From Sky News
Statistics watchdog says it is looking into government's asylum backlog claim
A spokesperson for the Office for Statistics Regulation has confirmed they are looking into the government's claim it has cleared the legacy asylum claims backlog.
It comes after Downing Street insisted yesterday that the prime minister had achieved his target of clearing the legacy backlog, despite the government's own data showing that 4,537 remain.
Rishi Sunak pledged in December 2022 that he would "abolish" the legacy backlog of claims made before 28 June of that year, with the Home Office being given the target of the end of 2023.
On Monday, the department said the pledge had been "delivered", having processed more than 112,000 asylum claims overall in 2023.
There were more than 92,000 asylum claims made before 28 June 2022 requiring a decision, but 4,537 remain, according to the government's official data.
As a result, the CEO of the Refugee Council accused the government of making a "misleading" claim, while Labour's shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper labelled it "totally false".