My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why doesn't Corbyn understand that he lost?

999 replies

Sittinonthefloor · 09/06/2017 14:09

I'm totally bemused! He thinks it's an absolutely 'incredible' result and that May should resign. Has no one told him that more people voted for her and the tories have more MPs? The tories ran an appalling campaign, trying to sell hugely unpopular policies, May comes across dreadfully (all twitchy and brittle) yet still more people voted for her - even with all the bribes he was offering. A decent candidate could have won it for labour, (Yvette cooper?) I know there's been a big swing, but still! Not winning against a poor opponent who's run a dreadful campaign is hardly a cause for celebration.

OP posts:
KingJoffreysRestingCuntface · 09/06/2017 14:12

To be fair, it's all a bit confusing at the moment and I doubt he's had much sleep.

Sparklingbrook · 09/06/2017 14:13

It's currently being discussed on the bajillion other threads on here I would think.

caffeinestream · 09/06/2017 14:13

Well, considering the massive gains they've made in such a short space of time, I would say it is pretty incredible.

ghostyslovesheets · 09/06/2017 14:14

well no one has won - there is no one party with a majority so he has a point!

Nacknick · 09/06/2017 14:14

Ask yourself these questions...

"Did the tories need to call a general election?"

"Did they achieve their desired goal of an increased majority at the unnecessary general election?"

I think you'll find your answer then...

lovelyupnorth · 09/06/2017 14:15

don't believe he did loose, from the starting point he did well - don't like the bloke, but from the starting point of Tresemme getting a landside to a hung parliament. she's the one who should go and go now. but instead the radical unionists will get far too much power.

Dawndonnaagain · 09/06/2017 14:16

He didn't. He didn't win, but he didn't lose. Same as the Tories, only unlike the Tories he increased his personal majority significantly and increased his the party presence in the commons. For a man who had nothing but slating and lies from the press, he hasn't lost at all. He's played a blinder. Oh, and for a man constantly accused of fraternising with the enemy, he must be amused, if a tad bewildered whilst he watches those accusers doing a deal with a party set up by Ian Paisley. He's lost nothing.

mygorgeousmilo · 09/06/2017 14:16

Because she's the one who called the election, smeared JC to the best of her ability, but still failed to get the required majority, and lost lots of 'safe' Tory seats. In general life, a similar level of loss is not the end - but in parliament it's bordering on political death! Most people, even those who are impartial or conservatives, are saying her position is untenable.

Dawndonnaagain · 09/06/2017 14:17

Oh, and the DUP, anti abortion, anti gay marriage and a manifesto that is basically the bible with added bin collections.

Peachesandcream15 · 09/06/2017 14:18

Yanbu.

He's done less badly than ed miliband. Hardly cause for celebration.

Sittinonthefloor · 09/06/2017 14:19

Yes, there are other threads! I've been in the car all morning shouting at r4 and didn't trawl through all the relevant topics before posting, so extreme was my frustration! It was bizarre listening to him though, he really didn't seem to realise they'd lost! He said it was clear who the country had chosen - in a tone that implied they'd chosen him, he didn't really seem to grasp that a greater number of people had rejected him.

OP posts:
ChasedByBees · 09/06/2017 14:20

From the other very similar post, here was my post there:

Firstly, Corbyn did exceptionally well in the face of the polls and opposition from the media (and his own party).

May had a slim majority but was ploughing ahead as if she had 100% support. She clearly thought she had more support than the number of seats represented and she felt Corbyn was weak and wanted to capitalise on that.

Let's just pause for a moment to think about the wisdom of holding an election 10 days before you start negotiating Brexit which will affect generations to come. She was hugely confident and a hung government or loss was not even a possibility for her otherwise the timing would have been quite irresponsible. A50 is a legal process and we are on a tight timescale.

So Corbyn overcame this and won seats to reduce her majority.

She has now had to make a deal with the DUP and I read somewhere that they abstain to take up their seats?

So that means on an issue by issue basis, she could be voted down by the opposition and she'll need to seek labours support to get laws passed.

This gives labour significantly more influence.

That sounds like a win, of sorts, to me.

NellieFiveBellies · 09/06/2017 14:22

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AntiopeofThemyscira · 09/06/2017 14:22

She has now had to make a deal with the DUP and I read somewhere that they abstain to take up their seats?

I thought that was Sinn Fein?

Leanback · 09/06/2017 14:24

Labour narrowly lost. Corbyn however secured a victory.

Sittinonthefloor · 09/06/2017 14:26

I agree with a lot of what you are saying - tories are damaged and T-M has cocked up spectacularly. But i still don't understand why JC can't admit defeat and why his disciples can't see that another candidate would probably really have won!

OP posts:
mygorgeousmilo · 09/06/2017 14:28

No DUP do not abstain from taking their seats, that's Sinn Fein. DUP are already really eager to take this new found power and run with it, a chance to spread their ethos of anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, climate change denying bullshit. We're all in for a shitty five years

contortionist · 09/06/2017 14:29

I don't think it's true that another labour leader would have won. Most of the labour gains were in university towns and fuelled by a high turnout of younger people. That probably wouldn't have happened without Corbyn.

alltouchedout · 09/06/2017 14:29

Why do we not have some sort of rofl emoji?

ChasedByBees · 09/06/2017 14:29

Another candidate may have done better - but it was him and his politics personally which brought out the youth vote. The voting level and engagement was much higher at this election. I think a lot of that is down to him.

Antiope - aha, yes I wasn't at all sure about that bit, heard somehing but I was up all night. Grin

bojorojo · 09/06/2017 14:30

"They abstain to take up their seats". What on earth does this mean?

People voted for Brexit and then they decided to limit the damage to their personal finances be voting Labour. Who wouldn't vote for freebies all round and no contribution to make? I just hope this means we can have a softer Brexit. It's about the only good thing that can come out of this chaos. It is all the fault of anti EU Tories going back 30 years, then Farage whipping up hatred and Cameron being negative about Brexit. We are just being laughed at by the EU and no, Corbyn didn't win!

christinarossetti · 09/06/2017 14:30

Despite huge opposition from his own party, almost completely negative media portrayal, a smear campaign trying to exploit the public's anxiety following 3 recent terrorist attacks, he got 40% of the vote and enough seats to ensure that the emcumbant party didn't have a majority.

Labour whittled a 20 point lead down to almost nothing in 8 weeks. Record numbers of young people turned out to vote. Record numbers of women and people from BAME communities now have seats in the commons.

And most significantly, it isn't the woman that he was up against that is making any sort of victory speech today.

He played a blinder.

flapflops · 09/06/2017 14:30

Same could be said for Theresa May OP

ChasedByBees · 09/06/2017 14:31

Milo - pity they don't take their seats then!! How much of their manifesto will filter through is to be seen. I would hope Tories resist some of the more extreme parts.

HateSummer · 09/06/2017 14:31

May didn't win either! Shes a liar and a loser. Stupid donkey voice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.