighty crash. The girl who was driving was unhurt but her friend was killed instantly. I often think of both of them - of everything the dead girl had taken away from her, and what it must be like for the living girl, who must now be middle-aged, going through life every day knowing why her friend isn’t there anymore.

Please
or

TrickyD · 04/12/2021 17:37

When DSs were about five and six, a little boy called David lived in our road. For some reason he had had a kidney removed.

He wasn’t a particularly pleasant child, but we told DSs that they must be nice to David as he only had one kidney.

Next thing we know, we hear them chanting
“You’ve got one kidney, you’ve got one kidney.’

I don’t think they had a clue what a kidney was.

I am sorry to say that thereafter he was always referred to by us all as David OneKidney so as to differentiate him from various other friends.

Despite this rocky start DSs have grown up to be considerate and kindly men..

Please
or

Twopenny · 04/12/2021 17:37

I was very lucky to have very little contact with death until I was in my twenties. However, I found out recently that a school friend died not long after we left school and lost contact, and in a strange way - a series of events that led to him freezing to death by the side of the road. It's really knocked me for some reason. I suppose because he's one of the few people who wasn't on social media and I'd vaguely wondered what sort of life he'd been living. Turns out he didn't get a chance.

Please
or

IHateCoronavirus · 04/12/2021 17:38

A girl I went to sixth form with died from a brain aneurysm, after blowing up the balloons for her little sister’s 10th birthday. Sad each and every time I blow up balloons I think of her, her poor sister, and her family, with a heavy heart. Love them.
You just never know.

Please
or

ChristmasFluff · 04/12/2021 17:39

My dad was playing cricket at school and a boy was hit in the head by the cricket ball, and knocked unconscious. When he came around, he got changed and carried on with the school day - it being the 1930s.

The boy went home at the end of the day and never came back - he was found dead in his bed. There was no announcement made at school, the children just learned it by rumour eventually.

Dad said it made him feel like life was really fragile and could be taken away from you randomly at any moment. The war didn't really help with that when it came.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 04/12/2021 17:42

As I grew I was able to have a little sympathy for their father and the head space he must have been in to carry out something like that

I have no sympathy for him TULIP. It was a way to carry his control and cruelty to the furthest degree - the way he could think of that would most hurt his wife. Pure ego. Pure narcissism.

What a bastard!

Please
or

Comedycook · 04/12/2021 17:43

@MrsBerthaRochester

Two boys in my class age 10 were hit by a bus while on their bikes. One survived and one dief. The boy who died had only moved to our school that year.
A boy in my sons p7 class had leaukemia. He was allowed out of hospital to receive the pupil of the year award. Everyone sobbed as his parent helped him onto the stage. He died a couple of months later. I will never forget him getting that award.

This has actually made me cry Sad
Please
or

Justheretoaskaquestion91 · 04/12/2021 17:48

@SchadenfreudePersonified

What post is your post referring to? Can’t find

Please
or

DancyNancy · 04/12/2021 17:49

Yes I remember a girl, 12 or 13. She appeared on the news I think, in connection with her needing a heart and lung transplant . I remember she was in a hospital bed with this gorilla teddy and she was holding him and playing moving his arms and legs. I don't know exactly why she was on the news if it was to raise awareness maybe. I was younger, maybe 9 or so.
I remember then it was reported she died and I was so sad. I think it was my first introduction that young people die sometimes too maybe that's why it stayed with me. I still think of her. I remember her name. So many others since that I think of often too

Please
or

TheWitchersWife · 04/12/2021 17:51

My childhood friend.
She was an only child who didn't see her dad and her Mum was single.
It was just the 2 of them and they were very close.
I used to walk to her house before school so we could walk to school together every day. We had sleepovers, missed with our hair and make up.
A few years later she wouldn't answer the door and stopped coming to school.
Months later a teacher took me to the side and told me she'd been hospitalised with anorexia and it was very severe.
I then started visiting her in the hospital with magazines and CDs. I'd see her several times a week and only then once I knew what was going on could I see how gaunt and skeletal she had became.
Then I was told she was in critical condition and I was no longer allowed to visit. She was sent to a treatment facility where at only 13 I couldn't visit her as it wasn't just a walk to the local hospital anymore.
We spoke on Facebook when she could and I still miss her.
She passed away when she was 14.
I think about her often and as an adult now with my own children I can't imagine how her Mum must have felt losing the only person she had in this world and my heart goes out to her.
I knew these people personally but even all these years later I still shed a tear for them.

Please
or

blisstwins · 04/12/2021 17:53

My grandmother told me a story about something she saw when she was in her 20s, so during the 1930s. There was a drunk who used to be in the neighborhood—a harmless guy everyone knew. One day a cop started mocking him and pushing him. The drunk told him to leave him alone and the cop hit him over the head with his baton with all his might. The drunken man’s head split open and he fell to the ground and died. The cop did nothing. It was not in the news. Just nothing.

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 04/12/2021 17:54

@TrickyD

When DSs were about five and six, a little boy called David lived in our road. For some reason he had had a kidney removed.

He wasn’t a particularly pleasant child, but we told DSs that they must be nice to David as he only had one kidney.

Next thing we know, we hear them chanting
“You’ve got one kidney, you’ve got one kidney.’

I don’t think they had a clue what a kidney was.

I am sorry to say that thereafter he was always referred to by us all as David OneKidney so as to differentiate him from various other friends.

Despite this rocky start DSs have grown up to be considerate and kindly men..

Adults giving a child a horrible nickname like that is awful. You should be ashamed.
Please
or

Kanaloa · 04/12/2021 17:54

@ninnynonny

I’m so sorry. What an awful situation and a horrible response from a teacher. I was often told ‘sticks and stones’ as a child but now as an adult I think it’s the opposite.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 04/12/2021 17:56

[quote Justheretoaskaquestion91]@SchadenfreudePersonified

What post is your post referring to? Can’t find[/quote]
Sorry - last post on Page one by NoddingTulip

Parents separated and father killed himself and his two children.

Please
or

hedgehogger1 · 04/12/2021 17:56

I taught a couple of boys and their dad was killed on a roundabout on the dual carriageway near the school when a lorry tipped and landed on his car. I think of them every time I travel past that roundabout

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 04/12/2021 17:59

These stories are so heartbreaking - particularly the ones about neglect and cruelty.

Reading them in the wake of the death of tragic little Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, is particularly poignant.

Please
or

Elderflower14 · 04/12/2021 18:01

Someone who worked for a family members children were killed by their mother.. Parents were separated. Children found dead in bed... 💔

Please
or

Gargellen · 04/12/2021 18:01

I carry a photo in my wallet of an American airman that crashed near to the village I was born in. This was in WW2. He was 18 years old and from New York. He was buried in my village rather than being repatriated for some reason.

I just didn't him to be forgotten.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.