Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

London Independence

200 replies

LearningEveryDay19 · 14/12/2019 22:03

The majority of London voted Labour - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=election2019

The majority of London voted Remain - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/brexit.html

AIBU in suggesting that London should have a referendum on whether to become an independent city state, in order to remain in the EU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

618 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
71%
You are NOT being unreasonable
29%
StarbucksSmarterSister · 15/12/2019 01:31

Are there really other parts of the UK where e.g. 3 bed semis cost more than they do in London?

In Cambridge they could cost more than in cheaper parts of London and I guess Sandbanks.

Nowhere else. London property prices are absurd.

StarbucksSmarterSister · 15/12/2019 01:32

Loving the idea that London is subsidised by the rest of the UK. GrinGrinGrin

CharlottesPleb · 15/12/2019 01:36

I would be in support of this if we could build a stonking great fence around it with border controls and adopt somewhere nicer for a capital.

CharlottesPleb · 15/12/2019 01:37

Perhaps Coventry?

Or to continue the Gingerstan idea, Edinburgh. I do like Edinburgh

sobeyondthehills · 15/12/2019 01:38

Only if I declare my constituency as independent away from me, as they voted the complete opposite of me everytime.

Or my flat has independent, I will require your passport to be able to come for tea

sobeyondthehills · 15/12/2019 01:38

*as

Chloemol · 15/12/2019 01:41

😂😂😂😂😂😂

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 01:44

Perhaps Coventry?

WTF?

Liverpool, absolutely. Edinburgh, great. Belfast, hell yes. But Coventry? Hard no.

Painedpleasure · 15/12/2019 01:57

We should see if Boris can ask his mate, Don, if there is any of that fencing going spare.

Lexplorer · 15/12/2019 10:44

Oh yes Sandbanks! V.expensive. Wonder what sort of people live there....

SimonJT · 15/12/2019 10:48

Some scary lack of knowledge on here, do some people genuinely believe the rest of the UK subsidises London? What other bonkers things do they believe?!

ForalltheSaints · 15/12/2019 11:09

London had 8 years of being run by Mr Johnson- at least the country might get away with only 6.

Halleli · 15/12/2019 12:30

@TrainspottingWelsh

You do realise that only three regions in the UK are net contributors to the economy?

London - by a substantial amount.
The South East of England - by quite a significant amount.
The East of England - by a tiny amount.

And bear in mind that the main reason those last two regions have a surplus is because of people who commute to London for work but are recorded for income tax purposes where they live...

Without London, the rest of the UK would be impoverished.

www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/23/uk-budget-deficit-grows-to-more-than-10bn-as-people-spend-less

iVampire · 15/12/2019 12:33

I preferred the plot of Passport to Pimlico

Halleli · 15/12/2019 12:33

@Riv

Awkward...

Halleli · 15/12/2019 12:33

London subsidises the rest of the UK, not the other way round.

London Independence
Lifecraft · 15/12/2019 13:06

Forget Brexit and leaving the EU, let's hear it for Lond-In.

I'm shocked that some people think London sucks money out of the UK economy. Ffs, it's the exact opposite. London is the host, and the rest of the UK's regions are the bloodsucking leeches that sponge off it.

Confusedbeetle · 15/12/2019 13:07

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Pipstelle · 15/12/2019 13:11

It's laughable that quite a few Brits don't understand without London there is no economy. London and the southeast pay for everyyyyytthing else.

Doobigetta · 15/12/2019 13:11

Several other big cities voted Remain.

But more importantly you might want to consider that if the wealth and opportunity swilling around in London had been more evenly distributed around the whole country, it’s likely that more people would have seen the benefits of remaining and we might not be where we are now. So not so much as case of the rest of the country ruining things for London, as London ruining it for everyone.

Doobigetta · 15/12/2019 13:13

And I don’t mean “distributing wealth and opportunity” as in subsidising, I mean as in not concentrating so much of the economy in such a small area.

Lifecraft · 15/12/2019 13:13

If Scotland can have a vote on independence, why not London. London has nearly twice as many people as Scotland, and in terms of Scottish population, London is Scotland's 3rd largest city, after Glasgow & Edinburgh. There are more scots in London than in Perth, Inverness, Stirling, Dundee, Aberdeen etc.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

crispysausagerolls · 15/12/2019 13:18

I live just outside London, and I lived in Chelsea for years. It’s actually very sad that people who SAY they want to help those less fortunate And that’s why they vote labour blah blah actually have no understanding of the people they are supposedly trying to help.

The best thing you could have done was to get behind an appropriate candidate. Someone from a mining town isn’t going to want to vote for fucking Jeremy Corbyn in his expensive house in Islington who spends his time securing the student vote and waffling on with political rhetoric from the 70s.

Labour isolated key voters who were driven to vote Tory against their best wishes. The Brexit thing too - accusing them of being ignorant and uneducated - one minute the working class are ignorant and uneducated, the next you want to help?

This bizarre London independence shit is more of the same. London must be so much better than the rest of the country; so ENLIGHTENED to have voted for remain and labour. You aren’t wrong - everyone else must be! Right?

Fucking twat.

ChaiNashta · 15/12/2019 13:22

YANBU Wink

MistyCloud · 15/12/2019 13:23

LOL.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.