Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
Alleycat1 · 14/12/2019 00:11

I love real ale and could care less what anybody thinks. My second drink of choice is whisky and I ignore looks and comments when I order that too. Attitudes are much better now than in the 70s, though.

ScreamingValalalalahLalalalah · 14/12/2019 00:11

Order a pint of John Smiths with a male friend who's driving and having a soft drink and I guarantee the bar person will give the pint to the man.

Cf. if you're eating out and you order a steak while your DH orders quiche.

I have a quiche-loving husband and this always happens.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 14/12/2019 00:13

Ha! And the time we were at this toffy craft beer place and I ordered something dense and brown and my DP a strawberry 'beer'. Naturally, when brought to the table, I got given a fancy glass of pale pink 'beer' all dressed up like a cocktail and my DP got given my dense brown beer in an ordinary glass. I looked the waiter in the eye and said 'you think I'd drink this muck?' and pushed it across the table to my DP. The waiter said 'oh, if we'd have known we would not have bothered with the fancy glass'. DP saved his wavering masculinity by eating all the garnishes first. The 'beer' tasted wee'ish and sour (although to be fair, given the style, maybe this was deliberate).

ScreamingValalalalahLalalalah · 14/12/2019 00:15

you think I'd drink this muck?

Ha ha! I'm with you - I want my beer to taste of beer, not strawberries.

SleighOfSparkliness · 14/12/2019 00:21

Know your place. A Babycham for you, and don’t get flirty!

Tillygetsit · 14/12/2019 00:37

I love good beer and always drink in pints. Currently pregnant and lusting after a Wobbly Bob!

Raindrops17 · 14/12/2019 00:54

It's ridiculous isn't it. I love a lager or pale ale. Especially after a day out on the hills or a long summer bike ride.

I do get comments about not drinking wine, my mother is the worst for it.

I think I'm going to start responding with 'it's ok, I identify as a man today so it's allowed' Wink

PhoneLock · 14/12/2019 01:12

I don't like beer. Never have. MY husband brews his own and has tried to get me to acquire the taste. He's failed miserably so far.

I have no problem standing at a bar drinking a pint of dry cider though.

TooManyPaws · 14/12/2019 02:11

I hate beer, always have done. My parents (born in 1920) would often split a beer if they only wanted a short drink at home. Mum also told me that the landlady at their honeymoon lodgings in 1946 was such an old dragon that they came home early to finish the beer left over from the reception!

I'll happily drink a decent cider by the pint though. Dad remembered a beer shortage during WW2 and getting plastered on cider when his ship was in port in SW England because he thought it a weak kids' drink..... 🤣

DonutMan · 14/12/2019 03:00

Personally, I don't think women should be drinking pints.

DonutMan · 14/12/2019 03:01

(Only joking. I've had a couple myself tonight).

goose1964 · 14/12/2019 03:18

I'm another female CAMRA member. I've been drinking pints for around 40 years .I have had the problem of bar people giving the pint to my partner and me their spirit and mixers. Luckily enough DH loves his beer (perhaps a little too much) as well.

I can remember that in the early days of lager it was seen as a ladies drink sold in halves only. These days the only halves I drink are when I can find Russian Imperial Stout which is only just weaker than most wines.

NightIbble · 14/12/2019 04:01

In a local Indian restaurant me and DH ordered a pint of Cobra each. When they came he was given a pint glass with his bottle but I was given a half pint glass!

LemonPrism · 14/12/2019 04:17

Annoying. Why is a 4% alcohol for men but an 11% for women? Considering our smaller size. Perpetuates that we get silly and drunk.

No duh if it's only feminine to have wine.

Love a Porter myself .

PhoneLock · 14/12/2019 04:26

Annoying. Why is a 4% alcohol for men but an 11% for women? Considering our smaller size. Perpetuates that we get silly and drunk.

Have you considered using a smaller glass? A wine glass, for example.

virginpinkmartini · 14/12/2019 04:32

Love an ice cold pint. I've never given it much thought about 'who drinks what', except maybe when I was 18 and a new (female) friend was dumbfounded when I was ordering a pint. She ordered one too, and was nursing it, obviously not enjoying it. I was like 'Why did you order it if you don't want it' and she was like 'I dunno, girls don't usually have beer so I wanted to try it'. Made me think 'Oh shit, do people think I drink pints to look like a' cool girl' then'...

Since then, I haven't thought much about it because my mum and sister like pints, and my best friend will have a can if there's nothing else going. Nothing hits the spot like chugging a frosty glass lol

Boxerbinky · 14/12/2019 05:34

The only reason I prefer a half or bottle is that I don't drink very fast (well not usually), and prefer my beer to be lively. So for me a pint is too much, Not that I'd turn a pint away mind you!

SerenDippitty · 14/12/2019 05:46

My late FIL if getting a round would always get my half of Guinness in a “lady’s glass” I.e with a stem. Don’t see those any more.

Natsku · 14/12/2019 06:44

I drink pints and have done since I started drinking. Loved real ales until I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease and now my beer options are limited. Don't like fancy cocktails because I find them too strong!

Where I live now there seems to be less of a traditional divide, both men and women traditionally drink beer and, since the 50s, a gin and fizzy grapefruit alcopop drink, wine being less popular (not any more, quite popular now). I can't remember the last time someone placed the wrong drink (or the wrong meal) in front of me, they tend to ask first who is having what rather than assuming.

PhilCornwall1 · 14/12/2019 06:52

My wife was happily necking a Korev (tasty Cornish lager) from the bottle on Thursday evening, so I guess she wouldn't agree.

SerenDippitty · 14/12/2019 06:56

Ha ha! I'm with you - I want my beer to taste of beer, not strawberries.

Belgian raspberry beer is lovely. Not had it for a while but think I will treat myself this weekend.

NearlyOutedMyself · 14/12/2019 07:03

I prefee beer to wine. I also, if pushed, order sourish/bitter cocktails to sweet as I don't really have a sweet tooth. Drink what you like.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 14/12/2019 07:06

Perhaps some of you unladylike Mumsnetters could recommend me some beers...
Just moved back to UK from Germany and missing my Weißbeer. I don't like stuff that is too heavy or too sweet.

(What do people think of women drinking from Steins? Now they are a workout... Saves a visit to the gym!)

PhoneLock · 14/12/2019 07:20

Just moved back to UK from Germany and missing my Weißbeer

My husband got a taste for Weißbeer when he worked in Germany. He now brews his own.

ColleysMill · 14/12/2019 07:27

I love ale!!!! Also another camra member.

Always drunk pints. Why would i drink halves??? Just means more trips to the bar. My grandmother used to be appalled though when i was a teenager she thought it was very unbecoming.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.