Talk

Advanced search

Harry the owl visited by police

(977 Posts)
Imnobody4 Wed 23-Jan-19 20:28:35

This whole hate speech/incident law is completely out of control. This is sinister.
Check out @HarryTheOwl’s Tweet: twitter.com/HarryTheOwl/status/1088144870991114241?s=09

Oxytocindeficient Wed 23-Jan-19 20:32:53

I sincerely hope he makes a complaint. This is so utterly ridiculous. Where the fuck are we living?

53rdWay Wed 23-Jan-19 20:35:50

Finally, he lectured me. Said, ‘Sometimes, a woman’s brain grows a man’s body in the womb

um.

R0wantrees Wed 23-Jan-19 20:35:54

threadeader: threadreaderapp.com/thread/1088144870991114241.html

"1. Got a call from Director, saying cops wanting to speak to me. He’d had sense not to give out my number, but said he’d pass on details. I rang.
2. Spoke to PC from Humberside, introduces himself as representing the LGBTQ community on a report of hate speech by me. They’d found me via my company, had been all over the website & decided if I employed trans people at all, it was not a safe place for them & work should know.
3. Cop said he was in possession of 30 Tweets by me. I asked if any contained criminal material. He said.... No. I asked if any came close to being criminal... and he read me a limerick. Honestly. A limerick. A cop read me a limerick over the phone.
4. I said, I didn’t write that. He said, ‘Ah. But you Liked it and promoted it.’
I asked why he was wasting his time on a non crime. He said, ‘It’s not a crime, but it will be recorded as a hate incident.’
5. So, I’ve added to a statistic, even though there is no crime, which brings me to my next point. The cop repeatedly called the complainant ‘the victim.’ I asked how there could be a victim if, as he’d established, there was no crime. He said, that’s just how it works.
6. My comment was that by framing the complainant as ‘victim’, this made me, by default, ‘criminal.’ I asked him to desist from using it.
7. This is where it gets incredibly sinister. The cop told me that he needed to speak with me because, even though I’d committed no crime whatsoever, he needed (and I quote) ‘to check my THINKING!’ Seriously. Honestly.
8. Finally, he lectured me. Said, ‘Sometimes, a woman’s brain grows a man’s body in the womb and that is what transgender is.’ You can imagine my response...
9. Lastly, he told me that I needed to watch my words more carefully or I was as risk of being sacked by the company for hate speech. At which point, I wished him well and said I needed to go and rinse my socks.
10. I’m fine, btw. It’s upset my wife far more than it’s upset me, though, and this makes me angry as hell. I’m considering my response to the Chief Constable because... FUCK ‘EM!"

Tackytriceratops Wed 23-Jan-19 20:36:50

Well hello 1984.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 23-Jan-19 20:38:23

Who is Harry the Owl? Is he someone we might have heard of or just a random person caught up in the madness?

This is probably the creepiest bit of police involvement yet.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Wed 23-Jan-19 20:39:13

This is why any contract with the police needs to be video or audio recorded, abuse of power.

Sexnotgender Wed 23-Jan-19 20:42:15

That's actual insanity!

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 20:43:30

Sometimes, a woman’s brain grows a man’s body in the womb

WTAF are these people being taught?

Popchyk Wed 23-Jan-19 20:44:22

Who is Harry the Owl?

Was he sure that it was actually a police officer who called him?

It all sounds very odd.

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 20:46:19

He's a GC man on Twitter.

itsbritneybiatches Wed 23-Jan-19 20:47:14

Did this really happen. Because he liked some tweets. Actually in real life
It happened??

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 20:47:17

I believe him. This stuff is out of control.

itsbritneybiatches Wed 23-Jan-19 20:47:30

Off to follow harry ....

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 20:48:29

Previous threads document that "hate incidents" are a thing, where no crime was committed.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Wed 23-Jan-19 20:49:14

WTAF are these people being taught?

Don't think, don't fight it, obey.

Imnobody4 Wed 23-Jan-19 20:54:20

TheCountessofFitzdotterel
Harry the owl is just a GC ally, not a public face.

Mumfun Wed 23-Jan-19 21:00:27

Really sad comment attached which shows why it is so CRIMINAL that police resources are being abused like this: twitter.com/Ceeekerrr/status/1088175659933990916
Just a mile or two from me a young mother was killed by an abusive ex partner despite many many reports to the police of his threatening behaviour. They didn't bother to interview him.

bluescreen Wed 23-Jan-19 21:02:02

There have been several reports like this lately. Has anyone accused of thoughtcrime actually been to an actual police station where this actual thoughtcrime accusation stuff happened to them, or had an actual uniformed officer with genuine ID calling at their home, or is it always someone on a telephone? If Harry the Owl called the number he was given, how could he be sure it was the actual police?
confused
If it actually happened it's very worrying indeed.

R0wantrees Wed 23-Jan-19 21:03:41

Magdalen Bens

'A chat with Posie Parker on free speech, feminism and Mermaids UK'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E8o_4IVk8A

current thead:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3481589-posie-is-being-interviews-under-caution

Datun Wed 23-Jan-19 21:05:36

Ok. Any journalists out there?

Can you write about this?

Can you do it from the point of view of someone like this Harry the Owl? Can you start writing/liking things on Twitter under a pseudonym, and record everything that happens to you? Including accusations of thought crime. Or police intervention.

This isn't the first time that the mythical offence of thought crime has been written about. Can we nail this, once and for all?

Oxytocindeficient Wed 23-Jan-19 21:08:53

Within the responses, this was an interesting link about a case where the MET LGBT network harassed someone about a tweet and they were successfully sued for it.

crimebodge.com/how-the-met-polices-bogus-allegation-of-a-hate-crime-got-them-sued/

Datun Wed 23-Jan-19 21:11:54

I mean, it sounds absolutely ludicrous. And I would be tempted to disbelieve it. Except there are a million things that I would disbelieve, that have actually happened.

rytonsister Wed 23-Jan-19 21:17:19

Unfortunately for the police if someone makes a complaint they are obligated to investigate.

Trust me when I say police have wayyyyy more to do than apply
There there cream to the hurty words .

This may be why I need a new job. It's bollocks.

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 21:18:05

Great article. I would think there's a good chance there is a data protection breach in this. No actual crime has been committed. My understanding is that police can only be given access to personal data without consent when there is the risk of a serious crime, or in the course of investigating a crime.

He should file a Subject Access Request with Humberside police in the first instance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: