Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Random tragic memory found in my old diary **Content Warning** Title edited by MNHQ

cardiologist349275 · 04/12/2021 15:36

Sorry this isn't an AIBU but I didn't know where to put this. I was going through 20+ years of diaries and came across a story my mum told me before she died.

There was a little girl who went to school with my brother. She had a brain tumour. She was extremely unwell but still went to school every day, and one boy was always bullying her and pushing her over in the playground and she would cut her knees open all the time. The teacher was also a nasty bully (this was the 80s so she got away with it for years) and was very cruel to the girl because she had to wear trousers because she couldn't cope with a skirt, but she found the trouser buttons really hard to do up and the teacher would pick on her about it and not help her. She died on the day of the school play aged five.

My Mum was haunted by it and never forgot that little girl who she said was so, so sweet.

To add to the family's tragedy, their other daughter sadly suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and had to live in sheltered accommodation. One day about ten years ago the mother went to visit her, not knowing the daughter was having an episode and had snuck a knife into the flat. She was stabbed to death.

Though I never knew any of these people, I think of them often. Their tragedy has been lost to time, but I think if I remember them then they won't just be....gone.

Does anyone else have any memories of other people that come back to them in a haunting way?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ToffeeNotCoffee · 05/12/2021 21:36

One school friend died in a motorcycle accident a couple of years after leaving school.

another school friend died of cancer around the same time

Please
or

CassieJumped · 05/12/2021 23:34

We'd just left high school when a girl we knew as killed. She was a girl in my form. Not a friend as such. I was horrendously bullied but a lovely girl who was kind and sweet. Her sisters car was ploughed into and she was killed outright but her sister survived. Weeks later we opened our gcse results and I have heard hers were all A's and A*'s

Please
or

Somethingsnappy · 06/12/2021 12:11

These are so sad.

Please
or

RevolvingPivot · 09/12/2021 23:27

I remember my dad sat reading the local newspaper one night. On the front cover there was a picture of a girl from my class. She was crossing a very busy road to go to the shop and dropped her purse. She was hit by a car and killed. I still wonder how the driver didn't see her. That shocked me for years.

Please
or

Nittersing · 10/12/2021 05:07

Claudia I live in Australia so the murders happened here. I really feel for her children, they deserved a much better childhood than they got. Their mother ruined their chance at a normal life. 😪

Please
or

ClaudiaJ1 · 11/12/2021 07:04

@Nittersing Oh ok, I'm in Australia too, but have never heard of a female serial killer with 6 kids, the most I've seen is a female with 3 kids. But she only killed one person.

Please
or

Saoirse82 · 11/12/2021 07:52

I'm from NI and my school friend was shot dead. This was a few years after the good Friday agreement so we thought we'd left the worst of the troubles behind. He was murdered soley because of his religion in a place where he should have been safe, nobody was ever charged for his murder but that was typical of the majority of murders here during the troubles. Now I'm older and a parent I find it harder to think about as it was so tragic.

Please
or

cptartapp · 11/12/2021 08:09

When I was in sixth form over thirty years ago a group of four very popular lads were driving erratically one night. There were talks of them 'messing about' in the car. It crashed horrifically and killed two of them. I still remember their names, the details in the press and the absolute devastation of their peers. They would have been 50 this year.

Please
or

Thisbastardcomputer · 11/12/2021 08:39

A girl from school who was a bit older than me, the type of girl who has everything, cool parents, lovely house, great clothes etc. She got married to a very desirable man, they had two children. Both children died of the same cancer but 8 years apart. The marriage had broken down after the first child died. I got reacquainted with her after both had died, she made a real effort to get on with life, she talked about it but refused to let the tragedy shape her life.

Please
or

WhenZoomWasJustAnIceLolly · 11/12/2021 09:17

In the town I grew up in there was a house fire in which three children were killed. The mum and one child survived. They had lost a child to cancer too. I was young but remember how awful that was.

Also remember that just after I started secondary school, a girl I’d just met lost her mum to cancer. It was my first encounter with anyone young dying.

A boy in my class took his own life during the Easter holidays. He was 13. This was in the days before it was addressed openly and no adult ever spoke to the class about what happened, his name was just crossed off the register.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.