Talk

Advanced search

Lily Madigan Blocklist

(325 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 18:34:33

So I am on this published blocklist. In good company with Julie Bindell et al, but still, I'm so angry. I've never tweeted Lily, so it is a mystery. I follow women's place and a lot of Rad fems, so it must be that? Anyone else on it? What should we do? I am totally shocked that this can be sanctioned by the party. That's my vote lost forever. Hell will freeze over before I vote Labour again.

LizzieSiddal Tue 20-Mar-18 18:37:38

I’m not in it, but I’ve read on twitter that some are asking Labour what they are going to do about this misuse of data.

If I was on the list I’d definitely be complaining!

Ereshkigal Tue 20-Mar-18 18:39:39

Yes I'm on it too.

AreYouTerfEnough Tue 20-Mar-18 18:41:05

I really think Labour are bang out of order employing this individual. They are not taking responsibility for this person’s actions at all. It’s disgusting.

I’ve seen Labour behave pretty pathetically in the past, but this is horrible and it makes them look totally reckless and out if touch. They’re behaving like total amateurs. There is no dignity in this party anymore. I will never support or vote for them again. Not that they care because I’m a woman of course.

Labour are a laughing stock.

ThatEscalatedQuickly Tue 20-Mar-18 18:41:22

Is the list published somewhere? What is Lily playing at, surely in dodgy territory for data protection reasons?

tobee Tue 20-Mar-18 18:47:34

Labour are just a disgrace atm. I'm ashamed.

Ihavesomeballs Tue 20-Mar-18 18:52:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 18:54:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DarthArts Tue 20-Mar-18 18:54:54

Ok so LM's twitter account is a personal one and LM (like anyone else) has the right to block individuals or subscribe to blocker services (such as the recently deceased TerfBlocker - who deleted their account following a spat with LM).

LM isn't using Labour Party data and anyone can publish the list of people they've chosen to block.

I'm not a fan of LM but there is no wrongdoing I can see.

If you have been blocked it's either because LM has blocked you in response to a tweet (not necessarily one made to LM) or your account is associated with another that's deemed persona non grata.

What is bizarre is how proud LM is of how many people are on the list. It's a how to guide for how to exist in your own echo chamber.

Equally it's a great way now to find out whose probably worth following on Twitter ;-) and I note one person seems to be using it to raise awareness of the petition by referencing usernames on it whilst tweeting the link.

GardenGeek Tue 20-Mar-18 18:56:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 18:56:48

blocktogether.org/show-blocks/f4i25QboWpkDJniUTRV6Un-jr7PhKc42K8Bl5Mek This is the list, almost all women. Graham Linehan is on it! You really could not make it up. It would be a joke if it wasn't so scary.

DarthArts Tue 20-Mar-18 18:59:11

Sorry - posted too soon.....

But please be clear this isn't anything to do with the Labour Party or it's data.

They could (theoretically) take a view of upholding a complaint about options made on a personal twitter account if they were in contravention of party rules - but recent complaints made by Jenifer James after being called a c@&t on twitter by another party member were dismissed hmm

Rufusbear Tue 20-Mar-18 19:07:42

I'm on the list.
Lily blocked me as I tweeted how positively my child's school were in helping trans teens.

HairyBallTheorem Tue 20-Mar-18 19:07:43

This thread may get pulled (as indeed the last one did).

However, before it does, I do agree that this is nothing to do with Labour in any official capacity (much as I am majorly pissed off with the fuckers and have cancelled my membership).

However, among others on that list is Karen Ingala Smith, and I would question the appropriateness of LM being a CLP women's officer when LM sees fit to block the voice of one of the foremost campaigners against VAW in the country.

OlennasWimple Tue 20-Mar-18 19:12:10

Yy, I can see how this is disquieting, but I can't see what locus the Labour Party has in this instance?

GardenGeek Tue 20-Mar-18 19:14:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thebewilderness Tue 20-Mar-18 19:25:23

Publicly targeting women for harassment is a problem. A representative of a political party targeting women for harassment is a problem.
Particularly in light of the increased violence against women by transgender identified males.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 19:26:04

Jean Hatchet is on it too . I am genuinely worried about risks to my personal safety.

LifelongVaginaOwner Tue 20-Mar-18 19:26:24

Well I've complained. I don't think it's appropriate for a representative of the Labour Party to publicly label over 2000 Twitter users as people who make the platform unsafe for trans people. Using a block list is one thing, tweeting it out to followers with what is essentially an unfounded allegation against ever user on the list is another.

The Labour Party will do fuck all about as ever. But if nothing else it might stop the fucking canvassers knocking smile

SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 19:29:45

I've complained too.

MrsJoshDun Tue 20-Mar-18 19:29:52

I’m on the list, I believe because I was on the terfblocker list which I assume as I have tweeted #labourlosingwomen type tweets about all women shortlists and TIMs. Lily just copied over all the people on terfblocker. Never had any contact with Lily so I don’t think they’ve personally blocked me.

KochabRising Tue 20-Mar-18 19:31:26

Is there not a breach here I’m not so much publishing the list but in the context and intent?

If joe bloggs publishes a list of 100 people with no comment, then that’s one thing. If joe blogs publishes that same list with a corresponding note that ‘all these people are: racist/homophobic/whatever else’ or any kind of implied negativity or threat, doesn’t that fall under a different intent? Especially if those people are not ones who they have any direct contact with to justify their opinion.

I’m thinking of the difference between for example:
Kochabs name being on the electoral roll (neutral)
Kochabs name being on list of ‘people banned for...’ when kochab has not actually interacted with the people makingvthe assumption.

It’s the connection of the list with the potential slur that’s the issue.

Legal thoughts? Am I talking utter balls?

SirVixofVixHall Tue 20-Mar-18 19:35:50

I was just discussing that very point with DH Kochab.

LifelongVaginaOwner Tue 20-Mar-18 19:38:59

Is there not a breach here I’m not so much publishing the list but in the context and intent?

That's the angle I've gone for. Madigan has made the claim that everyone on the list makes Twitter 'unsafe'. I'm on the list. I dispute that I do.

I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't matter whether your Twitter handle is your 'proper name'. What counts is that it a piece of personal data that relates only to you. But that's not really my area.

DarthArts Tue 20-Mar-18 19:40:07

As far as I'm aware LM hasn't directly called people on the list (I'm on it also btw) Transphobic- rather that by sharing it LM is making Twitter a safer space for Trans people.

It's a somewhat grey area in so far it's not a direct accusation - but there is an implication that people on the list are making twitter "unsafe" as it were.

Anyone can make a complaint to the LP by email but the basis here isn't use of party data, rather it would be the implication that people listed make the Trans community feel unsafe based on the tweet below.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: