My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To feel a bit shit that nobody sponsored me?

349 replies

MyGastIsFlabbered · 24/06/2017 19:35

I signed up to do the 10,000 steps a day thing for Cancer Research. I put my fundraising page on FB, Twitter but not one person has sponsored me. I know money's tight for most of us at the moment, but to not raise even a penny makes me feel shit. AIBU to take it so personally?

OP posts:
Pumperthepumper · 24/06/2017 20:06

I think it's also to do with the time of year, there's loads going on just now with the nice weather and later nights. My husband gets 3-4 sponsor sheets passed around at work at least every week, you can't sponsor everyone. Plus, and sorry about this, but I agree that it's not much of a challenge.

TheFatOfTheLand · 24/06/2017 20:07

As has been said, I wouldn't sponsor someone to do their daily walking requirement.

I also don't sponsor any sky dive type of event as the cost of providing them with the experience probably outweighs any money they have coming in. If you want to sky dive then put your hand in your own fucking pocket to pay for it.

I sponsored some friends to do a 5k walk as they were fund raising for a cause close to their (and my) hearts plus one of the people has mobility issues so it was a real achievement for them.

MarciaBlaine · 24/06/2017 20:08

I am old and fat and can still manage 10000 steps a day. I have friends who do all kinds of these events and never ask for sponsorship. I give money to charity but prefer to choose myself where I want to give money. I hate FB guilt trips.

Crashbangwhatausername · 24/06/2017 20:08

I donate what I consider to be a huge amount of money given my current financial situation as an NHS barely funded student to charity. I do my best to support anyone I know making a big effort to complete challenges such as marathons complete by non runners or to those affected personally by something but the line needs to be drawn somewhere and 10,000 steps a day wouldn't cut it for me I'm afraid, good for you for doing it and I can completely understand how you feel as it must feel like a personal rejection but my advice would be to go forward and apply for a big challenge and make a point of not raising any money this time so you want to try harder. Everyone loves a trier.

Yogagirl123 · 24/06/2017 20:08

That is a shame OP, DH and I were only talking tonight about a 5k fun run he did a couple of years back to raise funds for the MS Society (I have MS) he is a member of a private golf club, it went up in the club notice board, in the clubs newsletter, only ONE person offered to sponsor him for £10! Needless to say he never saw the money, he only managed to raised around £250, he raised the money via family mainly. Well done for trying anyway OP.

frasersmummy · 24/06/2017 20:09

Ignore the smug 10,000 steps is nothing posts, yes if you are a nurse on a busy ward or some such I'm guessing it's part of what you do..but the NHS says most people do 3 -4k a day.
I0,000 k a day is a lot. I have a big walk to get to my office and back to the train so on a work day I hit it no bother. But I only do that 3 days a week. The rest of the week I have to make the effort to go out and do it
So yes it's shit people didn't sponsor you but there are so many calls for sponsorship..cancer research gets a lot of attention. Sometimes choosing a lesser known charity will help.

Anyway 10k is great ..well done you..if nothing else it will help you..

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon · 24/06/2017 20:09

I suffer with arthritis all over my body and even I can do 10k a day (ok it has to be a good day but I can still do it) so no, I wouldn't sponsor for this.

Maybe sign up for something a bit more challenging then you may get sponsors

LiveLongAndProspero · 24/06/2017 20:10

Ignore the smug 10,000 steps is nothing posts

No, really don't. It may be above what many people do, but its by no means an impressive achievment for anyone.

1ofthesedays · 24/06/2017 20:11

I also don't sponsor any sky dive type of event as the cost of providing them with the experience probably outweighs any money they have coming in. If you want to sky dive then put your hand in your own fucking pocket to pay for it.

What make you think they don't? Genuine question, neither I or any of my friend take money from donations to finance whatever event we're doing, the funds go straight to a special account, we never take a penny. It's hard sometimes to think about something to invite people to give money, but when a friends' baby is dying or a child is severely disable (or any other good cause), you try anything to help, even if it's not much, it's better than nothing.

TheChineseChicken · 24/06/2017 20:11

Terfing how on earth do you propose that research into treatments for disease should be conducted without animal testing Hmm? Would you prefer that we go straight into testing on humans?

saoirse31 · 24/06/2017 20:11

I wouldn't sponsor someone who hadn't made the effort to actually ask me personally tbh.

Sophiealice95 · 24/06/2017 20:11

Do you sponsor others OP?
If you have then you need to tag them into the post , time for them to return the favour.

bridgetreilly · 24/06/2017 20:13

I've never understood why we're expected to give to charity when other people choose to do things they want to do. Run a marathon, climb Everest, do whatever you want, but I'll make my own choices about where I want to give my money, thanks.

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 24/06/2017 20:14

10k would be a major achievement for me, I usually average 4K a day! I agree with sponsorship fatigue though, and I'm very choosy about which charities I give money to.

Duck90 · 24/06/2017 20:14

Well if the op only normally manages, say 4000 a day, then managing to change lifestyle for a whole month to reach 10000 is great.

Op did you reach your target?

ragged · 24/06/2017 20:15

Reads like you guys want to make OP feel bad all over again. :(
How many people do you know on FB, OP? Remember Facebook filters our posts so it can be hard for anyone to have seen you were trying to raise money for charity.

I just don't like sponsored activity charity things, sorry. It's not personal, I dislike them all except when done by children, and even then my tolerance/generosity is thin.

LiveLongAndProspero · 24/06/2017 20:16

Reads like you guys want to make OP feel bad all over again

What do you want people to say? "Aw hun they are all just mean bitches, everyone should give you money for trying, poor you"?

Ollivander84 · 24/06/2017 20:16

LiveLong - for some people it is though. My current steps are 3000-4000 a day and that's a struggle. To do 10,000 would be a massive achievement for me at the minute

1ofthesedays · 24/06/2017 20:16

bridgetreilly I can only speaking for my group of friends, we never expect you to do anything, we just try to raise awareness and get people to give money to a cause close to our hearts. By doing something walking running marathon or others, we try to put ourselves out there and encourage others to give something when they see our efforts.

Most people recognise the efforts and tend to give, or to give more when you show some kind of efforts.

Mistoffelees · 24/06/2017 20:17

I already give monthly to two charities close to my heart and will send a text donation if I see something I particularly want to support. I always used to sponsor my friend when she did Race for Life and ask me in person but now I usually see requests on Facebook through Just Giving when I'm settled down on the settee or in bed and I'd have to get up to get my purse for card details so I don't end up bothering.

AnotherAlias · 24/06/2017 20:18

I can't understand the whole sponsorship thing - why are people supposed be more motivated to give money to charity just because someone else is doing a challenge? Why would the cause be more worthy because someone is running 5k than it was before they decided to run 5k?
Especially if they lead you to a fundraising website that creams off a percentage of your donation - if you donated direct to the charity the whole amount would go to the charity.

HollyBollyBooBoo · 24/06/2017 20:18

If I'm honest I'm so sick of all the sponsorship requests. Whilst I very much admire people who do something truly arduous I'm not sponsoring walking or even running a marathon.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Migraleve · 24/06/2017 20:19

Lots of people do 3-4000 but that doesn't mean 10k is a lot. It means those people are VERY inactive.

I sponsor most of my fb friends when they put a link up, but I have to say I would raise an eyebrow at someone wanting sponsored to do a mediocre thing like that.

Sorry it's not been what you wanted to hear; but for sponsorship you need to be doing more

chitofftheshovel · 24/06/2017 20:19

I have a policy of not sponsoring through a third party, like just giving. I feel it's abhorrent that a company profits through charitable donations.
I also think very carefully about the chosen charity and where the money will actually go.

Silvercatowner · 24/06/2017 20:21

Nest of vipers - 10k steps is NOT normal for most people.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.