My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To feel a bit shit that nobody sponsored me?

349 replies

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 19:35

I signed up to do the 10,000 steps a day thing for Cancer Research. I put my fundraising page on FB, Twitter but not one person has sponsored me. I know money's tight for most of us at the moment, but to not raise even a penny makes me feel shit. AIBU to take it so personally?

OP posts:
TheFatOfTheLand · 24/06/2017 21:13

@MyGhast I hear what you're saying and I think it's shit that close friends and family haven't sponsored you. If you were a good friend or relative of mine then I'd sponsor you just for getting out of bed!

I think it's compassion fatigue as mentioned earlier. Too many people doing sponsored 'whatevers' plus the fundraising for victims of recent events.

You sound lovely and I hope your friends can find a few quid to acknowledge your efforts. Even if they don't, please console yourself with the fact that what you're doing will be of benefit to your health Flowers

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 21:15

Silvercatowner You're being ridiculous

You are a charmer.

DoJo · 24/06/2017 21:15

I tend not to sponsor these kinds of things because if the charity is one I'd normally support, then I'd rather pay them directly so that I can gift aid it and avoid the percentage that goes to Just Giving or whoever collects the funds.

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 21:15

I'd sponsor you just for getting out of bed!

I guess that's what I'm feeling disappointed about, I would do that too.
Chin up, a lovely poster has just sponsored me so it's achieved something. I will double my efforts for the last week!

OP posts:
1ofthesedays · 24/06/2017 21:23

surely £1 isn't that hard to spare?

For most people, of course it isn't, but I would be embarrassed to only give a pound, it feels a bit insulting? Probably wrongly, but I find it easier to ignore or just say no thank you, I can't sponsor you than giving you so little.

I don't know how you fundraise, I never take any money myself it always go straight to whatever thing I am raising for, but if you haven't done so, it might be worth explaining the effort it takes you, and to ask for even £1? It might encourage people to give?

Gemini69 · 24/06/2017 21:29

I never sponsor these self indulgent events ....

I run alot of 10k's ... 5k's with my kids... but they are exactly that... self indulgent... we enjoy them... so I donate personally from my own purse... x

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 21:33

Self indulgent? Really? Sometimes I despair. Now isn't particularly one of those times by I've had a couple of glasses of wine and have developed a taste for the over dramatic. There was me thinking I was trying to do a good thing.

OP posts:
sysysysref · 24/06/2017 21:37

I don't sponsor people unless they're v close family doing something special and I never ever sponsor for cancer research, I believe that there are so many small charities working on the ground who really need and benefit from the money and I put my money there.

Bishybarnybee · 24/06/2017 21:37

DoJo
I tend not to sponsor these kinds of things because if the charity is one I'd normally support, then I'd rather pay them directly so that I can gift aid it and avoid the percentage that goes to Just Giving or whoever collects the funds.

Cancer research collect for themselves and offer a giftaid donation option on the site. With paypal if you want to speed it up.

So anyone who wasn't going to give but after reading the thread feels they might quite like to as it's a good cause and hey, sometimes you read posts on here and start thinking it might be fun to do the opposite.......should just message the OP.

SunnyCoco · 24/06/2017 21:39

OP I think it's mean, no matter how hard / easy the challenge, at the end of the day it's for cancer research!
Money is tight for me but I would ALWAYS sponsor a friend or family who bothers to try to help others.
Keep you head up - it says more about them than about you x

2rebecca · 24/06/2017 21:39

Why does getting other people to give money to a charity that you have chosen make you feel the activity is more worthwhile and that people value you more?
If it's about improving your fitness and self esteem then why not just tell them how far you've walked and how much better you feel and leave it up to them what they do with their money?
I'm on Strava and my friends and club mates give each other virtual pats on the back for our activities, more pats on the back or kudos if it's a big achievement.
Money doesn't need to be involved.
I give money to charity because I want to and I like to choose my own charities.

Italiangreyhound · 24/06/2017 21:39

YANBU. I have no idea how many steps I take a day.

When I sponsor people it is the charity I want to give to, not the amount of effort you or anyone else is putting in.

Cancer effects one in three people I think, why would they not want to support that charity!

GoodForgetter · 24/06/2017 21:40

I did this too mygast , with a friend, and we didn't get too much sponsorship either.
TBH I expected that, it just isn't that big a challenge for a lot of people.
But for us it was. We both have office jobs and small children. School run and mad dash to the office in the morning, repeat in the afternoon and then stuck in all evening cos the kids are in bed doesn't leave much time to add steps into the day that aren't naturally there. It may seem inconceivable to people with more active jobs and lifestyles but there you go.
Also, for me (with my short legs) 10k steps is about 5km - so basically I've done a race for life every day for a month.

I sponsor people who are raising money for a cause I'd donate to anyway, or close friends.
Acquaintances on FB - not a chance.

Bishybarnybee · 24/06/2017 21:40

Oops, should have previewed that, first part should have been bold.

thisagain · 24/06/2017 21:48

Someone at work was raising funds for his severely autistic granddaughter's special education. He sent round an email with a link and I was the only person out of about 40 who sponsored him. He was popular but people are busy and that sort of thing so easy to ignore - often with the best intentions. Some one later at work did another sponsorship and was surprised how people ignored email/requests to be sponsored. I reminded him that he too had ignored the first one.

ETAtomorrowsometime · 24/06/2017 21:56

I agree that people have sponsor fatigue. I just looked at my fb feed (100-ish friends) and in the past month- like literally the past 4 weeks or so I have been asked to donate to the following;
-sponsored walk
-sponsored swim
-sponsored hair cut
-sponsored sailing day

and in the past 12 months or so I have had requests for a marathon or two, a cycling trip in Sth East asia etc, a great wall of china walk etc. (those are the biggies).

i have monthly direct debits to the food bank, to an autism society, and a wild life society. I feel quite secure in my charitable giving status. (Plus I work for an international charity so feel like my professional life is pretty on target also).

I don't have alot of disposable income, but tend not to donate to stuff outside what I already do, tbh.

ETAtomorrowsometime · 24/06/2017 22:01

So my point is, (which I managed to omit!) is that people might feel their money is already designated, and it is not personal against you, IYSWIM.

And there is so much on fb anyway it is easy for things to get lost.

Gemini69 · 24/06/2017 22:03

it IS self indulgent... if it's not.. then Pay for it yourself... provide your own donation.. and get running walking whatever x

crazykitten20 · 24/06/2017 22:03

My work colleague did 58,000 steps one day last week. No sponsorship. Just because he can.

LiveLongAndProspero · 24/06/2017 22:04

All this "heartless bastards won't support cancer research" can just fuck off. No, I wouldn't give you a tenner for your cancer research steps. I support three separate charities with monthly direct debits, as well as do proper fundraising for the one that has particular meaning for my family.
I give plenty of money to worthwhile causes, I don't need you judging me for not giving you cash for wandering about a bit. Hmm

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom · 24/06/2017 22:04

I also think people would rather just hand over a bit of cash in person, no idea why as justgiving is piss easy but I've found actual sponsor sheets get a better response.

1ofthesedays · 24/06/2017 22:06

it IS self indulgent... if it's not.. then Pay for it yourself... provide your own donation.. and get running walking whatever

Judgmental and very unfair.
I have raised amounts that I could never have given myself, I simply couldn't afford it. It's not self indulgent to try to do something.

It's easy to criticise, but what do you suggest instead? How would you raise money for someone who urgently needs it?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Duck90 · 24/06/2017 22:15

Crazykitten. Well done to him! How did you know about his achievement, I assume he told you? So looking for a reward of some sort.

Perhaps his step measure is very generous? Sometimes people sneeze and a trip to the loo, and then tell me that's another thousand steps. I really do wonder that some gadgets are telling fibs.

FatGirlWithChocolate · 24/06/2017 22:18

OP, you are not being unreasonable, I would be disappointed too. And, it doesn't matter what everyone else does, if 10,000 steps a day, every day, is an achievement for you then it's still a bloody achievement and you be proud of it. End of.

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 22:20

@LiveLongAndProspero
I hope you're not telling me to fuck off. I absolutely don't expect complete strangers to sponsor me. However, on the strength of this thread alone I've been sponsored by an amount I couldn't afford to give myself. And I hope none of my posts has come across begging for sponsorship. I just feel disappointed that none of my friends could sponsor me in this.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.