Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
InDubiousBattle · 13/12/2019 18:24

coldwarenigma I'm quite partial to a real ale and dp likes fruity cider (the sweeter and most fizzy calpol-like the better), bar staff always hand us them the wrong way around. I didn't like it when I was young though, I've grown into it, I think my dad's still holding out hope for me and red wine in that respect!

Thestrangestthing · 13/12/2019 18:26

I like beer sometimes, not my drink, but sometimes I'll drink it if I'm in the mood for it. DP (male) can't stand the stuff. Onky drinks vodka.

MaidofKent78 · 13/12/2019 18:26

I love a pint of real ale, preferably with straw still in it ;-)

Sadly I have experienced beer sexism and had to do some serious eye rolling...

7Worfs · 13/12/2019 18:28

Slightly off topic but when DH and I order a black coffee and a cappuccino, they always give him the black coffee, which is my drink.

I’m always slightly miffed at the assumption.

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:32

Black coffee is oh so masculine, cappuccino with the pretty decoration on the milk must always be for the little lady.

OP posts:
Comfortzone · 13/12/2019 18:33

Women at the till seem to love winding customers up I get comments all the time which really baffles me:
'what is my job anyway?'
'Is this your housework?' (When buying magazines & candles)
'You do know that you have too many items for self scanning you should've gone to that other till' (I had a basket of 12 items

Are they in charge of my life?!?!

Comfortzone · 13/12/2019 18:35

Meaning, just ignore the ridiculous comments at the till about the correct gender for imbibing beer and enjoy the drink whenever you choose

MarshaBradyo · 13/12/2019 18:36

Love a Duvel but as it’s a glass of bread to me I drink it sparingly.

AllergicToAMop · 13/12/2019 18:37

And imagine what happens when you not only have the drink order put Infront of wrong person but the food order is double decker burger with pulled pork and chunky chips and the second one is grilled chicken with salad😂
He wasn't hungry. I was. And cranky. 2 strikes, mate. 2 strikes. Waiter was blushing so much.

SheShriekedShrilly · 13/12/2019 18:37

I drink beer (by the pint) and DH usually prefers wine. Waiters always put the glasses the wrong way around.

It’s one of those things that shows that gender stereotypes are alive and well, no matter how much we wish they weren’t.

Fucck · 13/12/2019 18:41

My husband is an extremely fussy eater, he will usually order chicken in some form or other. I love a steak. You can guarantee that the waiter/ess will attempt to plonk my steak down in front of him or be at least halfway down with it before I can squeak THATS MINE!

Bluntness100 · 13/12/2019 18:42

I'll occasionally have a beer, I'm not a big fan of it though, I have a close female friend who always drinks it. But always bottles.

Oddly, I think it's my age, I still weirdly see pints as more masculine. I'm fifty so grew up in a time when women didn't drink pints. Some things stay with you. I do drink pints, but generally it's at a festival or something, I wouldn't go into a pub and order a pint.

Sparklingbrook · 13/12/2019 18:43

Whenever I go out to eat the waiter/waitress asks who is having what before putting any plates on the table.

Boxerbinky · 13/12/2019 18:45

Beer for me please 🍻

CMOTDibbler · 13/12/2019 18:45

I'm a member of CAMRA, met my dh at a beer festival, and my female friend runs a brewery (and actually creates beer and brews it). Before I was coeliac I drank pints of real ale in glasses with a handle. So no, beer is for everyone

Ludways · 13/12/2019 18:46

In the 80's dad would never buy my sister and I a pint, so we'd make him buy us two halves each and seeing as we were so feeble we'd make him carry them all back from the bar himself, he gave in and buys us pints now. Beer isn't a man's drink, what a crock. I do know women who won't drink it because of the size rather than the taste, I tend to roll my eyes and drink up.

Sparklingbrook · 13/12/2019 18:46

My eldest DS has let the beer drinking side down by declaring it 'all tastes of brown bread' and I find it hard to disagree. Grin

duckyolucky · 13/12/2019 18:48

DH drinks Diet Coke, I drink normal coke. When a server brings them over Im always give the diet coke, is that a women's drink?

exexpat · 13/12/2019 18:50

ExDP is not much of a drinker, usually sticks to apple juice, and the only alcoholic things he does like are cider (by the half), white wine and Baileys. You can imagine how often my pint of beer has been given to the wrong person.

Bluntness - I'm 51, and I am pretty sure (some) women have been drinking pints for as long as I have been going to pubs.

Boxerbinky · 13/12/2019 18:50

@duckyolucky ha ha yes my dh is diabetic do always orders diet - if I order full sugar it is always assumed it's his.. so it must be Wink

CosmoK · 13/12/2019 18:51

Complete utter bollocks.
As for bring embarrassed to be seen holding a pint. Wtf??! One of the the most ridiculous things I've read on here and that's saying something.

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:58

I'm fifty so grew up in a time when women didn't drink pints.

I remember that time but I did drink pints. I might even have ordered pints because it was seen as socially unacceptable.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 13/12/2019 19:00

I’m 53 and drink pints. I always have, and so have my beer drinking female friends. I prefer a real ale and DH will generally have lager, although I am beginning to influence him. 😁

I also like wine (not sparkling) and gin.

Bluntness100 · 13/12/2019 19:01

It's weird isn't it, I think it was a formative age for me, early teens, it's funny how we move on as a society and looking back what seems unthinkable now.

Rowgtfc72 · 13/12/2019 19:01

Is Rev James nice? I've had my hand on it a few times but always pick up the Batemans and Waggledance.
I've drunk real ale since I was 18, so 30 years nearly. My best mate drinks real ale too.
Did once have a barman explain that what I'd asked for was stout and "not wine love". It was off and he repeated it was stout not wine when I complained. I said it was off again and he smiled politely, tasted it and spat it on the floor muttering it was off!Xmas Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.