My feed
Premium

Is the Harry Potter Kids' Hoodie Blanket a magical must-have for budding wizards? Our verdict

Searching for the perfect treat for a Potterhead this winter? MNHQ editor Jenny tested out the Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids on her daughter – here's how her little one found it.

By Jenny Wonnacott | Last updated Jan 9, 2024

Harry Potter Kids' Blanket Hoodie

Price on writing: £22 | Buy now from Amazon

From Oodies to Kuddlys, Mumsnetters can't get enough of the best blanket hoodies this winter, so it makes sense that our users are discussing the warmest, cosiest options to kit out their little ones too.

If you're searching for a kids' blanket hoodie, after considering warmth and comfort, you'll likely want something that your child will love to wear in a pattern or design that appeals to their interests. If you have a little wizarding world fan at home, chances are they'll love the Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids. Plus, at £22, it's cheaper than other options like the Kids' Oodie.

To see if its worth the spend, my 10-year-old daughter put it through its paces for over a year, wearing it on average once or twice a week over the winter and daily during cold snaps. Here's what we both thought...

For more Mumsnet HQ-approved winter buys, don't miss our guides to the best electric blankets and women's slippers.

What we like

• Great gift for Harry Potter fans

• Excellent value

• Pointed wizard hat hood is a nice touch

• Cosy to wear

• More lightweight than other options so good for year-round use

• Machine washable

What we don't like

• Not as thick and warm as an Oodie (though this may be a plus)

• Lost some softness after washing

• Only one design

Our verdict

Harry Potter Blanket Hoodie
  • Warmth: 3.5/5

• Design: 5/5

• Ease of cleaning: 4/5

• Value for money: 5/5

The Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids gets a big thumbs up from Mumsnet's little tester, scoring an impressive 4.5/5 stars overall.

My daughter loves to wear it for movie nights or as an alternative to a dressing gown when it’s chilly. She also brought it when we went camping over the summer and wore it in the evenings – unlike the Kids’ Oodie, which is a lot thicker, this packs away nice and easily, making it ideal for holidays even in the summer. This does mean it's not as warm as an Oodie, but we actually got more use out of it all year round.

I did have a slight gripe as it lost some softness with washing, but overall I think it's a great buy for Harry Potter fans and it offers excellent value for money.

First impressions: Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids

My first thought was that my daughter was going to love it – she is a big Harry Potter fan and was given this as a Christmas present last year. I also really loved the pointed hood, I thought it was a clever touch.

Related: Best hot water bottles according to Mumsnetters

What is the Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids like to wear?

My daughter is 10 and on the petite side of average. The hoodie is quite oversized, but it’s definitely not as obstructively large for her as the Kids’ Oodie is for my six-year-old. Having said that, it will probably fit her for a good few years yet!

"I love my hoodie because it is so soft and warm. I like it a lot better than my dressing gown because it doesn’t have a knot in the middle to poke me in the tummy." - MN tester, aged 10

It’s lovely, soft and warm without being too thick, which makes it a great wardrobe essential all year round. It’s not as thick as alternatives (particularly the Oodie) but unlike the others, it's suitable for the entire year so it actually gets the most use out of all the blanket hoodies we own. My daughter wears it as an extra layer indoors during the winter and as an outer layer during the summer if we’re outside on chilly evenings (i.e. camping).

Related: Best heated gloves for cold weather

Design: Harry Potter Kid's Hoodie Blanket

Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids

As blanket hoodies go, it's quite plain, but I think for a child this age that is a good thing as they change their preferences quite a lot! I like that it’s black as it goes with everything and, most importantly, doesn’t show stains. The gold lettering really pops and we love the pointy hood too.

It’s a nice, subtle hoodie design which means that even if my mini Potterhead goes off Potter in the next few years, the hoodie will probably still appeal long after.

Related: Best foot warmers for working from home

How did the Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket for Kids wash?

I put it on a 40°C cycle in the washing machine, but I don’t tumble dry it. Like with many blanket hoodies, it did lose an element of initial softness after its first wash, but it is still perfectly soft and warm.

Price: is the Harry Potter Hoodie Blanket worth it?

Definitely – in terms of cost per use and how long it’s likely to fit my daughter, it’s an absolute bargain!

Related: Best thermal curtains for keeping out the cold

How we tested

• Worn daily during cold snaps and a few times a week in winter. Also tested in summer during family camping trips.

• Tested for over a year.

• Cross-compared with other kids' blanket hoodies my children have worn.

My daughter put the Harry Potter Oversized Hoodie Blanket through its paces over an extended period. I then asked for her thoughts on wearing it and scored it on a number of different factors including ease of cleaning, softness, fit, design and warmth.

About the author

Jenny Wonnacott is a Content Editor for Mumsnet, specialising in writing, editing and optimising pregnancy care and child play content pages. As a parent of three primary school-aged children, Jenny is passionate about making Mumsetters' lives easier through rigorous research of all items recommended in reviews and buyers' guides.

She regularly tests out products for Mumsnet too including everything from heated gilets to board games, assessing whether their quality withstands the wear and tear of everyday family life.

About Mumsnet Reviews

All Mumsnet product reviews are written by real people after extensive research and testing. We work hard to provide honest and independent advice you can trust. Sometimes, we earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.

Read next: Best thermal socks as recommended by Mumsnetters