Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

London Independence

200 replies

LearningEveryDay19 · 14/12/2019 22:03

The majority of London voted Labour - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=election2019

The majority of London voted Remain - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/brexit.html

AIBU in suggesting that London should have a referendum on whether to become an independent city state, in order to remain in the EU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

618 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
71%
You are NOT being unreasonable
29%
ReceptacleForTheRespectable · 15/12/2019 17:45

HS2 should be scrapped. It should be all about connecting the big Northern cities to each other, because currently the train situation is woeful.

Totally agree. A fast through line connecting Hull, York, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and Liverpool would be amazing, and far more beneficial than HS2.

bluebells1 · 15/12/2019 17:45

😂😂😂😂

duckyolucky · 15/12/2019 18:19

And give over with the inter-London shit, too. London has its fair share of born and bread arseholes, same as anywhere

Not denying that, but the poster mentioned a certain type of arsehole. The "Londoners" who love diversity when they can shop at the Greek deli but less so when their only option is the secondary comp with the higher % of ethic minority's.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 15/12/2019 18:25

There are plenty of those type of Londoner’s about

Love a bit of diversity just not too much

It’s surprising how white middle class some pockets of London are often filled with those that witter on about diversity being wonderful

duckyolucky · 15/12/2019 18:28

Or the "Londoners" who are complaining about the rise in crime associated to gangs but don't seem to link this to their own drug use.

I've yet to meet anyone who grew up in Brixton & Hackney in the 80s who wanted to stay away from trouble but dabbled with drugs. You stayed away as it was a sure fire route to trouble. Now lots of my neighbours do coke & Im the sheltered one who doesn't partake.

Whizbang · 15/12/2019 18:45

I think you’re spot on EnthusiasmIsDisturbed. There are too many folk here in the London bubble convinced they are paragons of diversity because of the melting pot nature of its residents (which I’m in favour is btw). But many have never ventured outside the South East, some haven’t made it further than the Home Counties, and have naff all experience of how their fellow Brits live and the struggles they face. Then they throw scorn and condescension at the voting choices of others with a total lack of comprehension about any of the factors that have influenced it.
Makes me cringe. The OP seems to fall into this category. Yuk.
Please don’t believe all Londoners think like the OP, she gives us a bad name with her sneering and her prejudice against her fellow Brits. I completely understand why those safe labour seats voted as they did and can’t say I blame them. I voted against the cretinous Corbyn and unelectable labour too, as did many Londoners. Sadly we were outnumbered by the sneering numpties this time, but we’ll try again next time.
Bloody well done to the rest of the country for the way you voted. Thankyou thankyou thankyou from saving us from labour’s vile clutches.

ItsNearlyMorning · 15/12/2019 18:49

I've seen a petition on Facebook today asking for an independent Liverpool 😂
This is a very intelligent man who has a responsible job working with children with SEND ( for the council ) and he's gone bat shit !

justonecottonpickingminute · 15/12/2019 18:58

I lived in London for 30 years and for much of that time I had totally twattish attitudes, rather reminiscent of OP, as it goes.

I moved somewhere very far from London a few years ago and can now see, in retrospect, what a narrow-minded snob I was - effectively, the polar opposite of "cosmopolitan" in my outlook.

1moreRep · 15/12/2019 19:17

where do all the extra police come from every time there is a protest/ riot/ terrorist attack in london?

the rest of the uk, so i think an independent london would struggle

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 19:19

where do all the extra police come from every time there is a protest/ riot/ terrorist attack in london?

And vice versa. I remember the poor London police who had to police the miners strike. What a nightmare for everyone involved.

Whizbang · 15/12/2019 19:24

We’d definitely struggle 1moreRep. We are part of the U.K. here in London. We are your friends and family and countrymen and we love you and need you (although we often act like arrogant tits, that I cannot deny).

We’re all in this together. Divisive knobends like the OP need to do one. They do NOT speak for London. They are just our embarrassing little problem that flares up from time to time. A bit like herpes.

ItsNearlyMorning · 15/12/2019 19:36

@Whizbang you've made my cheeks hurt!
Herpes 😂

CatAndHisKit · 15/12/2019 21:02

Derbyshire Derby South is Labour, D.North narrowly gone back to tory but was labour the previous time. It's a small city though so not as uniformly labour as the large ones regionally.

eeyore228 · 15/12/2019 21:05

London need to realise that the UK is a country not one city and that they aren’t the be all and end all!

AdoptedBumpkin · 15/12/2019 21:09

I assume this is a joke, so not unreasonable.

TrainspottingWelsh · 15/12/2019 21:16

Laughing at the knobs that genuinely think London is subsiding the rest of the uk. Might come as a surprise, but Hmrc don't have a different formulation for taxation for Londoners. You pay exactly the same as anyone else, so yes, when far more is spent per head in London, the rest of us are subsidising it.

Successive governments destroying industries in the rest of the uk, while focusing new opportunities on London, plus the reasons given by pps is why London as a whole generates more money. Not by its own virtue.

Plus the fact other areas aren't shipping out their net takers to be housed and funded by other areas. And at the same time the poorer areas lose net contributors because the same government have ensured that's where the highly paid jobs are.

My problem is with the London centric governments, not the residents as a whole. Just those that live in a London bubble and still expect to tell the rest of us how we should think. Or bang on with their ignorant justification as to why London deserves the lions share.

Personally I'd love to see how London intends to feed its residents when it's independent. I'm thinking it would be the perfect revenge for farming, fishing etc to be restored to profitable industries by charging London bloody fortune.

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 21:19

Might come as a surprise, but Hmrc don't have a different formulation for taxation for Londoners. You pay exactly the same as anyone else, so yes, when far more is spent per head in London, the rest of us are subsidising it.

Bollocks. That's not how maths work. However I agree the rest of the UK has suffered from lack of investment.

Waxonwaxoff0 · 15/12/2019 21:27

What about Liverpool? They always vote Labour. Friendlier city too.

DerbyshireGirly · 15/12/2019 21:36

@CatAndHisKit there's also mid Derbyshire which covers part of the city and voted Conservative. Broxtowe and Gedling cover parts of Nottingham city and voted Conservative. Derby, Lincoln and Northampton had fairly convincing Leave majorities at the referendum and Nottingham also voted to leave by a small margin. So your assertion that the East Midlands cities are Remain/Labour cities is quite inaccurate.

RuffleCrow · 15/12/2019 21:41

You know the British PM and most of the government live in London, don't you? And all British MPs work there! You do get a prize for silliest idea though. Maybe the UK gov could relocate to Thanet in honour of Nige and his brilliant idea?

silentpool · 15/12/2019 21:42

zzzzzzzzzz can we please move on? Democracy means accepting that the other side can win...

TrainspottingWelsh · 15/12/2019 22:21

So terry can you explain the tax formulation hmrc only use for Londoners? The one where they pay a higher rate to the rest of us to explain why they deserve more back?

You'll find that someone on 20k/60k/ whatever salary in London gets taxed at exactly the same rate as everyone else in the same circumstances elsewhere in the uk. So why are they entitled to more back per head in school funding, public transport etc?

Central funding doesn't mean everywhere else gets back in direct correlation to what they put in. No other area gets funding on that formula so why should London? And that's if you completely ignore the fact that outside the really big net contributors, and all the reasons they're counted towards London in the first place, the majority of Londoners are the same mix as the rest of us. Or at least are until they finish the job of dispersing the poorest across the uk and off their accounts.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

midnightmisssuki · 15/12/2019 22:24

good fucking god - will this EVER stop?!?!?!?!?!

MsJaneAusten · 15/12/2019 22:47

The people who say the rest of the country subsidises London - I would love to see your evidence.

It's very easy to find. Here's just one example:

Funding per secondary school pupil in Hackney: £8,011
Funding per secondary school in Rutland: £5,001

The top seventeen boroughs (in terms of amount of funding) are in London. All Inner London boroughs are in that top 17. Manchester is the first non-London borough, at number 18, or £6,209.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-funding-formula-tables-for-schools-and-high-needs-2020-to-2021

MsJaneAusten · 15/12/2019 22:48

There's also all the hidden benefits to schools etc - free transport, free entry to museums, free CPD for teachers at theatres/museums etc. All funded by taxes.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.