Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not appreciate vibrators etc playing a part on family dramas!

Chamomileteaplease · 27/11/2021 13:32

Last night I started watching Bump on iplayer. In the first five minutes there is a scene where the mother's vibrator falls on the floor and is seen in all its glory.

I watched the first episode and it seemed like an OK drama, the kind you might watch with your older teens. But why do they have to throw in the vibrator scene? It wasn't needed and is just an embarrassment to the audience. Are they trying to be edgy??

A similar thing with Fleabag - I thought it would be a good series to watch with my older teenage daughter but then I remembered the first episode where she benignly accepts unasked for anal sex. The rest of the series is quite full on I would say, but nothing that bad again, from memory.

AIBU to be pissed off that programmes that might offer good family watching with older teens can be spoiled by unwarranted, in your face sexual scenes? Interested to hear if others agree.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

SleepingStandingUp · 27/11/2021 14:17

I don't know, I was just trying to think of a scenario where it comes up, wouldn't surprise me

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 27/11/2021 14:19

How can you be OK with the sex scENESin GOT but have a tizzy over a vibrator on the floor??

Please
or

TeaAndStrumpets · 27/11/2021 14:20

@Dahlietta

In a way I felt she was sorting the viewers out into those who would stick with the programme and those who would switch off.
This is quite possible. I didn’t make it past the first couple of minutes 🤣

Too right!
Please
or

Tal45 · 27/11/2021 14:22

@Dahlietta

In a way I felt she was sorting the viewers out into those who would stick with the programme and those who would switch off.
This is quite possible. I didn’t make it past the first couple of minutes 🤣

I was similar, I couldn't find anything likeable about her and couldn't warm to it. It seemed to only be about the sex life of someone dislikeable and miserable.
Please
or

PoleFairy · 27/11/2021 14:22

A vibrator is hardly shocking. In fact a lot of Instagram influencers whose target audience is late teens to early 20s are sponsored by sex toys now so they will see them online if not on tv

Please
or

BarefootHippieChick · 27/11/2021 14:22

I don't know if 16 year olds all have vibrators, but even my 14 year old knows what one is. Not much escapes them on the secondary school yard these days.

Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 27/11/2021 14:23

@Bagelsandbrie

You probably won’t want to watch Sex Education on Netflix then… which is a shame because it’s absolutely superb and perfect as a conversation starter with older teens 16/17 plus. (Although dd and I watched it separately and then chatted about it later - she’s 18).

Agree! Absolutely love Sex Education!
Please
or

Fizzgigg · 27/11/2021 14:23

@SleepingStandingUp

How can you be OK with the sex scENESin GOT but have a tizzy over a vibrator on the floor??

This.

I'd much rather teens see a fairly standard sex toy like a vibrator than almost anything that goes on in GOT. All the prostitutes being murdered, rape in season one and absolutely brutal rape and abuse being mentioned and alluded to throughout
Please
or

TatianaBis · 27/11/2021 14:24

@SleepingStandingUp

IKR. Rape is fine but a vibratory is not? Ok.
Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 27/11/2021 14:24

Everybody raved about the sex scenes in Normal People and said it was a must watch for teenagers (re consent etc) but I wouldn't have wanted to watch those scenes with my teenagers particularly.

Please
or

Nomorepies · 27/11/2021 14:25

Erm I'm not sure Fleabag has ever marketed itself as a family drama. It's anything but so YABVU there!

Please
or

awaynboilyurheid · 27/11/2021 14:25

Totally agree! Some of these scenes seems gratuitous at times, it’s like they think, must put this edgy scene in! really odd guessing male directors.

Please
or

WithANameLikeDaniCalifornia · 27/11/2021 14:25

So all the sex and rape in GOT didn’t raise your eyebrows as much as a vibrator falling on the floor.

Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 27/11/2021 14:29

@SleepingStandingUp

That’s what I’m thinking.

I turned GOT off because of the amount of needless nudity. From memory, there was a woman giving oral sex to another woman in the first episode. It wasn’t relevant to the story so I started to lose interest. It didn’t make me uncomfortable and part of me thinks I should give it another go because so many people rave about it.

A vibrator falling to the floor is nothing like some of the scenes in GOT.
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 27/11/2021 14:38

Haven’t seen bump but Fleabag is not a family drama!

Yep school girls have vibrators these days. Sex toys now much more in the mainstream (Google it) so you are behind the times there (and I’d suggest you get yourself one 😁).

Some people don’t like sex scenes and find them embarrassing, but I don’t understand how you are ok with the sex and sexual violence of GOT but not with vibrators?!?! Did you have a traumatic encounter with a vibrator at some point??? Grin

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 27/11/2021 14:40

While I agree both these shows suck neither is advertised as family viewing so If say you are being unreasonable.

Please
or

ThePoisonousMushroom · 27/11/2021 14:41

Fleabag isn’t a family drama and isn’t marketed as such. It’s an adult comedy drama.
Haven’t seen the others so can’t comment there.

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 27/11/2021 14:43

I don’t get what people liked about Fleabag. Kept hearing all these reviews about how wonderful it was then I took a look at it was boring as shit. Maybe the kind of thing that appeals to critics.

Please
or

RhondaZ · 27/11/2021 14:46

It's only a vibrator. If I was watching with older kids we wouldn't really beat an eyelid.

I agree Sex Education is really good.

I've not seen Bump yet but I enjoyed Fleanag too.

Please
or

RhondaZ · 27/11/2021 14:46

Bat an eyelid

Please
or

Atlas2021 · 27/11/2021 14:46

My 16yr old actually has a baby and its when I read threads like this that I feel partly pity for parents naiveity and also a bit jealous that I am so past that point of being concerned about a vibrator on a BBC TV show.

Please
or

VienneseWhirligig · 27/11/2021 14:50

I watched Bump with my mother - she was binge watching whilst ironing while I was visiting. There is a lot of sex in it, not under covers. She's nearly 70 and wasn't embarrassed, she really enjoyed the series, which I hadn't heard about. DS watched half an episode then went to help his grandad in the shed 😂

Please
or

Hadjab · 27/11/2021 14:51

@Chestnutshell

What’s shocking about a vibrator?

I was thinking the same thing 🤣
Please
or

beatrixpotterspencil · 27/11/2021 14:53

I dont have kids, but i would be far more comfortable with imagery or details that implied a healthy love of sex, pleasure and our own bodies than mindless fucking violence.

millennia of religious guilt tripping about sexual pleasure really did a number on us, even now in times where religion doesnt have a hold, the echo lives on.

I have no idea why, as a culture, we are so odd about the concept of - women especially - experiencing pleasure with their own bodies.

This is entirely different to decades of tv and film which only represented female sexuality as the plaything of men or for cheap thrills. A woman having autonomy over her own body is quite terrifying isnt it? Lock up your daughters, ladies!

Please
or

ChateauxNeufDePoop · 27/11/2021 14:54

[quote Chamomileteaplease]@SleepingStandingUp do schoolgirls have vibrators these days?! Am I behind the times?

I think I would be ok with a conversation with my 16 year old about anything but maybe not watching explicit stuff on a screen.

But you all have a point about being more aware of what I suggest to watch when we are together.

I watched Game of Thrones with my other child when she was 16 and that produced some good discussion. But there were no vibrators in that programme so it was ok Grin.[/quote]
That's got to be a fucking wind up. Castration, incest, rape, forced marriage, violence towards prostitutes but it's ok cos there's no vibrators?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.