Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
Jayneisapain · 13/12/2019 19:52

Ugh, I was online dating for a while. I'm fairly slim, wear makeup and dress in a semi-stylish way. Nothing special but tick all of those boxes. Turns out being all of those things PLUS a pint drinker is the holy grail to some pretty patronising sexist men. I really could have had my pick. Luckily I met my lovely DH a different way and hes never one commented on what I drink (although he is a 6ft 2 big hairy Malibu drinker Grin)

kalinkafoxtrot45 · 13/12/2019 20:01

Try telling the women here in Bavaria that beer is a man’s drink. Grin

I like dark beer and DP prefers light, quite often it’s given to us the other way round in bars and restaurants. But my local gets it right! 🍺🍻😋

Teachermaths · 13/12/2019 20:09

Unless you drink it through your penis then no its not. The woman sounds a little mad.

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 20:49

I hate to see women holding a pint glass - just looks common.

Why does it look common? It's a drink in a glass, I don't see how that can be considered to be common.

OP posts:
ItFigures · 13/12/2019 20:53

I love a beer and wouldn’t for a moment think it’s a mans drink.

Fucck · 13/12/2019 20:54

How long does it take you to drink a pint? Isn't it warm by the time you get half way down?

Grin never has chance, ime!

AllergicToAMop · 13/12/2019 20:55

Half of Europe is common then😂
I will rather look common than have a heartburn🤷

SerenDippitty · 13/12/2019 20:56

Like beer and wine but don’t drink pints. Don’t wan’t to spend the entire evening on the toilet.

LoseLooseLucy · 13/12/2019 20:59

Unashamed pint drinker here 💪

BobbinThreadbare123 · 13/12/2019 21:05

Always drunk pints, always will. Too many excellent breweries not to! Equal opportunities beer drinker here. Prosecco is bad for the enamel on your teeth!

Sparklingbrook · 13/12/2019 21:07

I don't know how you can drink a pint of liquid that fast @Fucck, and as @SerenDippitty said I would be in the loo all evening.

Singlebutmarried · 13/12/2019 21:23

The reverend James leads to all sorts of trouble.

Enjoy OP

sammybins · 13/12/2019 21:42

another pint lady, here. I started drinking pints specifically to piss off men, who bristled at the idea of a petite, cute young thing chugging Guinness from a pint glass. Now I do it because I like the stout. I like chocolate, velvety stout. I like Newcastle brown ale. I like a good, solid pint of mild. All that sugary pink shit in fancy glasses? No thanks. It rots your teeth.

tillytrotter1 · 13/12/2019 22:23

I buy 'my beer', it's a bit expensive and a dozen bottles last half the year, no-one gets to touch it if they want to keep 10 fingers!
When we were students, late 60s, a pub we used to drink in wouldn't serve women in handled glasses, straight sided glasses only and in another they wouldn't serve women pints but would happily serve you two halves!

ReanimatedSGB · 13/12/2019 22:31

I like wine, from time to time, as well as beer and cider. And I will happily drink prosecco (though TBH I prefer either actual champagne or bucks' fizz - Sainsburys used to do one with clementine juice which was really nice). Really, thinking about it, probably the only alcohol I really don't care for is tequila. And 'shots' when they are nasty, nasty, nasty synthetic concotions of lighter fluid and artificial sweeteners.

Readthisearlier · 13/12/2019 22:32

Beer is for anyone, seeing as it isn't consumed using your genitals.

However, I drink it by the half pint because I have small hands and painful arthritis in my shoulders. Pints are too big and heavy to hold comfortably for me personally. If I could drink a pint, I would, it would be far easier.

notacooldad · 13/12/2019 22:32

I'm drinking a bottle of Shipyard at the moment. I tend to drink IPAs but also like a cocktail or gin and lemon. Same as my DH.
I don't get all the issues around drinks! It's a type of fluid that people have personal preferences, same as anything!

PickAChew · 13/12/2019 22:32

Divvent be daft.

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 22:51

Is Shipyard good? I have bought 6 bottles of real ale for over Xmas but am thinking it might not be enough.....

OP posts:
ItsGoingTibiaK · 13/12/2019 22:57

Not if it’s served in a “ladies’ glass” as used to be quite common in northern England (and possibly elsewhere - it’s just where I grew up).

notacooldad · 13/12/2019 22:59

Is Shipyard good?
I like it. I haven't had it for a while but DH picked up a few bottles this evening.

francienolan · 13/12/2019 23:27

I think it's really funny that people say things look common disparagingly, like a pp. Well yes. The vast majority of us are commoners. Unless that poster has just outed herself as the Duchess of Cambridge.

I do like a beer, sometimes a pint and sometimes a half.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ForkThis · 13/12/2019 23:29

I like beer. I absolutely hate wine and will never drink it.

ScreamingValalalalahLalalalah · 13/12/2019 23:52

Not if it’s served in a “ladies’ glass”

Ladies' glasses - pah! Angry.

It's a pint glass for me. I'm common as muck, but it strikes me that it's probably a middle class thing to worry about 'appearances' when drinking a pint as a woman. It's one of those things, like swearing, that neither the working classes nor the aristocracy gives a toss about.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 14/12/2019 00:05

I went to the bar once and the guy said "glass of Prosecco" my reply was no a pint please

Hopefully not a pint of Prosecco :)

Beeeeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!! Actually, I drink almost anything. Not that keen on cider, but that's mainly because the commercial stuff is so horrible. I do like the artisan farmhouse ciders, served ice-cold and preferably from proper French cider bowls.

I've had comments buying beer before. The most memorable was buying milk stout and the man at the till assumed I was pregnant (I wasn't).

I've also had disdain buying whisky. The most memorable moment was in a Duty-Free in Singapore where the female attendant looked at me with a duck's bum face when I explained that it wasn't for my 'father or husband' but for me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.