My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to ask your advice on wether it's worth taking my Neighbours from hell to court?

658 replies

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 21/06/2017 21:04

I've had threads on here about my neighbours from hell.
We've been threatened, sworn at harassed and our visitors harassed.
We have involved the police who initially wanted to issue a harassment order against said neighbours but were overruled by their superior officer who said " it never ends well in neighbour disputes" Confused
The actual abuse has reduced significantly though we still endure low level harassment.
I'm keeping notes etc as recommended by the police.
I've pushed for mediation and have met with the mediator however neighbours are stalling and I doubt very much they will attend.
Currently the favourite form of harassment is to park their vehicles to make it quite difficult for me to park. I can get in and I can get out but I do dread weekends and I dread coming home as I'm always so anxious about what they will have done and will I be able to get in ok etc.
I have checked my deeds and they are blocking my "easement ' and it states in the deeds that no one is allowed to do anything to hinder another's ingress and egress.
Currently the neighbours are freely enjoying and utilising the easement I honour and provide them with on my land.
So- Aibu to consider starting legal proceedings or am I just feeding into their crazy?
What would you do?

OP posts:
Totallyattheendofmyrope · 22/06/2017 08:21

All the hard work to remain white will be undone as soon as I retaliate in anyway.
I've put up CCTV as you all suggested after the last incident and the PSCO is now involved....I believe this is the only reason twats are trying to contain themselves and if I put a foot wrong they will use it as an excuse to go to town.

OP posts:
Mustang27 · 22/06/2017 08:22

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nannybeach · 22/06/2017 08:23

neighbourhood disputes rarely end well, its a horrible situation, unfortunately, if you sell you have to declaire this and I would have thought it would put most buyers off, I have had horrible and bad neighbours in the past, luckily, we were mostly renting, so there was an end in site. You do not want to end up stepnding thousands of your own money on this, it is incredibly difficult, but if you can park elsewhere, let them get into their own mess attempting to park their own cars.

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 22/06/2017 08:26

I wish I knew how to link to my other thread...

They do not seem to care how they appear. The parking is very obviously and visually outrageous and very obviously deliberate. I think they are trying to shame us and highlight us as the problem as they don't park that way when they think we are away

OP posts:
TheMaddHugger · 22/06/2017 08:32

I live in Oz, so no help to you there but this forum www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=ee06c11972b30f611df81f5d55f34ac0

Adelino · 22/06/2017 08:38

Any chance of a diagram OP?
Can't quite get my head around how they are getting in the way of you but not your nice neighbors. If it is how I imagine it, could you leave your car sort of hanging of the end of your parking space to make it easier for you to get out once in?

cdtaylornats · 22/06/2017 08:47

There is a device called a caltrop, best made by twisting two 6 inch nails together.

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 22/06/2017 08:49

How they park means nice neighbours cant reverse in front of their own property to pull out of the parking area front. Currently they reverse out onto the road onto a zebra crossing. Nice neighbours have always done this even prior to the twats parking this way so they haven't inconvenienced them.

OP posts:
origamiwarrior · 22/06/2017 08:49

I'm thinking laterally here for a solution that will ease your stress, and satisfy your DH that you are not 'giving in' to the bullies.

So, how about using your actual parking space(s) on your property for something else altogether, so you have no need to use the shared driveway? i.e. turn into a garden, a basketball court for your kids, put a summerhouse on it, offer long-term storage for a friends caravan/car. Then just park your car on the road. If you do that, you will (genuinely) have no need to use the driveway day to day, so a) your stress will lift and b) it will take the wind right out of their sails.

origamiwarrior · 22/06/2017 08:52

Or do the un-taxed car thing - keep that in your parking space as a legitimate reason why you now park on the road and have no use of the shared driveway.

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 22/06/2017 09:03

I would actually do that if I could get it past dh/ he would be horrified at the suggestion.
The thing is I can get in and out but it is easier for me to reverse and they object to me reversing.
I stopped reversing in for a while hoping it would appease them but it did make them worse culminating with the incident with the father in law. Everyday the seem to attempt some new way to make it difficult and now I'm at a point where I'm fearful I won't be able to reverse in and they will see that and become emboldened again and que another escalation Sad
I know it's a terrible way to think but it's where I am mentally ... last night I wouldn't go get milk , I've taken to rearranging my whole life to leave when they'll be out and I resist leaving the house at weekends because I dread coming home.

OP posts:
AlternativeTentacle · 22/06/2017 09:14

Let's see a new diagram of how they are parking now. If I remember correctly they didn't like you reversing onto their bit. Alternatively buy a fiat 500, you can turn on a penny in them.

YoureNotASausage · 22/06/2017 09:19

Avoid court at all costs. It never ends without great financial cost and huge emotional stress.

Passive aggressive parking wouldn't go well as the topic of a court case.

Redsippycup · 22/06/2017 09:22

I remember your previous thread - 3 driveways with a jointly owned square between them for turning.

How are they parking now? Iirc they were parking up against the line of their boundry in the square bit? Are they still on their property?

Did you get rid of your hedge in the end - you were thinking that might give you enough room to turn further up the drive?

I like Origami's idea. You only really need a basket ball hoop and pole to make it obvious you aren't using the drive for cars anymore.

MaryPoppinsPenguins · 22/06/2017 09:24

Yes, not for group entertainment purposes, but can you draw a diagram?

I really feel for you OP. You sound at your wits end! Flowers

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday · 22/06/2017 09:27

Why don't they like you reversing in? How can they possibly dictate how you enter your driveway?Confused

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 22/06/2017 09:27

Mmmm you all are speaking sense...so here is my issue.
They are blocking my easement and being anti social twats. But I still can get in and out so court won't help and I'll end up looking petty.
As long as I live here (for minimum 2years) I have to be mentally prepared for the fact that they will actively harass me. Their visitors will park in my space...their builders will block me in (1full hour last week)...how do I get myself in a healthy mental state to deal with this so it doesn't take over my life?
All services say ... nobody wins back away...but I am and I have..I am not part of the giant pissing competition there is no tit for tat.
What are my options???

OP posts:
IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday · 22/06/2017 09:27

Yes you do sound at your wits end, must be horrible for you.

BangkokBlues · 22/06/2017 09:30

Is it possible to just park on the road a few mins away? I KNOW that is shit and not why you got a house with drive, but maybe the inconvenience willl be better than the mental stress of dealing with the twats?

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday · 22/06/2017 09:30

'How can I get myself mentally prepared for the fact they will actively harass me?'
I would park on the road and put up plant pots etc around your parking spaces, so you don't have to worry about them blocking you in and by putting up pots, they will not be able to use your spaces.

Can you park easily on the road?

AlternativeTentacle · 22/06/2017 09:33

Yes what woods said. Park on road and plant pots. Fuck them right off.

Syc4moreTrees · 22/06/2017 09:35

I was a conveyancing lawyer when i first qualified and i detest all forms of neighbour dispute. In my experience your side will write a letter and then their side will write a letter and then your side is stuck with a ridiculous tit for tat exchange which annoys them, annoys their colleague on the other side and eventually ends with no one happy, including your own client and you get bad mouthed for not solving a ridiculous problem that you had no hope of solving in the first place. If a firm took this on you would be landed with a junior dealing with it and it will be a waste of time. You will also have to disclose this issue if you sell.

from what you are saying they are making it difficult for you to park, but are not actually preventing you from parking. This is an important distinction.

The name calling and aggression is what you should pursue if you are going to do anything, but it will ultimately be your word against theirs. You would have to report all incidents to the police, and really as stressed as you obviously are, their behaviour would probably not have amounted to enough for you to have a decent chance at any court order

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Nanny0gg · 22/06/2017 09:35

What started all this?

What have you done (in their eyes) for them to behave this way?

Do they hate the other neighbours too? What's their take on it all?

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday · 22/06/2017 09:38

Whatever you do, please keep the CCTV up. If they do escalate and they break the law, you will have evidence.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny · 22/06/2017 09:46

Your neighbours sound delightful. If you have already complained to the Police about them spitting at you won't you have to declare this when you sell anyway? If that's the case you could think about a letter from a solicitor. I'm more inclined to ignore them, park elsewhere and let them burst a blood vessel over having to shuffle their cars around, if they see it isn't getting to you they just might grow up and stop doing it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.