My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To feel a bit shit that nobody sponsored me?

349 replies

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 19:35

I signed up to do the 10,000 steps a day thing for Cancer Research. I put my fundraising page on FB, Twitter but not one person has sponsored me. I know money's tight for most of us at the moment, but to not raise even a penny makes me feel shit. AIBU to take it so personally?

OP posts:
TheFatOfTheLand · 24/06/2017 20:22

@1ofthesedays I know that a lot of them give the jumps for free as long as a certain amount of sponsorship is raised. Therefore (imo) the person is effectively getting a free experience courtesy of the money donated by others.

LiveLongAndProspero · 24/06/2017 20:22

Nest of vipers - 10k steps is NOT normal for most people

Yes but the fact that most people hardly move does not make normal movement somehow worth cash!

TheFatOfTheLand · 24/06/2017 20:23

"Jump for FREE

In return for raising a minimum amount of sponsorship money a charity will pay for your jump and training and receive a sizable donation from your efforts at the same time! The minimum amounts you will be asked to raise differ from charity to charity but on average they are as follows:

Tandem Skydive: £395*
Static Line Square: £360
Accelerated Freefall: £535

From these sums the charity will receive an average donation of £140 and you will receive your parachute jump for FREE!"

www.skylineparachuting.co.uk/charity-parachuting.aspx

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 20:24

the fact that most people hardly move does not make normal movement somehow worth cash!

Yes I do realise that - that wasn't what I was commenting on.

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 20:24

Mumsnet really is vile sometimes.

Actually quite often.

frasersmummy · 24/06/2017 20:25

so if people are very inactive and then get off their bum and do something about it and set a target of 2/3 times what they normally do...is that not an achievement that should be applauded rather than slated as just being the norm as this seems to be what people on here are telling the op

Bishybarnybee · 24/06/2017 20:25

Aw, bless you OP.

I will sponsor most people because I think it is good to give even if it isn't a cause particularly close to my heart. But I probably wouldn't sponsor someone to do the 10K steps because I wouldn't think it was that much of an effort. But if it was a huge effort for you, well done.

If you pm me the link I will sponsor you!!

RocketPockets · 24/06/2017 20:26

OP I did this too and haven't had a single donation. I get that most people do 10,000 a day but to do 10,000 every single day in June including weekends I don't think everyone does. I've personally felt like I've done really well and most days I've done well over 10,000. On the last day of June I'm just going to do a nice donation in my name instead Smile

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 20:29

Ok I do try and sponsor my friends if they're doing something for a charity I feel I can support, whether I feel what they're doing is a worthy achievement or not, I see it as supporting them too if that makes sense. To be honest often I don't even look at what they're doing, just that they're trying to raise money for a worthwhile cause and that should be recognised. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

10,000 steps a day IS a challenge to me, whether some of the PP can do that many before breakfast or not. But I take the point about people trying to get sponsorship to pay for something they'd have to pay to do and would enjoy anyway. I'll chalk it up to experience and make a donation myself.

OP posts:
Migraleve · 24/06/2017 20:29

so if people are very inactive and then get off their bum and do something about it and set a target of 2/3 times what they normally do...is that not an achievement that should be applauded rather than slated as just being the norm as this seems to be what people on here are telling the op

That's your interpretation, but it's nowhere close to what I said or meant.

We don't know the OP normal level of activity. I don't know about anyone else but I was commenting generally about people doing 10k; it isn't a massive thing. Yes it may be for some, but not all.

Bishybarnybee · 24/06/2017 20:30

I didn't realise it was 10k steps a day all month - that actually would be an achievement for lots of people. And it's a win-win - you raise money for cancer and you reduce your own risk of some cancers by establishing a healthy walking habit. Well done OP. And ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Olddear · 24/06/2017 20:30

Oh OP, that's a shame! Do it in flippers, see if they'll cough up then!

aliasjoey · 24/06/2017 20:30

TheChineseChicken there are some alternatives to animal testing, and as science progresses these will increase. There are some charities, like the Hadwen Trust, which focus on these areas.

Xmasbaby11 · 24/06/2017 20:31

OP I can understand you'd be disappointed. It's obviously important to you and because of that you'd expect your friends and relatives to chip in. More than likely they forgot and didn't get round to it.

I think what pp are saying is true - so many people doing sponsored events these days and sometimes we just switch off and can't take it all in especially if it's on Facebook. It has to be something very special for people to notice. My friend did the same challenge as you and I didn't sponsor her I must admit. She is a mum or 3 and fit so I can't see it as a challenge. I do 12 to 15000 most days and I'm very obese and not fit.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom · 24/06/2017 20:32

I'm really glad a couple of you think TM is a walk in the park enjoyable day as recently I've had serious doubts about my ability to complete it despite being quite fit already & putting in 10 hour plus training a week &
paying for PT sessions Hmm So yes a bit of support for my chosen & very worthy, IMO, charity isn't a lot to ask really & no I don't own a halo-if anything I'll be going down, don't think they do Halos there...

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 20:33

OP I'll sponsor you - PM me your details. I'd've done it but I simply cannot pledge to do 10k steps a day. I manage it most days but not every day. Kudos to you if you can!

Sophiealice95 · 24/06/2017 20:33

Well f you have sponsored your friends and they have not reciprocated no wonder you are feeling upset op . I would let them know that you won't be sponsoring them anymore and will be supporting a charity of your choice from now on. I hope you feel happier soon it's not nice of them!

ragged · 24/06/2017 20:35

Say something constructive, maybe a useful suggestions, rather than a chorus of "we don't find 10k impressive" (full stop).

I prefer the honesty of posters who say the are bored of sponsorship requests as their excuse.

the thing about FB not showing some posts to anybody is a problem, too.

Bluntness100 · 24/06/2017 20:35

I sponsor people when it's a charity that means something very personal to them or the effort is to be applauded. 10k steps a day is the average that everyone should be aiming for, many do more, many do less. Unless, you had lost someone close to cancer op, and I'm sorry if you have, I wouldn't sponsor you for 10 k steps a day.

A historically overweight and unfit colleague lost his father to cancer and recently ran a marathon and asked for sponsorship for cancer research. That I sponsored. He did it too. The effort he put in was huge and he was doing it for something that was very personal to him.

I wouldn't sponsor someone just doing randomly 10k steps a day, I'd just give the money to the charity of my choice directly. Sorry.

LiveLongAndProspero · 24/06/2017 20:36

Mumsnet really is vile sometimes

Sure. This isn't that though.

Fab39ish · 24/06/2017 20:37

Yanbu. I did a 10k night walk with my 10 Year old Dd for a hospice my MIL spent her last days and not even my SIL sponsored us.
I ended up making a donation myself.
Will probably to the same this year

TitsalinaBumSquash · 24/06/2017 20:37

I don't personally sponsor anyone but that's because we have a charity that is really, personally important to us in the family so every spare penny goes to them. I don't think it's a snub to you OP.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

rightwhine · 24/06/2017 20:38

Tbf I wouldn't think 10k steps is worthy of sponsoring. Everyone I know is doing it to be fitter and healthier rather than specifically doing it for a good cause

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 20:39

I did 28000 steps yesterday

What on earth reason is there to post that except to make the OP feel an inch high???

Bishybarnybee · 24/06/2017 20:39

Seriously, do pm anyone on here who has offered to sponsor you.

You tried in your own small way to do something to make the world a better place.You literally got off your arse and did something positive.

The power of mumsnet could help you do that. There could still be a positive outcome from your disappointing experience.

Do it!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.