Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To tell my neighbours their bonkers?

343 replies

Sparklyshoes16 · 04/07/2017 18:27

We've bought a house and absolutely love it and spending a lot of time and effort doing it up on the inside...as the weather is good we've decided to turn our attention to the garden and start clearing the jungle of overgrown bushes etc...as soon as we bought it we spoke to the neighbours and made it clear that we would be putting new fences up (matching the existing ones as our neighbour had taken out some panels) and getting the tree chopped back...the tree root is near the boundary but on their side...we had some people come round to give us a quote on how much to get the tree chopped back and to clear the garden etc our neighbour decided to come out and give them what for telling them it's a friendship tree and no one will be touching it as she hangs xmas tree lights up on it (there was non this Xmas just gone). I didn't actually know what to say so just smiled and said erm well no we discussed this and you agreed to have it chopped back and cut down a little and then ushered the garden people away from the mad woman...we know we have no legal standing on her cutting some of it down but according to her we can't make her cut it back either? We've checked the deeds over incased we'd missed something (we had already done that before we purchased) AIBU to tell her she's bonkers and to mind her own business? We've had no problems so far and always gone round to apologise for any builders noise but she has completely flipped on this...any advice?

OP posts:
MissionItsPossible · 04/07/2017 18:41

Their bonkers what?

Wink

Sorry OP but I don't have any actual advice.

TitaniasCloset · 04/07/2017 18:47

Its a lovely tree.

ExplodedCloud · 04/07/2017 18:48

So it's her tree? And you want to cut it right back the boundary which is pretty much half of it?

Lucked · 04/07/2017 18:51

My understanding is you can cut back branches to the boundary line.

However It is a nice tree, if you cut it back to your boundary you will have a pretty ugly view of twigs and the inside of the tree.

SenoritaViva · 04/07/2017 18:52

The tree belongs to her, you can't make her cut it down. You can cut it back on your side but that would make a weird half tree!

HipsterHunter · 04/07/2017 18:52

I think you are super U - you either want to cut her tree down (which is nasty) or cut it vertically in half up to the boundary line (which is bonkers).

Aquamarine1029 · 04/07/2017 18:52

I gather part of the tree growth is over the line and hanging in your property? Is that right?

BrieOnAnOatcake · 04/07/2017 18:53

it's a lovely tree and looks good in the garden! I'd leave it.

tccat · 04/07/2017 18:55

It looks beautiful between the two gardens, why not just enjoy it?

LIZS · 04/07/2017 18:55

Leave it. If you trimmed your side it would be very woody.

MarcelineTheVampire · 04/07/2017 18:55

Is it me, or is neither of those gardens overgrown- OP which one is yours?

OP YABU, if you cut it back it will look truly rubbish- I think it's lovely!

superram · 04/07/2017 18:56

You can cut it back-but not if it causes damage to the tree. You are on fishy ground cutting that back. It's hardly imposing on you and it lovely-she keeps it nice, not too tall. These things never end well and I think you would lose out on all counts if things get nasty.

superram · 04/07/2017 18:56

Dodgy not fishy!

Seeingadistance · 04/07/2017 18:56

I'm not a great fan of conifers, but that's a lovely tree and it would make no sense to cut it back.

Bluntness100 · 04/07/2017 18:57

You can't cut down her fucking tree, it's illegal. You're the bonkers one...

RhiWrites · 04/07/2017 18:57

Cut that in half and it will never grow back. It will look vile.

Sunshinegirls · 04/07/2017 18:57

Leave the poor tree alone! It's a nice one, and it's small. It's not obstructing your view, or light, or littering your garden with anything. I don't see why you would want to hack away at it tbh

flickerty · 04/07/2017 18:58

She's not bonkers. It's a lovely tree! It will look awful - from your side of the garden- if it's cut in half. What are you thinking?!?! Confused

charlestonchaplin · 04/07/2017 19:00

What's lovely about it? And if that's a tree it's a midget tree. She should have planted it in a more sensible location.

SabineUndine · 04/07/2017 19:00

I'm in the process of having my back garden cleared this week. My horrible neighbours on one side have a very beautiful tree that leans right over into my garden. I have instructed the gardeners to leave it alone. I would quite like to prune it a little, but it's a nice mature tree and it's not worth upsetting my neighbours about. In your case, OP, that is a very well maintained ornamental evergreen. I would leave it be.

DancingLedge · 04/07/2017 19:02

"The tree is near the boundary, but on her side"
So its her tree.

Best solved by patient respectful negotiations, not just telling her what's what.
If you cut 'your' side back you may end up with a bare, browning thing.
And an upset neighbour.
And if you accidentally kill her tree, some legal liability.

SprinklesandIcecream · 04/07/2017 19:05

I think OP wants it cut back for her fencing. I can see why if they want complete privacy. It is a lovely tree though and would not like the look of it half chopped off.

But your choice OP. YWNBU to cut the overhanging side in your garden.

Wawawaa · 04/07/2017 19:05

YABU. It will look super weird to chop it in half and it's a nice tree that doesn't appear to be causing any mess issues. What an odd thing to suggest chopping it in half.

SweetEnough · 04/07/2017 19:06

I am no gardener (I can kill anything green from 20 paces, just by looking at it) but the tree looks lovely. I would want my garden fully enclosed though, and can see your issue.

As it's overhanging the boundary could it be uprooted and moved into her side of the boundary line? I don't know if it would even be possible but it's worth asking to avoid ruining the tree.

Mysterycat23 · 04/07/2017 19:06

Bloody weird place for an ornamental bush.

OP sounds like you plan to cut off your half of the bush and reinstate the fence panel that would have gone there?

YANBU to cut back the bush and reinstate the fence.

If you leave the top half of the bush alone, above the fence, it will still look nice from your side of the fence.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.