My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to ask your advice on wether it's worth taking my Neighbours from hell to court?

658 replies

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 21/06/2017 21:04

I've had threads on here about my neighbours from hell.
We've been threatened, sworn at harassed and our visitors harassed.
We have involved the police who initially wanted to issue a harassment order against said neighbours but were overruled by their superior officer who said " it never ends well in neighbour disputes" Confused
The actual abuse has reduced significantly though we still endure low level harassment.
I'm keeping notes etc as recommended by the police.
I've pushed for mediation and have met with the mediator however neighbours are stalling and I doubt very much they will attend.
Currently the favourite form of harassment is to park their vehicles to make it quite difficult for me to park. I can get in and I can get out but I do dread weekends and I dread coming home as I'm always so anxious about what they will have done and will I be able to get in ok etc.
I have checked my deeds and they are blocking my "easement ' and it states in the deeds that no one is allowed to do anything to hinder another's ingress and egress.
Currently the neighbours are freely enjoying and utilising the easement I honour and provide them with on my land.
So- Aibu to consider starting legal proceedings or am I just feeding into their crazy?
What would you do?

OP posts:
crabb · 02/09/2017 07:44

I mean they humiliated themselves, not that you did it to them. With their apparent total lack of self-awareness, they'll blame you for how they're feeling.

Motherbear26 · 02/09/2017 08:05

Well done! I hope this is the end of it now and you can move on in peace.

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 08:08

I'm not to worried tbh

I do think they try to stay within the law and I believe it has impacted them having the police involved.

We've pushed back the whole time. It's been exhausting but I hate to think what position we'd be in now if we didn't?

They have been motivated mostly by money I think and the fact that they want to sell.

Dh is regailing me with yesterday's "Erin Brokevitz" moment and I must admit I'm enjoying my moment in the sun ☀️

OP posts:
Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 08:09

*Brochovitz

OP posts:
Scrumptiousbears · 02/09/2017 09:07

I've only just managed to catch up on this.

Well done OP. Let's hope they stick to their word. Will be interest what the police have to say once you have all your bits a pieces.

SouthPole · 02/09/2017 09:43

What a nightmare.

I'm a solicitor (property) and I am saddened that a solicitor's letter wasn't sent to them from the off making clear to them the easements in force at the end of the drive.

There will be a nuisance covenant in the title also, to all your properties.

You mentioned a management company above - this suggests to me that it is a newish built development with the common areas maintained and owned by the management co.

You could have contacted them or the beneficiary of the covenants in your title (builder usually) and asked them to impose the nuisance restrictive covenant.

Their title deeds would have been easily accessible via land registry for £6 (register and plan).

Your solicitor then would have all she needed to highlight who can go where.

What has happened here is that you, knowing your rights, have been passing over what they believe to be their land without a care in the world. They have become incandescent with rage at this perceived intentional sleight and it's grown and grown and lead to the cluster fuck of issues you have now.

Am glad it appears to be sorted.

I fucking hate this shit when clients come to me with them. I'm aggressive and meet fire with fire - the only way is to nip this shit in the bud.

It's a battle of wits and the other party is unarmed.

KeepServingTheDrinks · 02/09/2017 09:51

Totally you are just awesome. How did the police person cope when you informed her of what your next steps were?

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 10:05

southwe were constantly told to deescalate by everyone and that solicitors should be a last resort.

TBH I actually can't believe that they didn't know the covenants as they are home owners and their conveyancer should have gone over this info with them. If I was purchasing a property with shared access it would be the first thing I did.

The officer looked a little concerned and rattled, the pcs inspector was there when I told her and the inspector walked off- the impression we got was that she felt us ungrateful. They don't normally do mediation and they did it as a one off.

OP posts:
GinandGingerBeer · 02/09/2017 10:20

Did you manage to get in that if they are indeed planning on moving, it's in their own interest to stop this nutty behaviour or they have to, by law declare a neighbour dispute?

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 10:31

Yes gin we did

OP posts:
SouthPole · 02/09/2017 10:37

@Totallyattheendofmyrope

I think you've done really well here.

Despite me being a solicitor I'm also a scouser and I'd have probably cut the bitch.Wink

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 10:40

Ha ha south dh is a northerner and it is his preferred method Grin containing him has been a full time job in itself!!

OP posts:
SouthPole · 02/09/2017 10:41

I got that impression OP!!

Maybe you should go into mediation as a profession?!

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 02/09/2017 10:54

#themediator Grin

Dh reckons I should be a domanatrix- he says there's men who'd pay good money to do what I did to our neighbour!!!

OP posts:
Slimthistime · 02/09/2017 11:04

I'm glad it went well for you
I was late to this thread so I don't know what the hose incident was?

But generally I'm thinking you've got really nasty neighbors, they aren't just stupid. Some people have no life and just go around creating trouble because it makes them feel important
This thing about him having a strop? I bet they are moving because they are embarrassed.

Tbh I've only had one minor neighbour dispute and in flats, the management company was the first port of call anyway. But if it happens in future I'd get solicitors involved earlier rather than later.

Sayhellotothelittlefella · 02/09/2017 11:14

Only just RTFT this morning and I'm still not over the fact that the police did nothing about him soaking the 3 girls. I'm livid for your daughter - it just goes to show that after everything that's been in the news recently the police are STILL just dismissing crimes against children.

RedDogsBeg · 02/09/2017 11:16

South if/when I need a property solicitor I want you on my side, you sound like the perfect no nonsense, take no crap, kind of person I likeGrin.

SouthPole · 02/09/2017 16:15

@RedDogsBeg just call me maybe...😏

annielouise · 02/09/2017 16:48

I think you did the right thing saying what you said to the police woman. This deescalate advice the police gave you was crap. Makes their lives easier though. Going back to the other thread about the neighbours car - they gave the neighbours a week to get the car out without seemingly consulting the person whose garden it was in! I was astounded. Anything to keep everyone happy, even the people who are in the wrong. It facilitates future bad behaviour.

No way they didn't know you had a right to go over that bit of land in turning. I can't imagine they bought the place without their solicitor telling them.

kali110 · 02/09/2017 16:51

Im really glad you are going to finally make a complaint totally Smile
It's shocking the way you have been treated.

Totallyattheendofmyrope · 03/09/2017 07:35

So, I had a party last night. Everyone I invited came, 10 women from our street all various neighbours. Nice middle neighbour came Smile I'm very happy about that and looking forward to having a more positive open relationship with her moving forward.

I really feel that we have won the battle.
Parking has been appropriate and we have been able to enjoy our home.
The twits attempts at spoiling my relationships within our community has not been successful.
Without the support and rallying of all you lovely vipers I don't know what I would have done.
The initial response to retaliate was strong but dh and I are so proud of ourselves that we were able to rise above it.
Regardless of what anyone believes our neighbours and I know the truth and I hope they feel some shame at their behaviour. In the end it was all for nothing and they have made collosel fools of themselves.

So thank you , thank you, thank you everyone.
FlowersFlowersFlowers

You are all the best friends I ever had.

OP posts:
TheMShip · 03/09/2017 07:54

Star Ace!!!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

paq · 03/09/2017 08:44

V v v happy for you x

Redsippycup · 03/09/2017 10:49

Oh I'm so so glad for you! That's wonderful news! Grin

How on earth could they sit there and say they didn't know you had an easement?! - iirc the start of your last thread was that you put a card through their door with a copy of the deeds and a note explaining what they meant?!

There's being a bit dim and there is being a cunt on purpose... I know which i think they are Wink

BrassicaBabe · 03/09/2017 14:34

I've RTFT. I am astounded. I'd have been at the bottom of a vat of gin many weeks ago. You've held firm. I'm very very pleased for you and your family Flowers

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.