Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
Blacksackunderthetreesfreeze · 14/12/2019 12:56

It’s clearly for whoever enjoys it! That said, I often wonder if men’s taste buds are different because they (mostly) seem to love beer and I can’t get excited about it.

ShayAndBlueSeeker · 14/12/2019 12:59

No. It’s just a drink! It’s an adults drink.

CouscousEvaporator · 14/12/2019 13:11

I researched some of this for Halloween. Women used to predominantly brew and drink beer for nutrition. And marked their stalls with broomsticks and wore pointed hats 😁

bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/the-dark-history-of-women-witches-and-beer

I don’t drink beer personally as I bloat, but I do like a pint of cider.

Arthritica · 14/12/2019 13:20

I prefer wine mostly, but I do love a pint of bitter from time to time. Lager's too fizzy for me.

Another 50yo who started on pints at the student union bar because it took so long to get served you wouldn't want to fight that scrum for a poxy half. Outraged my older (rural-dwelling) relatives back then.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 14/12/2019 13:30

I craved beer when pregnant with DD1. Luckily it could be sated with the smell of beer... And DH sacrificed himself to a nightly bottle. Friend Alcohol free and it didn't work. It didn't smell right.

rhubarbcrumbles · 14/12/2019 13:39

Growing up in the 80's it was rare to see a woman drinking a pint where I lived, it was seen as unfeminine and the woman must be common or rough to do it.

Where I lived it was considered (by the ill-informed) to be the drink of butch lesbians.

OP posts:
MitziK · 14/12/2019 13:46

Newcastle Brown Ale, apparently, has to be drunk from a half pint glass. According to DP, at any rate. I don't drink it, thanks to a post 18th birthday party experience of trying it at about 5am, so I still associate with the pukefest that followed.

I do, however, order pints of sheepdip if I want a proper drink. Or a goldfish bowl of gin if it's been a particularly hard few days at work and I've met DP in the pub afterwards. Most of the time, though, I like having wanky fizzy drinks, like Rose Lemonade or Elderflower.

The only people who have ever got all 'That's not a woman's drink' at me have been very Working Class and Proud - as in the stereotypical never touching Foreign Muck (like garlic, pasta, vegetables not boiled for a week with bicarb, meat any less done than burned to a crisp), microwave ovens are the work of the devil (so wife must prepare everything from scratch daily), women only go into pubs when their husbands take them, get dressed up and then sit in the corner with the other womenfolk, etc.

Not so many of them around these days - although my job has changed, which might be something to do with it - and if I'm in a pub, it tends to be in the arse end of nowhere, where nobody gives a shiny shite about what you're drinking as long as you've kicked the majority of the horse or sheepshit off your boots before you've walked in.

PhoneLock · 14/12/2019 13:54

I'm not a IPA drinker, prefer a dark beer.

Try Karma Citra IPA. American citra hops combined with dark malts. Just reading the back of a bottle now.

MitziK · 14/12/2019 13:55

Ewww! Bollocks to Artisan Farmhouse Small Batch Ciders or Fruit Ciders fruit flavour drinks with a ton of sugar and industrial alcohol added. It's Lumpy Scrumpy all the way.

Same with gin. Don't ponce about with sugar and random flavours - as is, preferably Navy Strength, and if it's winter, I'll make an exception for proper Sloe Gin with bitter lemon.

Rowgtfc72 · 14/12/2019 14:02

Cheers for that PhoneLock. Will look for that one.

KatherineJaneway · 14/12/2019 14:08

Where I lived it was considered (by the ill-informed) to be the drink of butch lesbians.

Really, that's interesting. I never came across that but homosexuality was never mentioned growing up apart from a few pointed comments in wider social gatherings about one or two men being a 'confirmed bachelors' with meaningful looks passed around that went over my head until years later I realised what they actually meant.

WildRosie · 14/12/2019 14:14

goose1964. Samuel Smith brew Imperial Stout (or at least they used to) but it's only sold in small bottles - either 250ml or 330ml.

Glittershake · 14/12/2019 14:16

Yin personally don’t like beer I love cider though but when I order it even if I want a pint il order it in 2 half’s

MereDintofPandiculation · 14/12/2019 14:51

Here's a thought, some of the drinks that are classed as "for ladies" are stronger than beer. I wonder if that's to do with bladders? Women like to have their alcoholic undiluted with large quantities of water a) because we get into more intimate contact with piss receptacles than men b) facilities for women are never as copious as for men c) many women, because of the above, try to avoid using facilities outside their home (and in the past, like 50+ years ago, it wasn't very "ladylike" to need to go and "powder your nose", certainly not more than once in the evening)

AllergicToAMop · 14/12/2019 14:54

The secret is never to "break the dam" too early. Once you pee, you never stop...

Doyoumind · 14/12/2019 14:56

I never drink wine.

FenellaVelour · 14/12/2019 15:01

I drink beer. Pints of a Proper Job or fancy craft beer. Used to be a local CAMRA committee member and moderated a 20k strong beer group on Facebook. It’s just a drink 🍻

Crazypanda85 · 14/12/2019 15:05

Haha was she also shocked you'd been allowed out on your own without a man to assist you.
I like a beer, my Dad bless him always tries to persuade me to have a half pint as it's more 'ladylike' so I just order two half pints to keep us both sweet Grin

Keepithidden · 14/12/2019 15:09

There's no such thing as a man's or woman's drink. It's just a drink!

rubydoobydoo · 14/12/2019 16:21

When we go to our favourite curry place DH and I always order the same bottled beer, but they bring his with a pint glass and mine with a half pint glass - much to DH's amusement! Grin

I used to be partial to real ale, was a cellar manager in a real ale pub and ran a good few beer festivals- unfortunately the headaches it gave me got too much and I had to give it up. Now DH likes rose wine and I'm more of a whiskey drinker!

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime · 14/12/2019 16:30

I drink beer, but I know it's a thing women aren't supposed to do. When I was at uni I was told outright by a bloke (born in early 80s, so not the olden days) that he didn't like girls who drank pints. (I was devastated obviously Grin)

I suppose this means you're gender nonconforming, OP. Have you considered that you may in fact be non-binary?

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime · 14/12/2019 16:32

My parents are definitely uncomfortable with it. My mum doesn't 'know how I can drink so much liquid!'. It is very unladylike of me. They know I like beer/lager, but I would never ever be offered one at theirs. They offer one to DH and I get wine or G&T!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PerfectPretender · 14/12/2019 16:37

Hah I'm just having a Guinness right now.

rhubarbcrumbles · 14/12/2019 16:42

Pints of a Proper Job or fancy craft beer

Coincidentally I just had a bottle of Proper Job in my hand (no sniggering at the back) but put it back when I saw it was Cornish - no offence to the Cornish but to me Proper Job is a Bristol expression so I thought it might be a Bristolian brew.

I ended up with a bottle of This and a bottle of That which I've never seen before, I will report back. That's not Bristolian brew either so this is completely illogical of course.

OP posts:
rhubarbcrumbles · 14/12/2019 16:42

I suppose this means you're gender nonconforming, OP. Have you considered that you may in fact be non-binary?

Not until tonig

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.