Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Will my son go to prison?

307 replies

MrsPortious · 28/10/2018 17:03

DS is 17. He has been arrested before for assault but it was dealt with by youth justice serve so officially not charged.

Early this week, he was arrested for affect. An unprovoked attack on an unknown male, caught in CCTV, where he was seen kicking him over 20 times in the head and face. Unknown male has not come forward. Behind the scenes, DS was already being investigated for threats of arson and threats to kill.
Solicitor says it has prison written all over it. I can’t get my head around that. He’s currently released without bail pending further enquiries.

Will he go to prison?

I’ve tried so hard to get him help. Have referred him to social devices, drug counselling, Cahms ... cahms are the only ones still involved.

I’m just stuck in limbo now waiting for a court date. I have no support and it’s killing me. His father was supposed to be having him this weekend but “something came up”. I don’t get the opportunity of “something coming up”. I have it 24/7.

The CCTV is so sickening, it’s the kind of thing that will go viral on Facebook if the press gets hold of it. DS cares not one bit. When solicitor told him it could be a prison sentence, he didn’t react at all. Solicitor rang me the next day to say he’d never seen such a violence assault and he’d never known such an emotionless response from the offender.

Will my Christmas Day involve me signing into the visitors book at HMP? I have nobody to talk to about this.

OP posts:
MrsPortious · 28/10/2018 17:03

Arrested for affray, not affect

OP posts:
MrsPortious · 28/10/2018 17:04

Sorry for typos, auto correct

OP posts:
steff13 · 28/10/2018 17:05

Yes, I'd say so.

Notmyrealname85 · 28/10/2018 17:06

Yes, definitely

FallenSky · 28/10/2018 17:07

Oh gosh, OP. I can't give you an answer. I'd imagine prison would be a definite and I'm sorry to say, is the right punishment for what he's done.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Flowers

JellyBears · 28/10/2018 17:07

I hope So he’s a Violent criminal! I’m sorry to be harsh but a good friend of mines relative was kicked to death by a teenage thug.

Chapterandverse · 28/10/2018 17:07

OP,I I don't have a legal background but as part of my job I cover magistrates' courts.

I'm sorry to say this sounds like the type of thing he will definitely go to jail for.

Is he pleading guilty? I guess he sort of has to if they have it on cctv?

BackToTheFuschia7 · 28/10/2018 17:07

Sorry you’re in this situation Flowers

A prison sentence sounds likely, especially given what your solicitor has said. Perhaps that would be the wake up call your DS needs before he really seriously injures someone or worse. He could have killed that person.

MrsPortious · 28/10/2018 17:08

So why does he not care?? I said to him the other day “you realise you could be going to prison for this?” And he reacted as if I’d just said “you realise your dinner is getting cold”.

I feel like I’m in a parallel universe at the minute.

OP posts:
Gazelda · 28/10/2018 17:08

Yes, i imagine so.
Are there any agencies/charities that can support you?

SoyDora · 28/10/2018 17:08

To be honest yes, it does sound like he will get a prison sentence.
How long has this sort of behaviour been going on?

notapizzaeater · 28/10/2018 17:08

There's a thread on here about what to take to prison - people will be more knowledgable (and sympathetic ) there

JimandPam · 28/10/2018 17:08

Almost certainly he will and although hard to hear, I think you'd probably agree that it's the right place for him given your description of what happened and his response...

But the tone of your message suggests you know this and perhaps are seeking support? Do you have anyone in RL to talk to about this? Any other family or friends?

pointythings · 28/10/2018 17:08

I'd say it's likely. Your DS sounds like a very troubled young man who is going to need a lot of help to turn his life around. You also need support - when he comes out, you will have to decide what your boundaries are with him. I would strongly recommend counselling for you.

mamamedic · 28/10/2018 17:08

Yes. Hopefully he can get some help there and sort himself out.

Could be a positive. You get a break. He gets help. (And the innocent public is protected.)

Boomchicawowow · 28/10/2018 17:09

Perhaps going to prison might be the wake up call your son needs OP Flowers

LondonLassInTheCountry · 28/10/2018 17:09

I hope so

Quartz2208 · 28/10/2018 17:09

Is he at the Crown Court or Magistrates Court (indictable or summarily) - if at the Crown Court its much more serious and yes far more likely to be prison

Loopylou6 · 28/10/2018 17:09

Tbh op, without sounding horrible, I think prison is the best place for him, they may be able to rehabilitate him?
Flowers

AnotherOriginalUsername · 28/10/2018 17:09

It sounds like prison may not be such a bad thing for him? It'd give you a break and may be the break that he needs.

anitagreen · 28/10/2018 17:09

Is there any reason at all he gave for doing this? I think he will go to prison the only thing you can do is prepare yourself well try too.

Bunnybigears · 28/10/2018 17:10

I think the only thing that would keep him out is a genuine show of remorse a completely clean record and some excellent character references and evidence it was completely out of character. So unfortunately I think he may be looking at prison.

Namechangeforthiscancershit · 28/10/2018 17:10

So sorry you’re in this position (yes also very sorry for the victim and his family, but they’re not here on this thread).

I have seen the prison thread and it is really good and well worth finding.

Littlechocola · 28/10/2018 17:10

Hopefully. He will then start getting the help he needs.

ChoudeBruxelles · 28/10/2018 17:10

Sorry but he needs a serious punishment for what he’s done.

Has he always been so ambivalent about the consequences of his actions?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.