Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not appreciate vibrators etc playing a part on family dramas!

Chamomileteaplease · 27/11/2021 13:32

Last night I started watching Bump on iplayer. In the first five minutes there is a scene where the mother's vibrator falls on the floor and is seen in all its glory.

I watched the first episode and it seemed like an OK drama, the kind you might watch with your older teens. But why do they have to throw in the vibrator scene? It wasn't needed and is just an embarrassment to the audience. Are they trying to be edgy??

A similar thing with Fleabag - I thought it would be a good series to watch with my older teenage daughter but then I remembered the first episode where she benignly accepts unasked for anal sex. The rest of the series is quite full on I would say, but nothing that bad again, from memory.

AIBU to be pissed off that programmes that might offer good family watching with older teens can be spoiled by unwarranted, in your face sexual scenes? Interested to hear if others agree.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Lillith111 · 28/11/2021 10:46

@Penlee19Dec81SolomonBrowneRNLB

Thank you for the warning, *@Chamomileteaplease*,
I shall never watch either one of these.
YANBU.
The ones who think this is all OK are poor suckers
who are in for a rude awakening.

What’s not ok about vibrators? 😂
Please
or

TheKeatingFive · 28/11/2021 10:51

Fleabag takes on some very taboo stuff, but that's kinda the whole point of it. You just need to research what you're watching more carefully. There's plenty of material out there that will be suitable to your tastes.

Please
or

RhondaZ · 28/11/2021 10:53

I've just watched the vibrator scene Grin . Not shocking at all and I can't believe how many people voted YANBU.

Please
or

RhondaZ · 28/11/2021 10:55

YANBU.

What is this rude awakening?
Please
or

Dozer · 28/11/2021 10:57

Vibrators are ‘vanilla’.

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 28/11/2021 13:24

@Kanaloa

That’s just a part of a medieval fantasy though. And yes there’s a lot of crime shows where women are raped or killed but that’s what interests people and always has - but it’s more of a horror/fantasy morbid entertainment thing which doesn’t relate to real life. It’s like I would go on a roller coaster but don’t want to be in a speeding car on a mountain road - one is a fun imitation of danger and the other is too real.

Just because people would watch GoT with family or a murder mystery with a 15 yo daughter, or the occasional sex scene doesn’t mean they want to hear graphic realistic talk and scenes of dirty vibrators or realistic anal sex. Teens don’t want to watch that with their Mums anyway.

Please
or

ZZTopGuitarSolo · 28/11/2021 14:21

Who are these generic 'teens'?

My oldest will watch anything with me, the more awkward the better.

The other two would be cringing.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 28/11/2021 14:24

@ZZTopGuitarSolo

Who are these generic 'teens'?

My oldest will watch anything with me, the more awkward the better.

The other two would be cringing.

My two never watched a single thing with us with sex or vibrators or anything else.
Please
or

ThinWomansBrain · 28/11/2021 14:30

there's enough films/tv content without every single program being geared to family viewing.
Boris reccomends Peppa Pig.

Please
or

IWouldntHavetoWorkatAll · 28/11/2021 14:40

I think you’re criticising productions as falling short of your own standards for ‘family watching’ when that audience isn’t necessarily the intent of the writers at all. Writers and producers can make what they like, they don’t have to be family viewing.

The two you mention I wouldn’t describe as family viewing. I don’t think they were ever intended to be. Fleabag is great. I really liked Crashing as well, I wish she would do another series of that.

Please
or

schmalex · 28/11/2021 14:58

A vibrator is hardly shocking is it? I had one as a teenager and I'm in my forties!

Please
or

HikingforScenery · 28/11/2021 15:01

I enjoyed bump for the most part but can’t imagine me being watching with teens if I’d any

Please
or

Hertsgirl10 · 28/11/2021 17:45

I really thought this was going to be about your vibrator causing family dramas 😂

Anyway neither program are family dramas and it’s weird as an adult to find a scene with a vibrator embarrassing, in my opinion.

Please
or

Mummadeze · 28/11/2021 17:45

Not the point but I am 47 and my Mum is 76 and we both absolutely loved Bump! I think I would watch it with a 16 or 17 year old. Maybe not younger.

Please
or

Hertsgirl10 · 28/11/2021 17:47

I watched bump with my 18 year old daughter it wasn’t weird at all.

I think the vibrator situation was to show how straight laced the daughter was and how her mum wasn’t, and her dad in the boat partying too. I think they was just showing how different she was and so unlikely to get pregnant but was pregnant.

Please
or

Hertsgirl10 · 28/11/2021 17:51

YANBU.

What rude awakening am I in for? 👀
Please
or

CallmeBadJanet · 28/11/2021 18:11

@Chamomileteaplease What @Chestnutshell said. If you're shocked by a vibe, then maybe you're missing out.

Please
or

exaltedwombat · 28/11/2021 18:37

Sex Education was the same. The opening few minutes of episode 1 contained as much titillating nudity as we were going to get! Whether we read this as getting the warning in early or as 'reel 'em in' is moot.

Great show though, if a bit preachy. Pity about the second series.

Please
or

pollymere · 28/11/2021 18:58

If your teens aren't old enough to watch a show with a vibrator in, definitely don't watch the rest of Bump! I'd be very surprised if anyone over 14 doesn't know what it is anyway (work with kids this age). I think you're maybe being naive about what kids actually know.

Please
or

LittleGwyneth · 28/11/2021 19:17

Not everything is designed for your children.

Please
or

CrackersDontMatter · 28/11/2021 19:19

@beatrixpotterspencil

I dont have kids, but i would be far more comfortable with imagery or details that implied a healthy love of sex, pleasure and our own bodies than mindless fucking violence.

millennia of religious guilt tripping about sexual pleasure really did a number on us, even now in times where religion doesnt have a hold, the echo lives on.

I have no idea why, as a culture, we are so odd about the concept of - women especially - experiencing pleasure with their own bodies.

This is entirely different to decades of tv and film which only represented female sexuality as the plaything of men or for cheap thrills. A woman having autonomy over her own body is quite terrifying isnt it? Lock up your daughters, ladies!

Well said.

Christ I owned a vibrator as an older teen.
Please
or

Whatamess582 · 28/11/2021 19:20

I watched queer as folk when I was a late teen…. But I wouldn’t have watched it with my mum!
Anal sex in fleabag… sure. That’s not ideal family viewing. But I don’t think the series is really aiming for your average 2.4 children family as their target market.
But what on Earth is wrong with a vibrator scene. Your daughter knows about vibrators, I can guarantee it. What is there to be ashamed about and perhaps it would be a funny moment or a starter for a conversation between you and your daughter about healthy normal sexual activity….

Please
or

Vynalbob · 28/11/2021 19:47

Completely agree but for different reasons... I feel like directors/producers feel they can't make 2 episodes in a serial drama without sticking a near knuckle sex scene which more often than not doesn't help the story just nicks time from it (especially slomo).

As for using this type of thing as an excuse to converse with a teen.... no quickest way to get them to leave the room.... TV one thing sex talks something different.

Please
or

Lillith111 · 28/11/2021 19:54

I got a vibrator at 17 and it was wayyyy more healthy than most of the sex occurring at my school

Please
or

csigeek · 28/11/2021 20:16

Some peoples sex lives are clearly very vanilla

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.