Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not appreciate vibrators etc playing a part on family dramas!

Chamomileteaplease · 27/11/2021 13:32

Last night I started watching Bump on iplayer. In the first five minutes there is a scene where the mother's vibrator falls on the floor and is seen in all its glory.

I watched the first episode and it seemed like an OK drama, the kind you might watch with your older teens. But why do they have to throw in the vibrator scene? It wasn't needed and is just an embarrassment to the audience. Are they trying to be edgy??

A similar thing with Fleabag - I thought it would be a good series to watch with my older teenage daughter but then I remembered the first episode where she benignly accepts unasked for anal sex. The rest of the series is quite full on I would say, but nothing that bad again, from memory.

AIBU to be pissed off that programmes that might offer good family watching with older teens can be spoiled by unwarranted, in your face sexual scenes? Interested to hear if others agree.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

WalkingOnTheCracks · 05/02/2022 21:02

AIBU to be pissed off that programmes that might offer good family watching with older teens can be spoiled by unwarranted, in your face sexual scenes?

So you'd like them to have written something quite like that, but not that, so that you aren't embarrassed watching it with your kids?

Me, I reckon that someone should have told Shakespeare that all the death and stuff was really making it unsuitable for nine-year-olds. I mean, did he really have to put all those murders in? Lazy writing is what I call it.

Please
or

Hawkins001 · 03/02/2022 23:57

It is a pickle with some shows, similar when they used the toothbrush as a vibrator in the show sugar rush.

Please
or

Kiwirose · 29/11/2021 22:06

How could you possibly watch Game of Thrones and consider this acceptable when it contains violence, bullying, torture, incest etc and not thing Bump is suitable where they use vibrators (which are considered fairly mainstream now) and teenage pregnancy? I think you might need to have a chat with yourself about your values.

Please
or

Bangolads · 29/11/2021 20:36

Flea bag isn’t a family drama?!! I haven’t watched bump so can’t comment but wouldn’t have had an issue with seeing a vibrator on the telly with my teens but I think it depends on age and how open and relaxed you are with them.

Please
or

StarlightLady · 29/11/2021 19:16

@JanLevinsonGould - l had one long before that and very happy it made me too.

You can’t change TV series to cater for every whim. Neither can you consider either show as family drama. They do not pretend to be. TVs not only have an on/off button, they have a selection of channels too.

Please
or

LittleGwyneth · 29/11/2021 16:51

I cannot believe how many people thing that adult television should be censored so that they can watch it with their children.

Please
or

JanLevinsonGould · 29/11/2021 16:42

I had a vibrator at 16 Grin so I don't see how seeing one on the telly at that age is unsuitable. You can move out and be married at 16, so I would hope you were also mature enough to know about masturbation.

I don't think it's for the writers to take your sensibilities into account when they are writing a show within the confines of their own vision and are being clear about who it is aimed at. Im sure if we asked the writer they would explain the necessity of the scene, bit that they should have to. Surely it's for them to break taboos?

Please
or

RhondaZ · 29/11/2021 15:06

When is the —prude— rude awakening happening? I need to know if I should cancel things I’ve got booked next month.

Grin I'm really intrigued.

Please
or

ButtonSister · 29/11/2021 14:40

There are some dramas that are enjoyed by older teens and their parents, but definitely shouldn't be watched by both generations together.

Please
or

Mirw · 29/11/2021 14:38

Game of Thrones had all sorts of sex, pain and torture!! Not suitable for a 16 year old!! A vibrator is nothing these days. Have you missed the Tango advert?
I remember my mother trying to explain what the wee gold tube in her handbag was to my 3 brothers 45 years ago!! It was hilarious!!! Grin

Please
or

SusieBob · 29/11/2021 14:20

@Londoncallingme

I agree, so much I’d like to watch with teens but spoiled by one sex scene.
I also wish Titanic didn’t have the nudity in it because otherwise my 11yr old would love it.

See, this is where I find people's attitudes towards things weird.

Watching people freeze to death, shoot each other etc is fine, but a glimpse at someone's boobies is not fine?
Please
or

WithANameLikeDaniCalifornia · 29/11/2021 14:03

@Penlee19Dec81SolomonBrowneRNLB

Thank you for the warning, *@Chamomileteaplease*,
I shall never watch either one of these.
YANBU.
The ones who think this is all OK are poor suckers
who are in for a rude awakening.

When is the —prude— rude awakening happening? I need to know if I should cancel things I’ve got booked next month.
Please
or

ThrobbingToothacheOfTheMind · 29/11/2021 13:55

[quote TarasCrazyTiara]@Feelingoktoday

I doubt boys think hunting hookers with crossbows is ok just because they saw it on Game of Thrones. Don’t think they believe in Dragons now either.

Let’s calm down, somethings in that show are obviously not condoned as right and are done by evil characters. It’s an extremely unrealistic adult fantasy show and everyone knows it.[/quote]
Let’s calm down says the one using dramatic and emotive language.

Please
or

MammaMacgill87 · 29/11/2021 10:27

They aren't family dramas, so you are being a tad unreasonable. However at 16 I don't see why you couldn't watch them together. They will be well aware of a content that gets brought up and if nothing else it's opens the door to honest conversation between you and your teen about relationships consent blah blah blah. It's feels like you are being precious here. At 17 I'd left home had a job and several vibrators 😂 Even now I could casually watch a series like this with one of my parents because we've always been open about all topics and have the same sense of humour etc, if you simply aren't comfortable or it's YOU that would be embarrassed then just don't watch

Please
or

Kanaloa · 29/11/2021 09:57

[quote TarasCrazyTiara]@Kanaloa

I didn’t say it was wrong or inappropriate for a teen to watch either. It’s got nothing to do with morality, I’m fine with a 15 yo girl seeing both.

What I said was most teens and parents don’t want to watch gross out realistic sex with each other as it’s just weird for both.[/quote]
So then surely game of thrones is just the same, if not worse because the sex is more graphic?

Again, my issue isn’t the sex. It’s your weird insistence that game of thrones is somehow top notch parent and teen viewing while a vibrator is ‘dirty.’ So a teen can’t possibly watch a vibrator fall onto the floor with her mum but Theon’s full cock is a-ok. It’s a weird stand to take on it.

Please
or

youkiddingme · 29/11/2021 09:41

I agree asofanearyou that sex and the associated emotions can be an important part of the story, and as such that's fine. I haven't seen these two shows, my comment was more a general observation.

I do feel that the amount of sex shown generally, is disproportionate to the weight it carries in many scripts. And anyone who makes a remark about it being used gratuitously is labelled a prude - by some people.
There is a lot of emotion tied up with the sharing of food for example, with the way people interact about all manner of everyday things that tells us much about character and relationships, often these small nuances can tell us more than a sex scene.

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 29/11/2021 09:14

@aSofaNearYou

Seeing someone vibrator has emotional value?Hmm

Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 29/11/2021 09:00

@youkiddingme

Why does not wanting to watch stuff about sex for the sake of it make anyone a prude?

If the story warrants it, fine. But if it isn't adding anything significant to the theme then why is it there? Having a shit isn't disgusting. Yet we don't see that gratuitously stuck in every script. Flossing teeth is a normal part of life, or sticking cream up your arse if you have piles. Where are the writers queuing up to shove these things in our faces?

We all know our parents shagged, at least once. Doesn't mean we want a ring-side seat.

If it's not an integral part of the plot, why is it there? Whatever it is.

Having sex often has more emotive value and usually conveys more to the audience about the central couple than having a shit or flossing, though. I get what you're saying about "if it isn't adding anything significant to the theme", but I do think sex scenes generally do add something, certainly the examples on here do!
Please
or

youkiddingme · 29/11/2021 08:18

Why does not wanting to watch stuff about sex for the sake of it make anyone a prude?

If the story warrants it, fine. But if it isn't adding anything significant to the theme then why is it there? Having a shit isn't disgusting. Yet we don't see that gratuitously stuck in every script. Flossing teeth is a normal part of life, or sticking cream up your arse if you have piles. Where are the writers queuing up to shove these things in our faces?

We all know our parents shagged, at least once. Doesn't mean we want a ring-side seat.

If it's not an integral part of the plot, why is it there? Whatever it is.

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 29/11/2021 08:10

@Kanaloa

I didn’t say it was wrong or inappropriate for a teen to watch either. It’s got nothing to do with morality, I’m fine with a 15 yo girl seeing both.

What I said was most teens and parents don’t want to watch gross out realistic sex with each other as it’s just weird for both.

Please
or

Kanaloa · 29/11/2021 08:02

[quote TarasCrazyTiara]@Feelingoktoday

I doubt boys think hunting hookers with crossbows is ok just because they saw it on Game of Thrones. Don’t think they believe in Dragons now either.

Let’s calm down, somethings in that show are obviously not condoned as right and are done by evil characters. It’s an extremely unrealistic adult fantasy show and everyone knows it.[/quote]
Then surely it’s equally fine for someone to see a character on another programme have anal sex/use a vibrator?

My issue isn’t with the sex scenes in game of thrones, it’s the bizarre standpoint you’ve taken that somehow it’s morally superior to seeing a vibrator on screen because it’s a fantasy genre show.

If you feel sex is inappropriate for your child to view then don’t watch sexual content with them - but to somehow insist game of thrones is fine but a woman with a vibrator is gross and inappropriate is a weird view to hold.

Please
or

LadyOfLittleLeisure · 29/11/2021 07:27

*"How can you be OK with the sex scENESin GOT but have a tizzy over a vibrator on the floor??"

IKR. Rape is fine but a vibratory is not? Ok."

Yeah, agree with this

Please
or

StarlightLady · 29/11/2021 07:18

@PilesEdgeworth - a very good point. And larger Boots stores as well as supermarkets sell them in the UK too; they are supposed to outsell washing machines.

I would have thought Sex and The City was a significant example of vibies having an outing on mainstream TV.

Please
or

TarasCrazyTiara · 29/11/2021 04:19

@Feelingoktoday

Let’s calm down, somethings in that show are obviously not condoned as right and are done by evil characters. It’s an extremely unrealistic adult fantasy show and everyone knows it.

Please
or

PilesEdgeworth · 29/11/2021 02:39

I'm in Canada and our major high street pharmacy (Boots equivalent) usually has a fine display of vibrators at the customer service booth. Wouldn't bat an eyelid upon seeing one on an adult TV show.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.