Mumsnet is supported by readers. All our writers obsessively research every product we recommend. When you buy through a link on our site we might earn commission but this never influences our product choices.
What do you look for in a floor lamp? Cutting edge design that stands out against the crowd or a practical item that provides functional lighting for everyday life? We think the highest quality floor lamps provide a little bit of everything, combining good looks with the usefulness needed to deal with any tasks that come to hand.
When it comes to the best floor lamps, UK buyers are spoiled for choice. From contemporary chrome designs for a sleek interior to warm wood tones that set the mood in a traditional setting, there are so many styles to opt for. That’s why we’ve scoured our Mumsnet forums and researched honest customer reviews on the best brands to compile a list of lighting you just can’t live without.
Here are the best floor lamps to buy in 2021.
1. Best overall floor lamp: Dingli Lighting Wooden LED Lamp
Price: £64.99 | Buy now from Amazon
At just under £65 this wooden LED floor lamp is quite the deal. Its natural tones and tall, classic lines give it an understated style that won’t dominate the room. The legs, while delicate, are heavy and attached using a solid screw mechanism, so little ones shouldn't be able to knock them over when the floor becomes their playground.
The floor lamp comes with a 50,000 hour LED bulb supplied, meaning it’s ready to go as soon as you plug it in. Reviews also point out how super easy it is to build, taking just a few minutes of your time.
- Size: 156 x 38cm
- Material: Rubberwood and linen
- Bulb: LED E27 (supplied)
2. Best budget floor lamp: IKEA Floor Uplighter Light
Price: £15.77 | Buy now from Amazon
Mumsnet users are big fans of IKEA lighting, s0 we were delighted to see the price of this modern lamp from the iconic Swedish brand.
Sleek and minimal, this understated yet stylish lamp will fit into many different styles of home and its narrow design means it'll be easy to squeeze into small rooms too.
Reviewers loved how quick it was to assemble, although be warned the bulb is sold separately so you'll need to order that too. You can also get this in a double or triple pack if you want to light up a room with a few uniform lights, making this a top contender for the best IKEA floor lamp.
- Size: 37 x 29 x 13 cm
- Material: Alloy steel, plastic
- Bulb: LED bulb E27 globe opal white (sold separately)
3. Best floor lamp for a living room: Depuley Mother and Child Lamp
Price: £69.99 | Buy now from Amazon
“We have a Mother and Child floor lamp and it gives amazing light.” - Lifestooshort123
This modern standing lamp has two lights - one large and one small - that can be used independently by flicking a corresponding toggle switch. The large light is the best floor lamp for lighting your room, whereas the smaller one can shed light on a nappy change or bedtime reading.
The only drawback is that it’s not dimmable like some of the selections here, but this is a functional light that has heaps of style.
- Size: 173 x 53cm
- Material: Iron, plastic and linen
- Bulb: 2 x LED E27 bulbs (supplied)
4. Best floor lamp with a shelf: Outon 3 Temperature Shelved Floor Lamp
Price: £52.99 | Buy now from Amazon
If you’re looking for a lamp that is a little different, this small base floor lamp is an ideal option for you.
One of the best floor lamps for small spaces, this would fit perfectly in guest rooms or tiny nooks at the side of the sofa where space is at a premium. The three shelves that make up the lamp’s design are perfect for storing ornaments and knick-knacks, while the linen shade is easy to clean with a dry cloth.
This lamp comes with a three-temperature, colour-changing LED bulb, and we loved that it can be operated using a remote control.
- Size: 161.8 x 26.1cm
- Material: Wood and linen
- Bulb: LED 810 Lumens (supplied)
5. Best for a vintage design: Ilaria Floor Lamp
Price: £229 | Buy now from Made
“I have this lamp in a corner... [I] struggled to find one that I liked.” - triplechoc
The gorgeous Ilaria floor lamp from Made is a sculptural piece formed from beautiful shimmering brass. The show-stopping design is completed with three mouth-blown coloured glass shades that are smooth on the outside but have carefully dimpled interiors to create an optical illusion.
One of the great things about this floor lamp is the extra-long cable, which can be tucked out of the way of pets and little hands. While this is one of our more expensive lamps featured, reviews point out the exceptional build quality and the unique design - well worth the extra pennies, we think.
- Size: 153 x 34cm
- Material: Brass and coloured glass
- Bulb: 3 x E14 4w LED/9w CFL
6. Best modern floor lamp: WUDSEE Modern Arched Floor Lamp
Price: £50.91 | Buy now from Amazon
If you’re in search of modern floor lamps for the living room or a sophisticated dining room, check out WUDSEE on Amazon. Their floor lamp comes in two heights (125-180cm, 155-225cm) and three shade colours - a retro orange, green or crisp white acrylic dome, making it one of the best contemporary floor lamps available in its price range.
The sleek 26cm marble base adds luxury, while also providing sturdy support so it doesn’t topple over.
- Size: 180 x 26cm (max height)
- Material: Marble, chrome and acrylic
- Bulb: 60w E27
7. Best floor lamp for reading: FIMEI Reading Lamp
Price: £85.95 | Buy now from Amazon
Our best floor lamp for crafting or reading is the FIMEI reading lamp which you can pick up at Amazon for just under £86. The lamp imitates the tone of natural daylight which prevents the eyes from tiring so quickly.
The FIMEI lamp is metal which is fitted with LED lights that should last for 20 years or more. The biggest draw of the lamp is its shape, which can be adjusted from a halo to a twisted design to spray light across the room. The lamp is also dimmable and the colour can be adjusted through four temperatures to find the right setting for your environment.
- Size: 175 x 30cm
- Material: Metal and plastic
- Bulb: LED 1500 lumens (supplied)
8. Best daylight reading floor lamp: Hearmar Daylight Flexi Vision Lamp
Price: £109.99 | Buy now from Amazon
"I bought my husband this for Christmas and he's really pleased with it - it gives a lot of light.” - KnittedFairies
Crafters and readers will love the adjustable head of this subtle chrome Flexi-Vision lamp, which can angle light exactly where you want it. The lamp was researched and created with the Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB), ensuring it meets the standards necessary to reduce eye fatigue and glare and increase contrast.
Reviewers love its simple style, compatibility with energy-saving bulbs and its anti-trip cable holders that keep trailing wires off the ground.
- Size: 140.0 x 35.8cm
- Material: metal and plastic
- Bulb: 20w or 100w energy saving
9. Best remote control floor lamp: ELINKUME Remote Dimmable Floor Lamp
Price: £75.48 | Buy now from Amazon
This beautiful, compact column light uses dimmable LEDs to add mood lighting to the bedroom. You can even time the light to turn off using the 30 second or three-minute timer option, which should be just enough time to get out of bed for a midnight trip to the loo.
We adore the geometric design, which looks good displayed upright in a modern home. Be cautious if you’re choosing it for a room children play in - reviews state it is lightweight, but can be secured to the wall for added safety.
- Size: 120 x 14cm
- Material: wood composite and plastic
- Bulb: 18w LED (supplied)
10. Best arc floor lamp: Wayfair Bonita Floor Lamp
Price: £119.99 | Buy now from Wayfair
If you’d like a minimalist look on a relatively budget price tag the Wayfair Bonita Floor Lamp is the one for you. It’s created by Zipcode, a designer that aims to bring flexible designs into everyday spaces.
Coming in three metallic colours; chrome, black, and copper, this arched metal lamp with a huge globular shade is perfect for entertaining spaces such as dining or living rooms. The marble base adds a classy touch with its cream and grey tones that contrast perfectly with the glossy stand.
- Size: 174 x 31cm
- Material: Marble, metal and plastic
- Bulb: 50w E27
11. Best tripod floor lamp: Carlton Camera Tripod Lamp
Price: £99 | Buy now from Dunelm
With a design reminiscent of 1930s movie lighting, this beauty from Dunelm is crafted from dark wood and a complimentary polished chrome torch light. This piece would be perfect in an art deco-themed room with rich swagged curtains and jewel-toned walls, although it is versatile enough to suit modern interiors thanks to its classic colour palette - just check out how gorgeous it looks against the grey walls on Dunelm’s website.
Reviews point out that you need to assemble the adjustable lamp, but don’t panic as the instructions are easy to follow. If you run a smart home, the lamp is also compatible with the Philips Hue range for remote operation.
- Size: 155 x 78cm
- Material: Metal and wood
- Bulb: GLS E27
12. Best torchiere floor lamp: AnTing LED Floor Lamp
Price: £59.99 | Buy now from Amazon
Want a lamp of the future today? Then look no further than this metal and plastic LED lamp that beams out an impressive 2200 lumens. The torchiere lamp has three colour settings - warm white to add a romantic atmosphere, soft white for a restful space, and cold white for when you need to concentrate on difficult tasks.
This torchiere lamp has a unique disc design that is adjustable through 180 degrees to direct light exactly where you need it. Colour options are also available, which make great mood lighting for a kid’s party.
- Size: 168 x 25cm
- Material: Metal and plastic
- Bulb: LED 2200 Lumens (supplied)
What to look for in a floor lamp
Knowing which floor lamp to choose for your home can be overwhelming when you consider all the different types and styles. Here are a few things to think about to make that decision easier:
- Safety standards: Standards are different here in the UK to other parts of the world. All UK electrical items must meet BS EN 60335-1 standards to ensure they’re safe for home use. UK retailers will always meet these standards, but it’s important to check on items that you purchase from overseas.
- How many bulbs are needed: Items that take more bulbs provide more light than single-bulb lamps. If light is at a premium, opting for a lamp with multiple bulbs will help.
- Sturdiness of the base: With children around it’s important to choose a lamp with a sturdy base to present it being pulled over. Lamps with marble or cast metal are very secure, whereas those with plastic bases are not as stable. If you’re concerned, attaching it to a wall using cable ties can help secure it.
- Power cable or cordless?: Some lamps don’t have a power cord, minimising strangulation and tripping hazards. However, cordless lamps are harder to find in large sizes which often require more power.
- Space: If you’re short on space, a lamp with a smaller base that will slot easily into your room will be a better option. Consider wall space too - are there any paintings or pictures which your lamp height will obscure?
- Materials: Lamp shades made of velvet and silk are luxurious objects, but are more difficult to clean than those made out of cotton or linen. It’s also good to consider the stand for your lamp. Lamps made of metal are usually stronger than plastic. Wood is a good medium-weight material which is available in an abundance of shades to suit most decors.
Are arc floor lamps good?
Arc floor lamps embrace the curved lines of a 1970s interior, adding a vintage touch to any decor. Their circular design means that light pools in a specific space, making them well-suited to spots overlooking a reading chair or dinner table. They can also completely replace an overhead light in a dining room setting.
Can a floor lamp light a room?
Floor lamps are versatile and, in the right scenario, can be suitable to light a whole room. Opting for a floor lamp that uses LED bulbs will brighten a space more than a traditional halogen light bulb.
Selecting a floor lamp with multiple light sources too, such as the Ilaria floor lamp allows you to increase the light flow into the room without the need for additional lighting. This can provide excellent ambient lighting for the bedroom or movie nights on the sofa.
What is the best floor lamp?
The Dingli floor lamp is a tough cookie, flying out above the other floor lamps when it comes to versatility. We loved its sleek design, which would fit into many homes, plus its sturdiness and how easy it is to assemble. And, coming in at around £65, it won’t break the bank.
How we choose our recommendations
We know that there’s nothing like getting an honest recommendation. That’s why we visited the Mumsnet forum to find out which floor lamps our Mumsnet users have bought for their homes, seeking out those best suggestions and adding them to this list.
Other floor lamps are carefully chosen after thorough research across the wider web. We specifically looked for the floor lamps that have won awards for their design or functionality and for those that have been recommended through customer reviews.
Armed with this information, we compiled a list of floor lamps across a range of styles and budgets that represent good value for our discerning Mumsnet users.
Why you should trust us
We work hard to provide unbiased, independent advice you can trust. We do sometimes earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. This helps us fund more helpful articles like this one.