Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

London Independence

200 replies

LearningEveryDay19 · 14/12/2019 22:03

The majority of London voted Labour - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=election2019

The majority of London voted Remain - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/brexit.html

AIBU in suggesting that London should have a referendum on whether to become an independent city state, in order to remain in the EU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

618 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
71%
You are NOT being unreasonable
29%
Instagrrr · 15/12/2019 13:32
Grin
tttigress · 15/12/2019 13:35

Very smug post

micromoomin · 15/12/2019 13:42

What @crispysausagerolls said.

I also live in Chelsea (god I'm a twat) and see a lot of the "Enlightened Londoner" roaming the streets.

Earlgreybee · 15/12/2019 13:42

I divide my time between london and Northern Ireland (one extreme to the other) and I am just Shock GrinGrinGrin at the self righteous poster going ‘I’m just so sick of all of the rest of us subsidising London’

Grin It has totally made my day. How can you not know that London pays the most for EVERYTHING???

Like the left wing people (and I am def a labour voters) who go ‘well if those high earners don’t like it, they can piss off back to their own country, don’t let the door hit you etc’

Don’t you get that taxes equalling up to 40% of their high earnings PAYS FOR ALL THE STUFF??

MidnightCircus · 15/12/2019 13:46

Did you have a good night drinking OP? I mean, you were drinking right?
As a side note, how would kick Westminster out of London? That's not Labour

justcly · 15/12/2019 13:51

@Earlgreybee:

London puts the most in the UK's coffers; London takes the most out. Let's even up that investment, shall we, then we can start talking about who subsidises whom?

ThanksForAllTheFish · 15/12/2019 13:57

Well it’s a city not a country so no.

Scotland and Wales are countries in their own right so technically they could go for independence from the rest of the U.K. I suppose England could too if it really wanted but we all know that won’t happen. I wouldn’t include NI in this as that’s already a far too complex issue and can’t be simplified the same way because of the ties to Ireland and the troubles in the not to distant past.

For talking sakes though, if london did become independent from the U.K. there is a chance that many of the larger businesses would relocate to keep their headquarters in the U.K. then you would be told you couldn’t use the pound and would need to get your own currency. You would be told you need your own army and defence budget etc.
Basically everything scotland got told in the run up to the 2014 inde ref. As a small city (in the scale of all the other countries in the world) I don’t see it being feasible. An entire country going independent is quite different from a city. Not entirely impossible but very, very unrealistic.

nowayhose · 15/12/2019 14:00

It doesn't make any difference what Londoners voted for any more than it matters what Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland voted for :(

Just read 2 different posts this morning,

1st complained that they thought Jan 2nd should be a bank holiday in the UK

2nd mentioned that Scotland couldn't be independent because ' they would have to change to the euro' because Bank of England wouldn't print any bank notes for Scotland' LOL LOL, almost choked on my cornflakes ! THEY WERE BOTH SERIOUS !!

The total ignorance of some people honestly has to be laughed at !

nowayhose · 15/12/2019 14:02

LOL, just read the post above mine, ermmmm, what do you think the Vatican is ??

Here's a little info for you ;

Vatican City is the smallest country in the world.
Encircled by a 2-mile border with Italy, Vatican City is an independent city-state that covers just over 100 acres, making it one-eighth the size of New York's Central Park. Vatican City is governed as an absolute monarchy with the pope at its head.

ThanksForAllTheFish · 15/12/2019 14:13

nowayhose Yes but the Vatican City is a whole different ball game to London. It has a lot of wealth behind it. It’s not really the sort of place that attract business and office workers. I doesn't have a huge population and is very much a wealth by religion and not business type of place. You can’t really make the comparison.
Also I didn't say it wasn’t impossible and it has never happened. Just not realistic.

rhubarbcrumbles · 15/12/2019 14:15

London? Loud, over crowded, noisy, messy and full of tourists London? Yep, go for it...good riddance! Xmas Grin

Parkermumma07 · 15/12/2019 14:16

Please do

ThanksForAllTheFish · 15/12/2019 14:22

Also thanks very much for your patronising facts about how small the Vatican City is. I’m already well aware of this. We are talking about London which is just a capital city and like most capital cities it’s where most of the wealth is generated and spent. If it left the Uk then somewhere else would become the capital and all the business and money would go there.

I say this as someone who is pro remain, for scottish independence and would never in a million years vote tory. I do actually quite like Jeremy Corbyn but find some of his polices a bit unrealistic. If I lived I. England I would have voted labour. As it is I live in Scotland and voted SNP. Mainly based on the long term and the best shot of independence in the future. If I was to go purely on which party I think is the best fit for my beliefs then I would vote for the Greens. As it is I do a strategic vote based on what I think is the best thing for now.

CatGirl2018 · 15/12/2019 14:36

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NameChangeNugget · 15/12/2019 14:39

Did you get your own way a lot, when you were a child? Biscuit

libdumps · 15/12/2019 14:39

YABVVU!

libdumps · 15/12/2019 14:45

Londoners generally voted Remain/Labour because they love cheap EU labour to work as their nannies/serve them coffee in Pret and fill rooms in their numerous BTL properties.

They also don't have to worry about their wages being undercut, many being in finance or professional careers and love seeing their houses skyrocket in value due to more demand etc.

In my experience, if you dig a bit, you'll find they are just as selfish and self-interested as they accuse Leavers/Tory voters of being.

user1480880826 · 15/12/2019 14:49

The people who say the rest of the country subsidises London - I would love to see your evidence.

user1480880826 · 15/12/2019 14:54

@ThanksForAllTheFish of course businesses wouldn’t leave London if it became independent. The whole point of this (stupid) debate is that an independent London could remain inside the EU. The whole reason we are currently haemorrhaging businesses is because we are about to leave the EU. London would be able to continue prospering and trading if it was an independent state. The rest of the country, however, would be absolutely screwed.

ShirleyPhallus · 15/12/2019 14:57

I love all the anti-Londoners posting about the rest of the UK missing out on all the amazing things about London and then accusing it of being a selfish shithole

Right, but a selfish shithole you want in on

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 15:00

Londoners generally voted Remain/Labour because they love cheap EU labour to work as their nannies/serve them coffee in Pret and fill rooms in their numerous BTL properties.

Not all of London is Knightsbridge you know. Londoners aren't all swanning around fanning themselves with fivers. London is multicultural, London has massive poverty. London I'm assuming has the biggest number of homeless people. I don't know anyone with a nanny in London. Or with a BTL property for that matter. The people I know are nurses, social workers etc.

AgeLikeWine · 15/12/2019 15:05

Independence for London isn’t the worst idea.

If the last three years in politics have shown us anything, it is that there are effectively five distinct countries in the U.K, not four. Scotland, Wales, England, Northern Ireland and London.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 15/12/2019 15:12

Are you one the Londoners that say 'im having a weekend away in the countryside' without stating where, because everywhere outside of London is inconsequential?

I lived in London for 3 years and hated it. You can have it if you want it.

Gronky · 15/12/2019 15:13

It would be an interesting experiment. The vast majority of wealth generation in London comes from financial services, those would suffer with an interruption of their connection to the rest of the UK before facing stiff competition as institutions set up shop elsewhere within Britain (the big one being the Bank of England).

The most interesting challenge I could forsee for the future overlords of London would be keeping trade alive while preventing financial flight, as well as brain a brain drain. It seems like the only way to achieve it would be a Soviet-style system of internal passports (and walls with death zones) where, even when individuals are allowed to leave, their families are kept hostage to ensure their return and a dual currency system similar to what Cuba employs, to permit large scale financial transactions while ensuring individual earnings aren't traded away elsewhere (either for goods that are hard to come by or for safe passage out of London).

Infrastructure would also be challenging, I wonder if the Underground and Crossrail could be adapted to keep Britain's rail system in tact (with trains not stopping, as they did in East Berlin) or if a railway along the route of the M25 would be required. On the Democratic People's Republic of London front, the Thames would require extensive alteration to accommodate Panamax ships and Britain would have enormous leverage since she'd still control the Thames Estuary (to say nothing of the Thames barrier, I wonder how much the DPRL would pay Britain to keep from flooding).

Gronky · 15/12/2019 15:14

as well as brain a brain drain

As well as a brain drain, clearly my brain is draining. Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.