Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

Charlie Gard case

999 replies

LovelyBath77 · 06/07/2017 09:41

AIBU to feel the drama over this poor little boy is not helpful? I read the Pope and Donald Trump were suggesting they help- when several courts have agreed it is in his best interests to let the little boy die with dignity. I feel sorry for him as he may be in pain and it is unfair to add further to false hope for the parents as well. I also feel that many, many people has awful situations where babies die, sadly, for example stillbirths and other cases which are just un-heard and un-noticed and people have to deal with it, so why is there such a huge focus here.

OP posts:
Ellie56 · 08/07/2017 17:04

I think poor Connie is so distraught with grief that she is unable to see the truth about Charlie even when it is staring her in the face. It is all so sad.

Laiste · 08/07/2017 17:14

Exactly Ellie. When you're deep in the woods it's hard to see clearly. But this weird attitude of so many hangers on ... i don't understand.

Maudlinmaud · 08/07/2017 17:24

I don't understand either. I'm not a Facebook user and have read threads on here about the site with interest. It seems huns are actually a breed of people. I thought it was a jokey reference until I looked at the CA Facebook page.
It takes all types doesn't it. But social media has given lots of people a platform to have their say, I don't think that's entirely positive. The irony of my own post isn't lost on me.

AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 18:18

This is the first time I have felt compelled to comment on this situation. I have been following this over the last week and I'm becoming more and more alarmed at what is going on.

I say this with great unease because I feel for any parent or family member watching a child die from a terminal illness but I'm becoming really disturbed by some of the behaviour being played out on social media.
I get the whole raising awareness thing, but this has gone so far beyond the line I'm losing sympathy fast and so are people I've spoke to about it. The people they are choosing to surround themselves with is quite alarming.

Have any of you seen his posts and gofundme page?? He is lobbying to defund planned parenthood Shock and believes it is the start of a revolution. He has also been associating the Charlie guard case as part of that revolution. He has also been posting that GOSH taking this back to court is a result of his and his congregation praying. He has been personally invited by the parent of this poor boy and is with them now and posing for photos.

One of the main 'campaigners'on the CA FB page has been doing live feeds discussing the 'fight' and giving psychic readings to the 'Army' at the same time Shock and another one is a 17 year old teenager who seems more interested in popularity than anything else..

One other thing I have noticed is all the gushing about feeling like part of a family and meeting people across the world. I think this is one of the main drivers to this hysteria. It's being a part of something that they think they understand (being a parent, love etc) because let's face it, 99% of CA wouldn't understand the complexities of politics, oppression and genuine injustices in this world.

AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 18:20

My third paragraph forgot to mention that's it's the Pastor from America I'm talking about

Sashkin · 08/07/2017 18:54

Alabama, I agree with your concerns. I worry that Charlie and the family have been hijacked to make money for some of their hangers-on. I can hardly imagine that the parents are thinking up tacky shit like Charlie-branded airfreaheners while they are sitting at their son's bedside. And yet somebody has come up with that idea, and is flogging it. Plus all of the GoFundMes for legal costs and the US pastor's airfare. It leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.

It really reminds me of this poor kid. She's profoundly disabled, but is wheeled out to make money for a group of unrelated "carers" who have attached themselves to her mother, and are selling "$500 Healing Laser Pointers" and "Spiritual Foot-Spas". It started when she was a small child. It is absolutely gross. One of my uni friends and her husband are two of her "carers" (no caring background, one is an out of work actor, the other used to work in PR but now is "a Kundalini Guru". We've cut contact because their behaviour is so revolting.

It seems very likely to me that CA is being directed by similar people who really do not care about Charlie at all (note I do NOT mean the parents - as I say, they have far bigger problems on their plate, and are ripe for exploitation due to their current emotional vulnerability).

sparechange · 08/07/2017 19:02

sash
And even more galling - the legal team have said publicly that they are doing to work pro bono as they see it as an important landmark case
So where on Earth is this money going?

GabsAlot · 08/07/2017 19:04

thats just sick sash isnt it- i hat this freak show stuff an bloody evangelists thinking they can heal people

Tupperwarelid · 08/07/2017 19:09

I find it all desperately sad too. The CA are like a mob baying for blood. Someone has posted the American pastor has not been allowed to visit Charlie, although I cannot work out who this person is or how she knows. Further down it appears he had been allowed in but all the comments are so anti GOSH it's awful. My son was very poorly as a baby but was admitted to Kings liver department. It would break my heart if the staff there were talked about in the same way. I wish this could be settled with some dignity rather than insults and accusations

Doubledottvremote · 08/07/2017 19:14

Why are these complete randoms allowed in to an intensive care unit when it's usually only close family and friends? Sometimes only immediate fanily too. Are they getting round it by saying he's their religious person? That fb page say Trump is on his way and is going in to visit him. Is be fucking raging if my child was in icu and Donald fucking Trump was posing for photos at the bed opposite.

Fancythat69 · 08/07/2017 19:16

I cant keep myself from looking at the CA page on facebook- latest is the american pastor was initially denied entry to pray over charlie - one press release later - now this. Im sick of the endless pressure the staff are being put under, on top of everything else they are dealing with.

Charlie Gard case
AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 19:16

The problem with that page though is that it is very selective of what content it allows. So no reasonable discussion about the treatment but vile comments directed towards GOSH and Theresa May (although not a fan myself) is allowed. I read some awful comments about her and they were left to stand. The page is moderated heavily and the family is part of that, in particular the aunt. She has been putting posts on there regarding the merchandise and encouraging people to donate to the mothers personal bank account. She did just that today. So not only are complete strangers jumping on the bandwagon for their own agenda, close family members are doing it. I don't know what to think about the parents and I want to believe that they are so distressed that they're not thinking properly but the family members doing it makes me doubt them I'm sorry to say.

AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 19:23

Fancy - absolutely. The fucking circus going on in that paediatric ICU is abhorrent. Posing for photos left, right and centre. Using that poor baby as a prop with passports and wearing an American flag style babygro, press and now random prolifers wanting in on the publicity.

I don't know how the staff are keeping their cool in that situation but they deserve a fucking medal

Maudlinmaud · 08/07/2017 19:27

Cannot believe this. That poor wee creature. This is horribly exploitive. Delete away HQ.

TheFairyCaravan · 08/07/2017 19:31

Someone has posted on CA that Donald Trump is flying to London to speak to Theresa May about trade deals so they should get tweeting about getting him to visit Charlie. Hmm

They are so thick they haven't got a brain cell between them. They obviously haven't heard of the G20 summit or the fact that Trump's visit here is postponed. I honestly don't know how they function Day to day.

Doubledottvremote · 08/07/2017 19:31

I see he now has a blanket to hide the fact the poor child is terribly bloated. Poor little boy.

Fancythat69 · 08/07/2017 19:31

This is the statement that was released after the initial refusal

Breaking news: Great Ormond Street Hospital denies clergy visit to Charlie Gard!

Charlie's parents Connie and Chris invited Rev. Patrick Mahoney, pastor of Church on the Hill and Director of the Christian Defense Coalition in Washington DC, to pray for Charlie as part of a team that came to London from America. But this afternoon, Rev. Mahoney was told by hospital officials that he was not permitted to go into Charlie's room to pray at the 11-month-old child's bedside.

Reverend Patrick Mahoney says:

"It is an outrage that Great Ormond Steet Hospital has denied a pastor from praying for Charlie Gard and offering spiritual help to his family. I was invited by Charlie's parents Connie and Chris to come from America to pray for Charlie, and it is stunning that I was denied from doing this. In forty years of pastoral ministry, I have never once been denied the right to pray over a patient in a hospital. This continues to show Great Ormond Street Hospital's disregard for the wishes of Charlie's parents. First the hospital denies care, and now they deny prayer."

Charlie's mother Connie Yates says:

"I am heartbroken that after we invited Rev. Mahoney to come to England and pray for our son Charlie, Great Ormond Street Hospital has turned him away. Once again, the hospital doesn't care about Chris and my wishes."

Attorney Catherine Glenn Foster, President & CEO of Americans United for Life, says:

"It is completely unprecedented that Great Ormond Street Hospital, hired to care for Charlie Gard, is not only trying to deny him care, but now also is denying him prayer. This is what happens when we lose track of who we are as a society, and institute laws that promote death rather than life."

For more information, contact the team at:
(540) 538-4741

JaneEyre70 · 08/07/2017 19:35

That photo just shows how murky the waters are now that Chris and Connie have created, with their army of huns.

Fancythat69 · 08/07/2017 19:35

I see he now has a blanket to hide the fact the poor child is terribly bloated. Poor little boy.

Hes being described as a "little tank" over on CA, i really must stop reading the nonsense they are spouting, as its making me angrier and angrier

AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 19:36

Who the hell does that Pastor think he is??

AlabamaShakes · 08/07/2017 19:38

And that Catherine Geln Foster is an anti abortion lobbyist too so she can fuck off.

Delete away MN HQ

TheFairyCaravan · 08/07/2017 19:40

I feel so, so sorry for the staff at GOSH. Imagine being faced with this circus every shift? And they still have all those other precious, sick babies and children to look after. It's just awful for them.

Pemba · 08/07/2017 19:40

I don't want to judge the parents as obviously they are living an absolute nightmare which (thank God) I have never had anything even close to deal with myself. But I don't think they are doing the right thing, and pps could well be right, that there are others behind the scenes manipulating this.

And if that baby is in constant pain, then it's just really cruel to continue life support now. Poor, poor little thing.

GabsAlot · 08/07/2017 19:43

bloody trump wants to visit now ffs

Tupperwarelid · 08/07/2017 19:44

Thanks Shakes, I wondered who she is and how she knew he hadn't been allowed in

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.