Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

WTF! Random man comment

KatherineJaneway · 04/12/2021 15:29

Out in a busy, lively restaurant last night catching up with a good friend. Been there about an hour when a random man walks up to our table and says to me directly 'Do you ever smile?'

I was a bit confused in the moment as I had no idea who he was and my friend and I had been talking, so I was like 'excuse me?' I must have moved from what was clearly a resting bitch face to a smile and he was like 'Oh, you do' and he walked off. I mean, why do that?

YABU - he's making conversation
YANBU - you're right, he's an annoying twat

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

KatherineJaneway · 04/12/2021 15:47

@Fatarseflanagan09

One bloke asked me why I was so skinny, I asked him if he’d got as many spots on his dick as he had on his face.

Wish I'd been as fast as you
OP's posts:
Please
or

fedup078 · 04/12/2021 15:48

Oh that old chestnut
Had it many a time
Makes me want to punch them
But just let it go

Please
or

WineAway · 04/12/2021 15:49

You’re not an idiot. He caught you off guard, of course you shouldn’t need a guard.

Don’t give him
Another second of head space.

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 04/12/2021 15:52

What an arse. Some men seem to think that women are there as decoration.

Please
or

Niconacotaco · 04/12/2021 16:00

Bus driver told MIL to "cheer up, it might never happen love" and she (truthfully) told him her husband had just died. He apologised when she got off the bus. I think she told him to fuck off but that might be me embellishing her story. Anyway, I hope he and all the other passengers learned a valuable lesson,
I like the random man reply

Please
or

Iamnotamermaid · 04/12/2021 16:07

YANBU - you're right, he's an annoying twat

Get this sort of thing all the time. If they have the balls to hang around for a response (most 'speak and run') I make sure in my response they are referred to as petal, sweetie, hun. A 'fuck off sweetie' would be all that is required. I will try random little man next though.

Please
or

fabricfanatic · 04/12/2021 16:07

What a pathetic excuse for a man.

YANBU, but at least you don't have to live inside his twisted head. I have a feeling it's not a very nice experience, being the kind of person who thinks that's acceptable behaviour.

Please
or

noirchatsdeux · 04/12/2021 16:08

Even better reply would be "Fuck off with your comment, random man"

Please
or

RestingMurderousFace · 04/12/2021 16:09

@Chesneyhawkes1

I remember a similar thread ages ago when the lady replied "thank you for your comment random man"

Oh that's good. Hope I remember it.
Please
or

ChiefStockingStuffer · 04/12/2021 16:11

Misogynistic twat who thinks women are there to look pretty for him.

Please
or

Icantbelieveitsnotnutter · 04/12/2021 16:12

It sounds like a chat up line for a sleazeball has-been. I bet your toes curled OP?!

Please
or

Honeyroar · 04/12/2021 16:12

Who are you and why do you feel it’s appropriate to say something so rude to someone you don’t know?? Do one!”

Please
or

ginghamstarfish · 04/12/2021 16:14

just watched that video and saw a good comment - use the middle finger of each hand to lift up the corners of your mouth .... almost wish I had the opportunity to try it.

Please
or

FallonCarringtonWannabe · 04/12/2021 16:15

It is absolutely unreasonable of him. It is attacking your personal space. Absolutely entitled behaviour. You only exist to look pretty for men.

Please
or

FallonCarringtonWannabe · 04/12/2021 16:17

Adult Wednesday Addams know how to deal with entitled random men.

Please
or

floatinginmyhomie · 04/12/2021 16:18

I hate when men do this. As a teen I struggled really bad with agoraphobia and rarely left my house, one of the first times I managed to get out again I was waiting for a bus and was really anxious so obviously not smiling. A group of middle aged men walked past me and one shouted “give us a smile love”. I ended up having a panic attack and going home. It was so detrimental to my recovery and it took me months to try and leave the house again.

Please
or

SnackSizeRaisin · 04/12/2021 16:20

My comeback for that kind of random man comment is always:

“Do you always harass women in public?”

This. He's just a stupid bully. Don't let it get to you.

Next time I might be tempted to accidentally tip gravy over his crotch.

Please
or

PonderingTotskeit · 04/12/2021 16:26

Had similar when buying goods in the market, explained I’d just had an awful health diagnosis, so no I wasn’t smiling today, he did have the grace to look embarrassed.

I think I’d have a standard statement ready in case it happens again, I’d definitely think about using the word harassment as well. Be ultra polite too and loud in your reply, make the twat look right stupid in public.

Please
or

Spitspotsput · 04/12/2021 16:27

Those two videos were excellent. Sorry you had to put up with this.

Please
or

Livelovebehappy · 04/12/2021 16:29

Chat up line?

Please
or

Kosmin · 04/12/2021 16:31

@Niconacotaco

Bus driver told MIL to "cheer up, it might never happen love" and she (truthfully) told him her husband had just died. He apologised when she got off the bus. I think she told him to fuck off but that might be me embellishing her story. Anyway, I hope he and all the other passengers learned a valuable lesson,
I like the random man reply

I've had people say "cheer up, it might never happen" to me, and I'm a man! I think calling a women he wasn't intimate/close with "love" makes it inappropriate, but otherwise this isn't necessarily sexist.

I think it can just be one of those things that corny "I'm a bit of a character" people like to say. Another one that springs to mind is saying "don't say I never gave you anything" if they lend you a pen or something similarly insignificant. Or it can be meant in a kindly way, if it's someone you know. It's very odd from someone you don't know. I think a line from the film "The Business" might have been a good retort: "Did someone order a c**t? Cos one just showed up!"
Please
or

ChampagneLassie · 04/12/2021 16:35

@aspirational love it thanks. Im going to try to get some of this in there the next time a random man has some advice!

Please
or

clartins · 04/12/2021 16:38

YANBU Knob!
I’d love him to say that to me and then see his face when I told him that my lack of smile was Parkinson’s disease related hypomimia.

Please
or

pastypirate · 04/12/2021 16:40

A great example of a man forcing an interaction. Ugh

Please
or

prettyteapotsplease · 04/12/2021 16:40

"Are you always this rude or is this a special occasion?"

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.