Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
christmasathome · 14/12/2019 16:43

Personally I don't drink beer but my mil and sil (different sides of family) both love it.

I would probably assume its for a man but wouldn't be shocked or say anything if told it was for a woman.

rhubarbcrumbles · 14/12/2019 16:44

oops

I suppose this means you're gender nonconforming, OP. Have you considered that you may in fact be non-binary?

Not until tonight, no. I assume this means that I can't drink two beers (being a woman and all) so I will have to have 1 or 3. 1 is not happening so......

Back where I used to life men would sometimes comment 'look at the butch lesbo ordering a pint'. He soon discovered that following this up with sticking his hand on my rear resulted in him wearing his pint.

OP posts:
iklboodolphrednosedreindeer · 14/12/2019 16:47

I've got a case full of ales in for Christmas. She's got a very old fashioned view.

Lizzieee2727 · 14/12/2019 16:48

I'm quite partial to beer and a cold IPA in the summer is blissful! I'm also likely to drink a pint if I'm watching a rugby game or the like. In fact my hen do was going to watch the rugby, the queue for drinks was huge so I thought I'd order a pint to last longer and crony old man asked if a more ladylike drink would be 'suitable' for me. I downed the pint and ordered another!

Elledouble · 14/12/2019 16:53

looks at can of IPA in hand

checks in pants for a penis

No, it’s a drink for anyone!

WildRosie · 14/12/2019 16:57

Whitbread Gold Label, served in nip bottles or the little cans, IS a woman's drink. Specifically, elderly ladies. Or at least it was last time I saw anybody drink it - about thirty years ago Wink. You can still buy it in supermarkets.

MinnieMountain · 14/12/2019 17:01

squeekums I still like the taste. I'm not a real ale drinker.

Karmadog · 14/12/2019 17:01

Last time I checked I was a woman and nothing makes me happier of a summer’s evening than enjoying a Bishop’s Finger in my garden!Wink

FizzyIce · 14/12/2019 17:51

@Rowgtfc72 That sounds nice .. recently I had Stay puft- notes of peanut butter and strawberry jam and a Rhubarbra Streisand.

Rowgtfc72 · 14/12/2019 20:32

Oo! Is that the stay puft tiny rebel marshmallow porter?
Now that's a pint!

HariboLecter · 14/12/2019 20:35

Stout or porter for me please - cheers!

HariboLecter · 14/12/2019 20:37

@Rowgtfc72 ooh stay puft is gorgeous from MIAB preferably ;)
I really want to try the Irish Cream one!!

Vinorosso74 · 14/12/2019 20:38

I am currently drinking red wine (matching my user name) but I love beer. There are so many fab independent breweries with lots of different beers which appeal to all tastes irrespective of sex.

DonttouchthatLarry · 14/12/2019 20:57

I love a pint of real ale Grin

NewNameForMeNewNameForMe · 14/12/2019 21:01

Mines a pint. I can't stand wine. Tastes like vinegar to me! Xmas Confused

Vinorosso74 · 14/12/2019 21:28

To add.... We have a great independent beer shop/tap room near us run by a husband and wife team. They are both equally knowledgeable on the beers. They don't fit into the stereotypical hipster category either. It is somewhere I feel happy to buy beers and could sit there alone for a beer in the same way I could for a coffee.

HariboLecter · 14/12/2019 21:34

That sounds like my kind of place Vino!!

Vinorosso74 · 14/12/2019 21:38

If you're north London ish I can give you details! You won't get a pint of Stella or London Pride (thankfully) but it is a great local business.

corythatwas · 14/12/2019 21:43

I came to this country in the early 80s, drinking pints was definitely something my female friends did. But that might say more about the social circles I moved in than the country at large.

Whattodoabout · 14/12/2019 21:52

My Mum always ordered half a lager as if that were more womanly Grin. It’s ridiculous, anyone can drink whatever they like. My DH only drinks G&T’s, he hates beer.

Readthisearlier · 14/12/2019 21:56

@Rowgtfc72 Tiny Rebel is the best beer ever. Just all of them. Tropicana is like beery Lilt, amazing in the summer. Cwtch is nice too, but I'm a fan of Fubar.

FizzyIce · 15/12/2019 09:14

@Rowgtfc72 yes that’s the one !
Was meant to say marshmallow not jam ! I was a bit squiffy after a few of those .. I later tripped up the curb, ripped my jeans and squashed my subway sandwich GrinBlush

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Rowgtfc72 · 15/12/2019 09:20

FizzyIce, yeah that sounds like the right stuff!
Readthisearlier cwtch was the first one I tried. We have a beer shop just opened and they sell lots of tiny rebel. Tropicana sounds good!

midnightmisssuki · 15/12/2019 09:20

Nah - I know women who only drink beer/lager.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.