Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is beer a man's drink?

199 replies

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 18:05

I don't think it is but I was buying some real ales for Xmas and the woman at the till asked if I was buying beer for my husband. When I said it was for me she was almost shocked that I wanted beer - 'Wouldn't you rather have a glass of wine?'

YABU - it's a man's drink
YANBU - it's for anybody

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

766 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
WoahGreenGiant · 13/12/2019 19:04

I love a beer, especially on holiday 🍻

I once went to a bit of a 'do' in a pub for DP's sports team and ordered a pint - one of the other girlfriends told me I was 'naughty' Confused Hmm

ReanimatedSGB · 13/12/2019 19:05

I'm 55 and have been drinking pints since my late teens (though I am now more likely to drink cider than beer. Unless somewhere with craft ales.) Is this bullshit still going on? I remember being in a rather 'traditional' pub up north in the early 90s and ordering three pints for me and my two female friends - and the barman asked if they were for men or women. I asked what difference it made and he said it was the type of glass. So I asked if there was any difference as to how much beer each glass held, and he said No, so I said, just give us the nearest three clean ones, then.

I took to drinking pints in my youth because, basically, you got more drink for your money. As a younger teen I used to ask for vodka and lemonade but soon worked out that three sips and it's gone, whereas you can get twenty minutes or so out of a pint for slightly less money...

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 13/12/2019 19:06

It is weird, Bluntness. I suppose I moved in feminist bluestocking and prog rock circles ( minimal overlap tbf 😁) so pints were quite normal, although I suppose it was a rebellion at first. I do have some more stereotypically feminine friends who don’t drink beer or would only ever have halves.

rhubarbcrumbles · 13/12/2019 19:06

Is Rev James nice?

I would try some more to let you know but the bottle seems to be empty for some strange reason. Would you like the one I have in the fridge?

OP posts:
AlwaysThereForEveryoneElse · 13/12/2019 19:06

I'd sooner have a beer over a wine.. Can't stand wine of any kind. I always get told its not ladylike.. My reply is well I'm not ladylike and I will drink whatever I wish to drink but thanks for the input

SimonJT · 13/12/2019 19:07

Unless it requires a penis to drink it then it’s for men or women.

SpinneyHill · 13/12/2019 19:09

If he's holding it then yes it's a man's drink.

Where would Port/ Sherry and Mulled Wine fall in the sexed alcohol chart?

My dad once told me Red wine was for Men, White for Women for some reason it stuck with me!

AdaColeman · 13/12/2019 19:09

Back in the mists of time, a footed half pint glass used to be known as a Lady's Glass!

ChristmasSpirtsOnTheRocksPleas · 13/12/2019 19:14

I’m a whisky woman. I wonder what the lady at the supermarket would have to say about me Hmm

x2boys · 13/12/2019 19:15

I'm not keen on beer, or lager or cider tbh,I used to drink it when I was a student ,but I much prefer wine ,I wouldn't judge anyone Who does prefer it

LoonyLunaLoo · 13/12/2019 19:16

I don’t judge others that drink it but it’s not for me. It tastes disgusting, has about a million calories in it and it comes in big, ugly glasses. I’m definitely a stereotypical woman though as it’s a nice pink gin and lemonade for me please, preferably with fruit 😂.

duckyolucky · 13/12/2019 19:18

@Boxerbinky Diet coke is disgusting!

alibongo5 · 13/12/2019 19:18

To those who have said it wasn't the done thing back in the day, I have been drinking pints since I was about 18/19 and I'm now coming up to 58 so 40 years. I used to occasionally get the odd comment but not very often.
I think I started regularly drinking pints when I met my husband - I would ask for a half and he'd have a pint but as we drank at the same speed, I'd finish twice as quickly as him, so tended to be waiting with an empty glass or buying the next drink before he'd finished. As well as the fact that we bought rounds so I was losing out that way as well!

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 13/12/2019 19:19

I was in a bar last year where they gave the ladies half pint glasses with their bottle of beer, and the men got pint glasses. Consequently the men could fill their glass and get rid of the bottle... Ladies were left holding the bottle and glass.

DH does sometimes buy me a 'top half' as I drink slower when he gets his second pint. That is a good use of the half pint measure.

thedevilinablackdress · 13/12/2019 19:21

You appear to have gone shopping in1975

Having said that, men still far outnumber women at the beer festivals I've attended

fblake · 13/12/2019 19:21

I went to the bar once and the guy said "glass of Prosecco" my reply was no a pint please, he looked really surprised. It really annoyed me, my DP thought I was overreacting 🙄

MilkTrayLimeBarrel · 13/12/2019 19:22

I hate to see women holding a pint glass - just looks common.

CosmoK · 13/12/2019 19:28

I drink cordial out of a pint glass at home.....does that make me common??

marchingonwithmother · 13/12/2019 19:31

Common as muck me

RainRainGoAwayComeAgain · 13/12/2019 19:33

I don’t like beer, never have. I only drink wine/prosecco these days, used to drink spirits when I was younger on nights out. I couldn’t imagine drinking a pint dressed up, I dunno it just doesn’t look very lady like does it? Maybe at a festival or something, but an evening out in a nice bar it’d look a bit odd a woman with a pint.

FizzyIce · 13/12/2019 19:36

I love real ale and beer , not a fan of lager.
I introduced it to my dh who would only drink spirits or lager .
There’s a new microbrewery that’s opened near me ,it’s fantastic and atleast half the patrons are women

Sparklingbrook · 13/12/2019 19:37

How long does it take you to drink a pint? Isn't it warm by the time you get half way down?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ScreamingValalalalahLalalalah · 13/12/2019 19:42

YANBU.

We need a beer emoji on MN to dispel the myth that it's only for blokes and we women always drink wine or gin.

I'm looking forward to a Bishop's Finger tonight!

PurBal · 13/12/2019 19:43

YANBU

But I did go to a pub recently where there wasn't any ale behind the bar (just not that kind of pub) ordered a pint of cider and then realised that every woman in the place except me was drinking wine or spirits with mixers. Broad age range, about 50 people. It's a different kind of normal.

Pinkblueberry · 13/12/2019 19:43

She’s an idiot. Women like beer - and incidentally men can prefer wine too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.