Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What name did your DH come up with for your babies that you hated?

FortunesFave · 26/11/2021 05:22

DH wanted to call our first DD Charlie.

Fucking Charlie!

SO many lovely girls' names and he comes up with that.

Sorry if your is called that...it's nice enough I suppose but it's just not something I'd choose for a girl.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ElephantOfRisk · 26/11/2021 11:19

Jenna, perfectly nice but our surname ends in the same last 4 letters...

Please
or

Crunchymum · 26/11/2021 11:22

Joanne, Jennifer and Shannon were suggestions for our DD's.

Nowt wrong with the names, except we both went to school with them in the 90's

He did actually find the perfect names for them all in the end.

Please
or

19Bears · 26/11/2021 11:27

Raymond. Not a family name or anything, just apparently after a band he liked... Confused

Please
or

MondeoFan · 26/11/2021 11:28

I love Charlie for a girl much more than I do for a boy.
My DH only liked names that were - Sarah, Jane that's type of thing. To me very boring and uninspiring.

I'm up for family names though, if it were a family name even if I didn't like it or thought it was boring.

Please
or

Cattoes · 26/11/2021 11:29

Tiffany

Please
or

hiredandsqueak · 26/11/2021 11:31

He wanted to call ds Simon, have no idea why, I vetoed it as I had visions of ds being called simple Simon through school.

Please
or

MondeoFan · 26/11/2021 11:31

@Lairymary I actually dated a man named Buddy around 25 years ago. It wasn't a nickname it was his actual name. People called him Bud most of the time. His brother was Bryan. So Buddy and Bryan

Please
or

User269 · 26/11/2021 11:31

When we were expecting my wife vetoed:

Rafael - because our surname begins with "Ra" and what if the boy had Rhotacism (Jonathan Ross's 'R' impediment)

Leonardo - because that's the name of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (although apparently Rafael passes that test)

Gaspar/Caspar - because that's the name of a friendly ghost

Xavier - no reason given, just too wrong.

Fortunately we had girls.

Please
or

Rosebel · 26/11/2021 11:32

My husband wanted to call our DD1 Gwen, in memory of his nan. Absolutely not. Relented in the end and used it as a middle name.
She hates the name and never uses it.

Please
or

user1471538283 · 26/11/2021 11:35

My ex carefully broached the subject and before he got any words out I told him what DSs name would be. He had shocking taste and he still managed to get it wrong on the birth certificate so I had to change it.

Please
or

Honkytonkyhonky · 26/11/2021 11:37

Flea

I wish I was joking-he is part of the red hot chilli peppers (I think) and my ex reeeeaaaalllyyy wanted to call him that

We didn’t go with that name in the end but my son thinks it’s funny

Please
or

Olinguito · 26/11/2021 11:38

Angharad. We have no Welsh connections.

Please
or

mam0918 · 26/11/2021 11:39

It's actually hilarious reading through this as it seems most of the poor husbands who are being slated are on the cutting edge of names as many being listed as 'dated' here are right on the cusp of coming back according to stats on usage growth and the buzz on name forums.

Please
or

Ameanstreakamilewide · 26/11/2021 11:45

My father in law really wanted to call my husband Vince...luckily my mother in law intervened.

Please
or

wheresmymojo · 26/11/2021 11:47

Lisa

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the name Lisa if you are currently in your 30's-50's but for a new baby right now?

Please
or

Hen2018 · 26/11/2021 11:50

Colin. We’re divorced now.

Please
or

CaffiSaliMali · 26/11/2021 11:52

@TommyShelby

Buddug… I was tearing my hair out. I couldn’t imagine a baby Buddug born in this century! 🙈

She'd be doomed to a lifetime of 'no, it isn't pronounced Bud Dug' and "no, you can't call me Boadicea instead'.

My Mam suggested Myfanwy for me (I was born in England) - thankfully my Dad vetoed it.

Dad wanted Gertrude for me or another name which is very out there, think Rapunzel or Cinderella.

Thankfully my mother had more sense, Myfanwy aside, and took over the process of naming me.
Please
or

Ameanstreakamilewide · 26/11/2021 11:52

@honeylulu

My husband really liked Eugene for our first child. I didn't! To be fair he didn't like my suggestion either (Orson). We ended up with a much more common/ordinary name.

Second was a girl and he really really wanted her to be called Emma. It is a pretty name but (1) There were 5 Emmas in my class at school and I felt a bit Emma-ed out and (2) my ex had recently called his daughter Emma (we still have friends in common) and it might have looked a bit weird and stalkery if I had chosen the same name!

I love Eugene! I'm so surprised to see it suggested here, cos everyone I mentioned it to (when I was pregnant) looked askance at me. 🤨

It's a good solid Irish name and i'm all for that.
Please
or

maddiemookins16mum · 26/11/2021 11:56

Samantha! Now it’s not a horrendous name but really…….it was 2005 not 1975.

Please
or

Ameanstreakamilewide · 26/11/2021 11:56

I liked Solomon...but my husband vetoed that before I even finished the sentence!

Please
or

Lairymary · 26/11/2021 11:57

[quote MondeoFan]@Lairymary I actually dated a man named Buddy around 25 years ago. It wasn't a nickname it was his actual name. People called him Bud most of the time. His brother was Bryan. So Buddy and Bryan [/quote]
Was he British? It sounds like a very American name which would maybe be more accepted over there. I feel like Elf has ruined a good name. I actually like it, it just make me think of that wedding overgrown elf!!

Please
or

Lairymary · 26/11/2021 11:57

*sodding not wedding!!

Please
or

Ameanstreakamilewide · 26/11/2021 12:01

@hennybeans

My stepdad wanted to call my brother Butch back in the 80s. Luckily my mum said no.

My dad choose my name and named me after his bank manager! Luckily it's a nice name, not very common though.

DH wanted to name ds after him, a traditional, popular in the 70s name. I said no.

My sister in law suggested Buddy...but luckily (for everyone) she had a daughter.
Please
or

Ameanstreakamilewide · 26/11/2021 12:07

@Olinguito

Angharad. We have no Welsh connections.

How do you pronounce that?
Please
or

MrsToothyBitch · 26/11/2021 12:11

@oohyoudevilyou I misread "Sonia and Cheryl" as Sonny and Cher! I

Lots of names of people I know in here- including mine, which was chosen for the meaning! Also a couple of names we like on the naughty list here too. The sensible ones though. DP hasn't suggested anything bad but my ex suggested "Heather" as a hypothetical baby name. It was the 2010s not the 70s and I just dislike it. The only names we agreed on was "Anna".

My dad got overruled on "Kathleen" after his mum outright and a tribute"Kate" because of the potential to be "Katie". Kate is one of my middle names though. Margaret and Eleanor are repeat names on my mum's side and I refuse to use either.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.